Mac BAren Virginia No. 1 first impressions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I must first thank cosmicfolklore for suggesting this ready rubbed flake, it is indeed a good match for those that like Newminster 400 Navy Flake (if I am any indication at least). I bought some in bulk, as the tins were sold out at the time of my TAD. There was a bit of pre-made dottle at the bottom of the bag but most of it looked like a nice light colored flake that had been rubbed out roughly. I think the blend is straight Virginia but you definitely catch some lovely fragrance when you take a whiff. There is definitely honey in the smell and a generally sweetness to the aroma, with maybe a hint of fruitiness (not casing though, if I understand correctly). The moisture on my baccy was pretty much perfect out of the bag, I'm going to have to seal up the rest of it so it keeps around the same content. I packed the bowl of my Chacom Maya Zulu and stepped out into the rainy day, perching up against the building under the eaves to stay dry. After a couple char lights, I fired it up and settled in. I must say this is exactly what I look for in a Virginia, a clean, mild smoke with great VA flavor and subtle hints of citrus and toasted sweetness. I only needed one relight as it neared the dottle and it was probably my fault for taking a bit too long to sip. I brought a bottle of water with me but didn't even need to open it. I used a nice slow cadence and I think it would be necessary, I could see this blend biting if you were to get on it too hard. If your looking for a mellow VA flake or a good summer smoke, give it a try.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sounds spot on to me.
I definitely pick up an added sweetness beyond the natural that tastes like honey.
Glad you enjoyed it! :puffy:

Great!! I'm glad that you liked it. It's a very under-rated sweet Virginia, IMO. I like to smoke with a fruit juice on hand, but you're right, it's not required. I find the sweetness keeps me salivating enough with just the smoke.
I think that I'll pop a jar of this tomorrow for breakfast :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That sounds like a first-rate Virginia experience, which is such a good alternative and counterpoint

to English blends, for example. Another Va. blend I haven't tried that sounds intriguing is McClellands

Carolina Deluxe (805) -- hope I have that name right, but the number's correct. It seems to follow

the adage, let Virginia be Virginia. Sometimes less is more in blending.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I can't smoke it straight but like it mixed with PA or CH. Just bought a bag of it at the local discount cigarette store where I buy my OTC's. They had it marked down to $20.00.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
My VA#1 first impressions: Ow, my tongue.
Seriously though, I agree that this is a good summer smoke and has a nice Virginia flavor, but dang- why do most Mac B's bite like they are completely drenched in sugar? OP, have you ever tried a Virginia flake, like Gawith FVF or F&T Cut Virginia Plug?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Definitely one of my favourites, had some on Wednesday with a year of age on it, mellowed the bite a bit and still had that nice honey sweetness. Great stuff for the summer

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
My first impressions of #1 was like rinsing my mouth with thumb tacks. Of course I deserved all of it, because I wasn't smoking it properly. It really isn't such a bastard of a blend after all. Nice and sweet, if you smoke it "nice and sweet."

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
OP, have you ever tried a Virginia flake, like Gawith FVF or F&T Cut Virginia Plug?

I have not at this time. It was actually my inexperience with flakes that lead me to seek suggestion. Luckily, I know VA's are like a woman, treat her right or she may bite. :wink: I could see No.1 getting rough if one wasn't going slow and smooth but I didn't get any bite myself. I will add your suggestions to my list. I was looking at the new SG spring and summer flakes as well.
*Mods, feel free to fix my capital A in the title, if you like.*

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I love this stuff. Actually on my way to go get another tin as I typ...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Sounded good until I found out it was an aromatic.

They claim it is straight Virginia but it seems people disagree on the honesty of that statement. If it is cased, it is extremely light.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ah... OK. It was listed as an aro on P&C. Hell, maybe I'll give it go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Yeah, Phil. I smoked Virginia #1 for a long time when I first got into piping, and it's really a straightforward tobacco tasting tobacco. The honey really just brings out the Va's natural sweetness. I'm a fan of it, might have to order up a 1lb box of they have them. I'd prefer full flakes over ready-rubbed.

If this one is an aromatic, then about 90% of the straight Virginias would have to be labelled that way too. Nah, it's just a light casing of honey. Newminster's Navy Flake is way heavier on the casing, but still a great smoke. I've been smoking it almost all day today. Great stuff, and I love that little kitten bite of a tingle it gives.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Come to think of it; I enjoy Dunhill Royal Yacht, which is also also listed as an aromatic, and I didn't pay attention to that fact until now.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Got a tin of this in the P&C grab-bag back in Feb or March. Opened it up and jarred it. So, I've been eyeing it ever since. I think this thread has convinced me to give it a whirl....nice and slow....nice and slow....

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Even though I no longer like aro’s I gave in and ordered a tin of this and I’m glad I did thanks to the input here. It really didn’t strike too much on the first two bowls, but I never judge a tobacco with only a couple of bowls. I tend to like ‘heavier’ tobaccos, and VaPer’s, VaBur’s etc. But, lately it’s been quite hot here (like to smoke outside while I can) and the ‘heavier’ blends seem to be somewhat distasteful on the very hot days outside.
Today, which was another very hot day, I decided not to even smoke but I finally gave in and stuffed a bowl full of this in a MM cob and it was pure delight much to my chagrin. I normally only smoke about two or three bowls a day, and never the same tobacco. However, on this particular day I smoked two bowls of it and each was very satisfying. I’ve read reviews on this tobacco as to it biting, but I’ve yet to encounter that. Then again, it seems as though Mac Baren, from the countless reviews I’ve read, seems to have a reputation for its tobaccos having a bite, but I think that is simply total BS as I have numerous blends from them and I’ve never encountered their tobacco as having a ‘bite’ any more than any other tobacco (not that it does). I honestly think that this conception that Mac Baren tobaccos ‘bite’ is nothing more than psychosomatic from people having read reviews that it is has a reputation for being so, and therefore encounter something that simply does not exist any more so than any other tobacco that might ‘possibly’ bite.

Jan 8, 2013
This one has been on my try list for a while, thanks for the review, and all the comments, I am gonna have to get my hands on some soon.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I think this VA is one of those that is definitely underrated. I passed over it many times until it showed up in my IPSD goodie box from P&C this past year.
It's a nice sweet blend with great tobacco flavor. As stated above though, you have to tame it or it will bite. Alot of the Macbaren stuff has this bad rap and it's a shame. They make outstanding tobacco, you just have to put in a little work and patience and learn how to smoke them.

Status
Not open for further replies.