PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I picked up a tin of Mac Baren's Virginia Flake at my local B&M a couple weeks ago and I like it, but I'm wondering how it compares with their Virginia 1. The Virginia 1 comes in bulk at about half the cost of a tin of the Virginia Flake. Does anyone have experience with these two blends? Would I be as happy with the bulk Virginia 1 as I am with the Virginia Flake in a tin?

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I've been poised to start buying some bulks to cellar for the uncertain future and was wondering the same thing. I'll be checking this thread for further details.

Dec 24, 2012
my hunch is that it is the same stuff except #1 has the goopey Danish honey (or whatever the topping is that MacBaron commonly uses) while HH VF doesn't.

M

I think Virginia #1 is just Virginia Flake rubbed out. Sort of like MacBaren's Old Dark Fired Flake and Old Dark Fired RR.
This makes sense. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to ask an online retailer that sells both. They should be able to say for sure.
Thanks for your responses guys.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There's 3 products being discussed here now. Mac Baren Virginia #1 which is a ready-rub. Mac Baren Virginia Flake which is the tiny wasp-yellow tin, and Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia.
HH Pure is a heat pressed flake, and it's a little... dead, honestly, compared to the Virginia Flake outright. The Virginia Flake is really sweet, obviously has a little top dressing, but I don't find it quite as obviously a honey-fest as V#1. I gave a few flakes to a fried who smokes bigger richer stuff mostly, but he's on board with virginias.... and he took a puff and said "Wow that's sharp." and another puff or two and he said "Wow that's good" and then he ordered a pound for the cellar.
So. The Virginia Flake is a bright, sharp, sweet virginia. When you have it just so, it's magic. I never found magic outright with Va#1, but I haven't had it in a long time either so I can't give a head-to-head. I remember it being pretty honey-forward and pretty nippy.
The HH Pure is good product, don't get me wrong, but it's way more tame - all the edges are steamed right out so it's a much more uniform flavor presentation and a much less finicky smoke.
I think people who like any or all of Capstan (yellow particularly), Dunhill Flake, Brunello, CVP or CBP from FT... then a tin of this Virginia Flake from Mac is worth a try. If you like virginias dirty and mean, like a brown flake, then this is a far cry.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
PS, also in talking about ready-rubbed vs flake, Per Jensen said that the final top flavor is added AFTER rubbing on the ready rub, so there's probably more on there than the flake... I think this was in regards to Capstan. It might well hold true of the virginias in question as well?

M

Thanks for your response Sasquatch. It was very helpful. I haven't tried either Virginia #1 or the HH Pure Virginia Flake. I picked the tin of Virginia Flake up on a whim and have come to like it. It's a light, mild, and brighter Virginia that burns really cool and clean. The thing I like most about it is that it leaves no room note, so the wife likes it, giving me an all day smoke for the house. She doesn't mind other blends, and doesn't say a thing about my smoking, but I want to keep it this way. This blend is going to help me keep it this way while also giving me a blend I enjoy. It's no flavor bomb by any stretch, but it's pretty good, and I can't believe how it leaves no noticeable room note. It's smells like I didn't even smoke about 15 minutes after I've finished a bowl. Pretty amazing. None of the other similar blends I've tried do this. Again, thanks for all the responses.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
You are wise to keep SWMBO happy. There are only 2 blend my wife hates and they don't get smoked in the house at all.
You can buy that flake in bulk, it's 50 bucks a pound or so. I'm not sure what "cheap" tobacco is compared to that, but to me, that's pretty good value.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
The HH VF is a very, very nice mellow toasty smoke. Not too sweet or too freshly green. I do like to add half of a flake of BK or ODF to it on occasion to give some ummmphff. Frankly, though, it is likely heretical to many pure VA smokers, I like to add occasional ummmphff to all my McClelland VAs :puffy: I know at heart I am a burley lover and that I can never enter the pristine holy hall of the pure VA inner sanctum.

Status
Not open for further replies.