Tags:   

Mac Baren HH - Acadian Perique

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow pipe smokers,

one of the tins from by last order was another blend from Mac Barens HH-line. I have only made (very) good experiences with those tobaccos (Bold Kentucky, Old Dark Fired) as well as I'll have to admit I pretty much like every blend Mac Baren produces (Three Nuns, Dark Twist, Navy Flake to name a few).

Acadian is so impressive and refined, that I instantly - not fell in love! But it tickled and teased me so much to delve into the variety of flavours it offers that it quickly became one of my favorite blends of all time!

Yet I'll have to admit, that for a while I hestitated to buy Acadian Perique, as I'm not too familiar with Orientals and all reviews stated that Acadian Perique isn't really a Va/Per as you might think of it (which I find to be true). It contains Perique, yet the Perique is just one of the excellent used tobaccos in this melange.

Now to the actual Review part:

As stated above, the first things which come to my mind when think of Harald & Henrik Halberg are: Insanely high quality and (most) natural tobaccos! All the blends from Mac Barens HH (Henrik Halberg) line are mostly natural, and only neccesary additions are used to blend the tobaccos. I really appreciate Mac Barens courage to dare releasing blends like those from the HH-line!

When opening the tin, which has a beautiful and traditional design you get greeted by a variety of scents. Slightly sweetish, spicy- and woodsy-tones dominate the smell. Theres a whiff of what's reminding me of ketchup a bit (quite similar to MBs Three Nuns tin smell tin note), but it isn't unpleasant at all. A tad of plum and raisin notes are also to be found. Very intriguing tin smell with many layers of scents to explore.

The tobacco is firmly pressed into the tin, almost in a Crumble Cakes fashion and consists of rather fine ribbons, of which some are very long. Colours vary from golden-yellow, to medium- and dark-brown, to straight up black. Teasing! Comes in perfect condition is rather on the dry side.

This is supposed to be all natural tobacco, Cavendish flavoured with honey to keep the tobacco from getting to dry is the only additive, as Mac Baren says - and I belive them! This must be the most natural tobacco (taste) I've got to smoke so far.

Due to it's low moisture level it's easy to light and keep lit. 1 match is enough. Packing and handling is just as easy.

Here comes the magic:
    Acadian Perique´s taste is outstandingly good. Honest, flavourful and natural tobacco is what's awaiting you. The dominating notes of this tobacco are dry, very woodsy and decently earthy from the dark fired Kentuckys, as well as from the Orientals used. A good share of spice to be noticed. The rather subtle, yet noticeable fruity tone of raisins and figs are contributed by the Perique, as well as a moderatly spicy peppery note enrich the flavour-profile at it's best. Nutty-notes are also detecable from the Burleys, which go along perfectly with the flavour-profile. Gentle sweetness and subtle citrusy-/hay-notes from the Virginias lurk in the back and round off the blend. The "original Cavendish", which I'm quite sure (because MB stated so) is Cavendish that's been treated with real honey or maple (in this case honey) adds a little honey-ish sweetness, to keep the balance between spicy and fruity-sweet tones. Yet the smoky, earthy and dry-woodsy notes prevail, so this is a rather hearthy blend with a creamy textured smoke.

Full of flavours to detect, multi-dimensional tobacco goodness of (outstandingly) natural taste. But never overwhelming! Everything is in balance and well rounded. Acadian Perique definetly benefits of wide bowls, just experiment a bit with bowl sizes and diameters if you like to.
    Due to the low moisture and the fine ribbon cut this blend burns down rather quickly.

Mac Baren´s Acadian Perique, is another excellent blend that's true to the natural taste of tobacco and seducing you with refined, rich smoke.

This blend joins the club of my most favorite blends of all time! From the simple, traditional-style tin, to the apperance of the tobacco, up to the taste - Acadian Perique is perfection. Even tho it's full of flavours and medium-strong (more on the medium side), I find it is well suitable as an All-Day-Smoke if you like to, yet I'll have to say it benefits from taking your time and attention for smoking this tobacco.

Review on TobaccoReviews.com

Hope you guys enjoyed reading it and may be tempted to buy a tin of it too, as it's really a gem.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

Nice review. I enjoy this blend as well and it accounts for about 3lbs in my cellar. I haven't smoked a bowl in quite some time...looks like I'll have to dive into a tin! Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I put a few pounds away six or seven years ago myself. Wish I had dine the same with HH Mature Virginia.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice review.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

You put a lot of effort into that review. Nice job. It's one of my favorites, and it's plain to see that it's one of yours.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. darthcider

darthcider

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bought a random tin a year or so ago.
    A good smoke.

Education is important, but motorbikes is importanter.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

piperray

Login to Send PM

Good review. I have always few tins of this superb blend in my "cellar", I've two Chacoms dedicated to this blend.
    -Ray

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   monkeylyf, 64alex, craiginthecorn, lawdawg, alaskanpiper, danimalia, derhammer, gatorlope, donjgiles, upnorth1