PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
Upon opening the rectangular tin, I’m greeted with three rows of perfectly aligned dark brown solid flakes. They feel slightly damp, but do not need to dry. I usually fold and stuff, but rubbing out works well if that’s your preference.
When smoking, I taste nuts, some earthiness, and chocolate, at times. It’s spicy but has some sweetness (molasses?) to it. It’s never harsh, even if I take quick puffs. It smokes well in various briars and cobs. It’s a slow burning tobacco, so set aside at least an hour to smoke.
This is an exceptional all-day burley. If you love burley, this will make you happy.

Reactions: Snow Hill

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
The first tobacco I ever bought a pound of at once. I love this stuff! It’s like Lane Ready Rubbed in a tuxedo.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Picked up two of the one pound boxes at its initial release just because it's a Mac Baren product. Good stuff.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Haven’t ordered any yet (kinda on a holding pattern as to that) how does this compare to ODF?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not in the same camp. ODF like BK showcases the Dark Fired Kentucky. BF is more like a richer flavored Carter Hall.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I generally choose Mac Baren tobacco very, very carefully. Not that it isn't great tobacco, because it is. But, some of the blends just set my tongue on fire.

However, HH BF is an outstanding tobacco.

If you slow puff this blend, you will be rewarded with one of the best smoking experiences you have had, if you like burley from Kentucky and topnotch Virginia.

The dark fired Kentucky comes through but in a subtle way. The Virginia is a tag-along player and the burley is there to give a little oomph to the whole thing.

I love this blend. It is excellent and I highly recommend you try it.

But, be careful. You might wind up like me: hooked on HH BF!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I concur. Really good quality and taste, excellent presentation, and great smoking qualities. If you like burley, get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.