PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just curious if anyone else has had this blend and what they thought of it.
I myself just recently bought a tin, or rather box, of it just before Christmas.
I have to say the moisture level was absolutely perfect! The leaf looked beautiful. It packs wonderfully and burns tremendously well.
I believe it has a fruit topping added. I noticed in the smell mostly cherry, but in the flavor it came through as cherry/fruity/creamy. I have to say having had the blend right around the time that Per Jensen was on the radio show he was dead on in saying that it's a perfect marriage of top dressing and tobacco flavors. Neither one over powers the other. They both are very mellow and complimentary.
It didn't gurgle or goop up the bowl. Didn't cause tongue burn/bite at all. Just a wonderful. pleasant, flavorful smoke.
I will definitely be getting the Halberg Green and Red blends after having the Yellow.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I have tried all three of the blends and they were very good. My favorite was the green.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I reviewed them and many other MacBaren products in this thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-macbaren-reviews
Here's what I wrote about the Halberg series:

MacBaren Halberg Green:

Presented within one of the classiest boxes ever designed for a tobacco product, it's mild with an extremely gentle, but full explosion of fruit flavor. The Virginias and burleys more or less take a back seat to the fruity, light citrus, and berry taste of this ribbon and cross-cut blend. The Virginias may add a little of the citrus, though I think it mainly comes more from the topping. An essence of cherry adds to the complex fruit profile, also including a bare hint of vanilla, and an occasional tart note. Smooth and creamy, burns cooly, evenly, and slowly without a hint of a chemical taste. In some ways, it's a better, more complex, deeper tasting, smoother version of Amphora Red. Perhaps the best fruit flavored blend I have ever smoked, it also reminds me of the kind of liqueur one savors after an expensive meal.
MacBaren Halberg Red:

The Virginias have a natural sweetness, and some earthy notes from them and the burleys, which play in the background. There's also a slight toast note to the burleys. The black cavendish chips in with an very mild vanilla that compliments the sweet, almost fruity topping. Ribbon cut with broken flake that burns smooth, even, and dry without much moisture. Not one hint of a chemical taste exists here. Presented within one of the classiest boxes ever designed for a tobacco product, it's a well crafted, mild all day smoke that doesn't wear out your tongue or senses with a full flavor that never quits.
MacBaren Halberg Yellow:

More cross-cut and broken flake than ribbon, but burns perfectly all the way to the end of the bowl with no harshness. Like the Red and the Green, it is mild with the full taste of various fruit flavors, including apricot, berries, cherry, lemon, and maybe a hint of mango. The black cavendish adds a very complimentary vanilla taste that provides a light bass note without competing for taste. The various flavors one normally expects from lemon yellow and brown Virginias are present, though subdued. The burleys are mildly earthy, mostly sweet and slightly nutty. I get a little less of the berry notes and more of the citrus than I do in the Red and Green entries in the series. Not one hint of a chemical taste exists here. Presented within one of the classiest boxes ever designed for a tobacco product, it amazes me that all three of the aforementioned blends are mild in strength, yet very full of flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.