Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake..... First Impressions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I was sent a sample of this to try by another member (who shall remain anonymous), who received on of the very first tins to enter the country.

Upon receiving, I was immediately impressed! The dark, rich appearance of these little flakes screams "Im GOOD, smoke me now!" The tin note pretty much echoes the appearance, dark, earthy, smokey ect.

The flakes were at near perfect moisture for immediate smoking, rubbed out as easily as any flake ever has for me, and packed very nicely!

On the charring light I instantly knew that this was a special tobacco.

It took to the match very well, with a good char, light tamp, and a good true light.
On the charring light I was hit with that familiar zing of a quality Latakia's smokey, BBQ and vinegar flavor..... Simply wonderful!

Once the true light settles in, the Va's and Burley start to show themselves. The balance of Va, Burley and Latakia in this blend is brilliant!

Everything really starts to meld after the first 5 minutes or so, and only continues to do so even more throughout the bowl.

The Va's lend natural sweetness and hay like tones, while the Burley add a subtle nutty flavor and a slight earthiness.

The Latakia is the star of the show, though to my tastes, is not completely dominant as the other components do make themselves known at all times.

This blend has a good body to it, and is very creamy. It leaves your mouth feeling coated with its goodness!

It's smooth to no end, and somehow gets smoother as the bowl progresses. It produces lots of visible white smoke, which is very pleasing. It has absolutely no bit whatsoever, and it's very low maintenance.

It burns cool and dry to the very end, with very few relights (I only had one), and burns to fine ash.

All in all, I could not be more pleased, and I'm glad I was able to get my hands on a little over a pound of this fine tobacco yesterday, before it was sold out.

I would put this one on the same playing field as Sam Gawith's Balkan Flake, only this one requires a lot less prep and maintenance throughout the bowl.
Mac Baren, you've gone and done it again, and for that I thank you very much!

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
+1 petes03 Great review. This is a great blend. I think it many be months until it is readily available.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Great review Dan as usual, thanks so much. I also got 5 tins ordered yesterday so I am looking forward to trying this. SP order confirmation says I should receive Monday, so I already have my dessert planned out. I am glad to hear that it is ready to go with little to no drying time.
I am curious to know if you will try it cube cut and fold-and-stuff, or do you only smoke your flakes rubbed out?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks guys!
@Dan. I typically fold most all of my flakes, and I've never been big on the cube cut method. This one I folded over once, and only slightly rubbed out. It's a fine, thin flake that lends itself very easily to that method.

Even when I fold my flakes, I generally scrunch them up quite a bit, which is very similar to rubbing one out lightly, but still has different burning characteristics than a fully rubbed out flake.

But I imagine that this one would do well with most any method!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Great and solidly in depth review! Thanks to Pat, i got my 5 tins as well and because i am so close to SPC's warehouse in SC, it is out for delivery as i type from UPS. You can't beat overnight shipping for standard shipping cost, or free shipping in almost every other case because i always buy enough to qualify. Can't wait to try this heavily hyped stuff out tonight and again, many thanks for the heads up thread, Pat!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's a nice review, Dan. Your smoking experience with this flake mirrored my own. I also did a fold and stuff, of one flake, which I crumbled slightly as I stuffed it. I loaded it into my Pete 80S and did a fairly firm tamp, getting the draw to just lighter than pulling a milkshake through a straw. As with your experience the first flavours I detected were the tangy, bright, high sweet/savoury notes of the Latakia. The sugars in the VAs and Burleys really helped the smoke develop into a full, creamy and round smoke by the middle of the bowl. I felt like that depth and sweetness held until the bottom of the bowl.
I'm going to cube cut the flake on my next smoke to see if there's a perceptible difference in the smoke. I'm anticipating a richer and sweeter experience, but we'll see.
-- Pat

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm not a Latakia fan, but I just received an email from SP's yesterday 05/07 (as I'm sure many of us did)about this coming in with a sale of 5 or more tins. They are sold out already and I can't see it available on any other sites.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Phil67: Smoking Pipes has a window of exclusivity, so they'll be the only ones selling it for a while. They did the same thing with Three Nuns as I recall.
Petes03: Great review, man! :clap:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks for the impressions here.
I ordered a tin just off of the description, since I am a serious Latakia fan. I also like slices/flakes, even though I always rub them out, because I think they keep their moisture a little better in long term storage.
Looking forward to trying it out.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I've been looking for something to smoke which has latakia in it, but doesn't suffer from the intense thinness which something like 965 has. I'll need to try this one.

Thanks

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
Not good at picking out flavors. Smoking a bowl now I will just say smooth and creamy.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have a tin and have tried it. It has a very unique aroma in the tin. Very moist in the tin. Probably needs to set out for a day or three. The flake crumbles easily so no need to really rub it out or cube it unless you want to. I am a real Latakia lover but this blend was simply too tame to really tickle my fancy. MB lists it as a medium strength tobacco but to me it is quite mild. The flavor isn't particularly noticeable. My guess is that if you don't have a sophisticated palate this blend might be too subtle for you.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Excellent review; thanks for posting your experience! I am looking forward to trying this blend.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
Smoked a bowl tonight after 90 minutes dry time and fully rubbed out. It burned better this way and was very good but the flavor didn't seem as deep and rich as in flake form.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Foggymountain: I heard MacBaren heavily stockpiled Syrian latakia long before the problems of getting it started. They must have a goodly amount since they are still making Vintage Syrian. However, they are using Cyprian latakia in HH Latakia Flake according to my taste buds and tin description.

Status
Not open for further replies.