Mac-Baren Mixture Flake (the Flying Wallendas of blends)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
My tin dates to July 2013. Certainly not well-aged, but a bit of age on it. When it arrived a month or so ago I heat-sealed half the tin in a small mason jar to age for another six months to a year. The remainder went into another small mason jar for daily use.
My first impressions of this tobacco were not positive. I was making the new pipe smoker mistake of comparing this to other tobaccos not in its genre. It arrived with an order other tobaccos, including a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced, and as I'm a Virginia lover, it just didn't stack up to OGS. I figured a flake is a flake. Newbie error.
A month of aging in the non-sealed mason jar has done wonders for this tobacco. Or perhaps I'm just beginning to appreciate each tobacco for what it brings to the palate. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this tobacco - the tin describes it as a blend of Virginia, Burley, Cavendish, and lightly aromatic. A very apt description.
Mixture Flake was my morning smoke today. Once lit, it stayed lit to the bottom of the chamber. And I really enjoyed it. Really really enjoyed it.
The tin note is slightly sweet, though to my nose not indicative of what it might taste like when lit. And once lit, today's smoke was very nice: an extremely well-balanced blend of tobaccos with just a hint of a sweet casing - and to my taste buds it seemed more on the cherry side rather than vanilla, but I wouldn't go to the mat on that. The room note was very pleasant - a tobacco that I believe non-pipe smokers would not find offensive. By the time I smoked half-way down the bowl the sweet flavor started to wane, but the sweetness of the fragrance remained. Smoked down to ash, there was no harshness, just a balance of flavors.
It is my Flying Wallendas of tobacco - balance, balance, balance. There is nothing extreme about this tobacco in any way: it is a mild smoke, moderate nicotine, mild casing, and a balance and synergy of three tobaccos. I can see how some might find this tobacco non-distinctive, and perhaps that's what I like best about it. The tin describes it as a tobacco that can be smoked all day long (don't all tins say that?), and in this case it's true.
This will become a staple among my morning smoke tobaccos. And perhaps I'll give it a try smoking it all day at some point.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great post -- especially with the picture, because it piqued my appetite for a bowl. I think you nailed this one pretty well emphasizing the balance of body, flavor and strength. You should consider posting reviews like this at Luxury Tobacco Reviews.com because in the forums posts get pushed off the boards within a few days, and not everybody will read it right away.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
You should consider posting reviews like this at Luxury Tobacco Reviews.com because in the forums posts get pushed off the boards within a few days, and not everybody will read it right away.
There is another tobacco review site that I do post on now, and will definitely post there. I am unfamiliar with Luxury Tobacco Reviews - must check it out. Thanks!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I agree with Andy. This is a very pleasant, balanced smoke, but one lacking a real identity. I smoke Mixture Flake very infrequently, but when I do, I always enjoy it and think I should smoke more of it. Whatever the casing is, it's very light and I can't characterize it as any particular flavor; it just adds a little pleasant sweetness. I usually notice a pronounced nuttiness in the second half of the bowl that is very nice.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are many MB tobaccos that I would love to like, especially as their 100 g tins give you twice the amount of tobacco as 50 g tins, for about the same price. Though I can smoke Navy Flake and Latakia Flake, everything thing else that I smoke of theirs as full of bite. So I stay away.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Nice review!
This is one of the very few Mac Baren blends that does not give me bite. Its really good with some age on it, wait until its 5 years or so and you will be in a for a serious treat.
I get no bite from their HH series so I wonder what is done differently in blending those compared to their regular line?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don't have a problem smoking MacBaren anymore and, as mentioned above, the price per tin is very reasonable. I actually have a tin of Mixture Flake open presently. It isn't a bad smoke but I don't dip into it daily by any means. I've been enjoying the second half of a 1970's era 7 oz tin of Virginia #1 daily, that is a treat to be sure!
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.