PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm a big fan of Club Blend, and have been wanting to try LBF, which seems quite similar. Has anyone had both who could offer some comparisons?

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
They are both very different blends, in terms of ingredients and taste.
MB Club Blend is Virginia/Cavendish blend with a distinct palate of fresh hay, cinnamon, cardamon.

PS LBF is a Virginia/Perique blend with a Cavendish center and very close to Escudo.
The only thing they have in common is the coin form.
I love Escudo/LBF for being supreme Va/Per blends - sweet, spicy, decent nic. But Club Blend is one of my all-time favorites and there isn't really anything else on the market that comes close, except for MB Dark Twist. Club Blend has a very unique taste.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I actually think they are more similar than that in terms of ingredients. I'll disagree outright on the cinnamon and cardamom - there's nothing like that in Club's ingredients. The "patented cavendish" is Mac Baren's home-made perique, spicy and dark. Add a little sugar on top of that mix and you get a real sweet but punchy/spicy blend in the Club - sort of a Danish take on a proper Va/Per. LBF lacks the sugar topping as far as I can tell, and is sweetened more by the black cavendish.
They're both "candy va/pers" in my opinion - poo-poo'd by the "serious" va/per crowd (as is the Davidoff variant).
I like Club a hell of a lot, and smoke more of that than any other blend.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for posting this Krizzose. I've smoked the latter but I'd like to give the Club Blend a try. I over looked that one somehow, I'll add it to my experiment list. Nice surprise.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thread Necro:
Okay I've been smoking Club Blend for about a week and I have to say I really like it.
I would say it's quite a bit different then LBF. Club Blend to me has a molasses front with a spicey ginger-like end from the Cavendish. It's got a very sweet component that isn't there in LBF for me.
Conversely LBF has a drier hay taste to it and the Perique comes out more peppery then fruit-like. The Cavendish is sweet in LBF but comes nowhere near the sweet/spice taste of Club Blend.
Two complete different beasts, but both extremely tasty IMO. Thanks for the original post or I wouldn't have tried the Club Blend.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
jah76, I just got some LBF last week, and I after a few bowls of it, I have to agree with you. It's very different from Club Blend, but both are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.