PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Here I go acting brave again, reviewing a blend that has been reviewed over and over again, probably by consecrated reviewers with far more credibility than I. Non the less, I have been meaning to try this for a long time and since I had some difficulty in obtaining the tobacco the anticipation contributed to the itch a tad more .. so right now I am more than pleased to scratch that.
Preferred Pipe : Stanwell Zebrano, 9 mm filter, filter used: Vauen Dr Pearl
The variation of the blend that I am reviewing is the ready rubbed, 50 gr pouch. The nose out of the packaging is welcoming, with a medium dark hint of dried fruit, and a slight vinegar smell - not the McCleland type of vinegar (which for me has become a benchmark and which personally I dislike), but just a tad astringent. JimInks mentioned this as well, as a possible preservative, but to no effect on the actual smoke experience.
Once I light I don't get a full blown aromatic going on, quite the opposite, it seems more of a Va/Bur, earthy and dark with some hints of "I can't put my finger on" which I guess resembles some nameless dried fruit (sweet and raisiny). The first puffs are smooth, with the virginia - kentucky combo being quite balanced. I am happy with this, since this is labeled as an aromatic, and I am not getting a soapy/candy like aromatic. So I puff gently, then I tamp for my first time to settle the baccy after the light. Right out of the briar the stinging sensation I had from clay is completely gone, but unlike the clay I can hardly feel any citrus - even with that experience I wouldn't be able to tell you which citrus it was, be that lemon, orange or anything else. I guess it was rather more of an acidic sensation that one would associate with drinking a no sugar added citrus squeezed juice. Getting back to the briar experience, after the tamp I have my bowl going and I am stepping away from fruity to flower. Judging by my taste, this flowery aroma stays with you all the way to the end of the bowl, with a slight variation after its first half. Once my bowl is somewhat past its middle point, I get a very faint tonka seed/anise flavor, a quite welcoming change, sufficiently mute as I cannot stand the two spices, nor do I think I would like such a strong presence in a tobacco. Mind you that all these flavors I am describing do not in any way take over the respective tobacco tastes, which all the way remain the main violin.
Overall I had no problems with this blend, no relights, easy packing, no drying needed. Take this last remark with a pinch of salt, as I do like to smoke damp, and after two bowls using the same filter I had some moist in the heel with a very damp filter. I would highly recommend this tobacco, and now that I know where to get it from (Spain - thanks to a fellow pipe club member from Bucharest, who moved there) I will keep it constantly in my rotation. Final note: this is another great aromatic, that is not quite an aromatic, with a mild to medium nicotine content and a wonderful aftertaste. ??? I don't know what to say about the room note, the wife sure doesn't think it smell like spring flowers ... but finds it agreeable.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Thank you. I've smoked the flake version, but it's been a while. I never tried to analyse the flavors more than that it was va/bur with fruit and lemon. I really liked it, though. Good review.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've been reaching for this one quite a bit lately........ I get the cider vinegar and some wonderful flowery notes as well. My only wish is that it had a bit more Vitamin N in it............

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Good review! I prefer the RR, but the flake is good to. Always in my rotation...

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
A favorite of mine. The dark-fired is not overwhelming and adds just enough spice to the flavor. I can see why this has been a favorite of the common man in England over the decades

Status
Not open for further replies.