PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I figured they'd replace HH Mature VA with something.
I think they discontinued HH Mature Virginia because they were re-branding the HH line to be a pure tobacco line with very minimal casing and absolutely no top dressing. Pretty sure Mature Virginia had a top dressing on it and that's why it got discontinued.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
The review was very positive. I look forward to trying some of this. I'll be interested also to see what others round here think.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have a wedding to attend this weekend, so I can't snag a few tins this week. I'll probably put in an order for some next week with my paycheck. I'm definitely picking up a tin to have now and one or two to cellar for a while.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I just tried it yesterday, to write a description for it and think it's well worth a try for fans of Virginias. Not my favorite ever, but definitely notable.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm in no hurry to pay $21 for 3.5 oz. of Anything. I'll wait for the sale.
I still think that's a good deal. A lot of tins run $12 for 50 grams. Double that up to 100 grams and its $24. They're only asking $21 for a 100 gram tin.
I do recall a few years back when Mac Baren's 100 gram tins were only $15. That's part of the reason why I got into Mac Baren blends, because you got twice the tobacco for the same price. I was surprised they kept the pricing like that for so long. I knew one day they'd hike them up, but was still a bit bummed when they actually did just recently.
If it sells really well in tins they'll probably end up doing a 1lb box for the typical $45 or $48.
I want to try the blend and if I enjoy it I'll buy more tins to cellar and hopefully help influence the blend going to the 1lb box.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Sure, the price/weight is only a bitter pill to swallow in comparison to their prices a few months back. Some of us still have a hard time reconciling the price of gas relative to the size of industry profits vs 10 years ago. Of course, some of us have now entered our 40's and fist waiving is apparently part of the aging process.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Can't wait for Friday getting a tin of Pure Virginia. Watching the review above and knowing how much I like Old Dark Fired, I'll probably like this. Smoking Pipes went up $5 or $6 on the 1 lbs. Old Dark Fired also. That wasn't the case on the initial price hike. The object is to make money, not bleed money.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It is too much for the amount, especially considering that Dunhill Flake, Astley's #44, FVF, and Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake are all cheaper. However, Sutliff did send me a 1.75 ounce tin for review, and I will do that. I just opened the tin, and the flakes are dark brown with a few lighter brown streaks. The smell is sweet, earth, grass and citrus Virginia, and if it tastes anything like it smells, I expect I will like it.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I tried it recently and found it a bit lemony with hints of hay and honey. What caught me by surprise was a pleasant dose of white pepper on the finish. I can imagine that it will become quite popular among Virginia fans.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.