PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I recently picked this up from my B&M and while I loved the tin note, smoking it was almost painful (literally!). I tried puffing really slow and not very often but it got the bowl of my pipe so hot I couldn't even touch it! I have only smoked it once so I might try a different pipe next time. Anyone else have this problem?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I get the best out of VA#1 by loading it about a half hour before either in a little 317 P-Lipped Pete System or in my Royal Lane Dublin which has a conical chamber and THICK walls. Oh, and don't rub it out or try to top off with the dust, that stuff turns into gunpowder :puffpipe:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am not fond of Va Number 1, but that's a taste issue.

Have you tried a looser pack? From my experience, a looser pack helps cool down MacBaren blends considerably.
Although I never see it mentioned here, IMO MacBaren HH Virginia blows their Virginia Number 1 out of the water. I have several tins of it cellared. It will never be more than "I smoke about a tin a year" blend for me, but Va Number 1 is a "never again".

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I think I'm going to give it a few more goes to see if I can calm it down. If not, i'll probably try to trade it on here

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Va #1 is one of my favorite mild-flavored smokes. You need the right pipe. Big/fat Cherrywoods handle it and any Va very well.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I smoke it all the time with little burn. It works the best if you you pull it right out of the tin and stuff it on the medium to tight side in a medium to small bowled pipe. I rarley have a problem with it biting, just keep trying

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I try playing around with some different techniques. I'll let you know how it goes.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I tried my second bowl in a different pipe and it was a bit better, but I still got pretty bad tongue bite. The bowl never got too hot but I must have re-lit about 20 times. I am going to give it one more shot in my cob to decide whether or not to keep it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@frennchy11 It must be a case of what cortezattic speaks of, nothing to do with technique or pipe selection, your mouth just doesn't get along with it. If you decide to rid of it let me know and I'll trade ya something for it.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
Alright sounds good. Too bad though cause when I did get it to burn fine (rarely) it actually tasted very good! I'll let you know how the last bowl goes.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Could be the sugar content burning hot I always get a hint of honey from the blend . You will find the right pipe a small billard perhaps .

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
I smoke this blend regularly. I smoke it in a small chambered bowl with very thick walls and I sip it slowly. Never seemed to have a problem. Also, I don't rub it out anymore than it already is. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.