PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I've been smoking a pipe for almost five years now, having started a little later in life at thirty four years old. I have a modest collection of twenty two different tobacco blends - a couple Lane aros, a few english blends, some burley forward blends, a couple nice C&D blends, a couple of va/pers and this MacBaren Mixture - Scottish Blend.
I'm giving this blend a shout out, because it's the first blend that has me reaching for it almost every time I go to my shelf these days. I look over all the others I have, thinking I may want something else, but then I always go for the Mac B Scottish. I really enjoy it. It lights well and burns great. I just gently rub it out between my fingers, not my palms, to just break it up a little and loosen it for packing. I don't dry it at all. The moisture level seems perfect for me. I've smoked it mostly in .80" diameter bowls, no filters. It will bite a little if I'm not careful, but that's ok, because it tastes better when I'm careful anyway. Saving a little for a retrohale tingles the nose a bit in a good way. Maybe this is the one.
...if it doesn't end up on a discontinued list like my beloved BLB. Fingers crossed.
Peace,

Bill

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I was surprised to see it was considered aromatic also. I will say I and my family enjoy the aroma very much, but I appreciate that it is not very sweet.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've heard it's one of MacBaren's top seller in Europe, so I doubt you'll see it discontinued any time soon. I like it a lot, but as previously noted, it needs to be smoked slowly or at a moderate rate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've found the Mac Baren blends a little harsh -- Danish Gold and Navy Mixture (loose tobacco), if I remember the names

of the blends. Especially the Navy Mixture, I tried to dry it, age it, mix it, and never could get a comfortable smoke.

Probably I just chose the wrong blends for me. Now I'm off on pleasant adventures with C&D burley blends and various

English blends and even aros, from Lanes, McClellands, Altadis, and others. If I get back to Mac Barens, I'll research them

carefully to see if I can find one that is most likely to suit me. The C&D burley blends are awe-inspiring, full strength but

so ingeniously blended and proportioned that I am lost in the experience. Hard to top them for me right now.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Interesting you mention that mso489. I've been thinking my next order will be C&D Burleys. ...any particular recommendations?

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I like the stuff! The first time I smoked it, I liked it too much so it became the ONLY tobacco that has ever gave me a tongue bite that felt like I just kissed a stapler. :rofl:

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I thoroughly enjoy the tin I have as well. I had it on my list for a while but after JD from the Country Squire talked about how it was his go-to blend I figured I should try it sooner rather than later. It's great!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review of MB Scottish Blend if it's of any help.
Because it's a complex medium blend aromatic with a variety of flavors, I had to smoke a lot of it before gaging how to describe this one. I didn't mind doing that because the more I smoked it, the more I liked it. Sometimes the Kentucky in the blend is more evident than other times, but no matter how present it is or isn't, it relays a very tasty spice note that contrasts nicely with creamy flavors. I don't know what kind of liquor topping it has, but it's pleasant and compliments the mild sweetness of the blend with a fruit and honey taste. And the cavendish hints of a mild sweet taste that works well with the topping. The burley is choice, with a little nutty mild earthy touch. The Virginia is slightly sweet and woodsy, with perhaps a touch of citrus, and creates a solid base for the other flavors. Occasionally, one bowlful will taste a little different from another, but that's due to how you pack it, and whether or not one component is more present in your pipe than other times. I like that.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
My favorite use to be Burley London Blend, and it didn't bite me at all. Scottish will bite a bit if I'm not careful on my relights, but overall it doesn't bite me during my puffing unless I go too fast. There was a Westminster blend I tried once that I just could not smoke at all, no matter how slow I tried, but I don't get this with Mad Barens. I hear a lot about McBite, but I've never experienced it in a big way. I wish I had a useful suggestion for how to keep it at bay. I don't do anything special, so I suspect it must be a pH thing.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I got some 1979 scottish off ebay last year. Took it to the PNW pipe meet in Camas Wa. We all loved it!! Great blend

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
The Scottish Blend has been a fantastic go to smoke for me. I keep the pouches in the glove box of my car and use it for general go to easy smoke. Coupled with a cob i find i can keep the bite under control without too much trouble.
+1 from me!!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like Mixture myself. I'm currently working through a tin I set aside in 2009. I've got a Dunedin bullmoose that smokes it beautifully. It is a huge seller for MacB all over the world, as I understand it.

MacB aficionados recommend packing a little looser if you are having trouble with bite. (MacB also recommends this.)

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
This sounds like where I want to go next in my tobacco adventure.
Can anyone comment on how Scottish Blend compares with Original Choice?

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
I smoke regurarly Original Choice in the morning and I like it because of its fruity taste (but it tastes of tobacco too) and its mildness, well suited to me for a morning smoke. Having tried Scottish Blend about two years ago, this left me disappointed: I smoked an entire pouch of it, but I felt generally little if any taste. Maybe I have to try again...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yep,Scottish was light and fragrant, yet did tend to bite,on the same league I like much better that less bitey more one dimensional Golden Extra

its a nice and dependable Burley forward blend yet widely available.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I just bought an ounce of this at my local shop. I also bought an ounce of light Burley. I have mixed them together and it smells remarkable. Going to fire up my first bowl of this mix tonight for Ol' St. Patty!
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.