PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

soylentgreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2011
I've never tried any Mac Baren tobacco.
Can someone compare Golden Extra to Burley London Blend? What's the difference?
How do they compare to Prince Albert?
-Wayne

Jul 15, 2011
Can someone compare Golden Extra to Burley London Blend? What's the difference?
Burley London contains a slight bit of Virginia, whereas Golden Extra is pure burley. Golden Extra also states that the burleys are aged in casks to mellow out the flavor. I have a tin of both in the cellar but have never tried either of them. I do know that Symphony is a pretty darn good smoke though.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Every Mac Baren burley I have tried has been top notch, and much more rounded and complex than most American Classic Blends, aka OTCs. Burley London Blend, Golden Extra and Symphony are very good, while I feel Norwood is one of the best burley blends I've ever smoked.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Burley London contains a slight bit of Virginia, whereas Golden Extra is pure burley.
Eh, I think you might have that backwards. I'm reading the back of the tin of Golden Extra as I type this and it states that it contains a "touch of Virginia."
To answer the OP's question. I cant compare the two as I've only tried Golden Extra. But I will say this, since buying my first tin of Golden Extra it has since become my hands down all time favorite blend of any style or brand of tobacco. It's my staple, my "stranded on a desert island" tobacco. I love burley and I just adore this blend.
As for a comparison to Prince Albert. The best way I can illustrate this... PA is like a Hershey's chocolate bar. Its a good, solid example of its kind and can be quite good. Whereas Mac Baren Golden Extra is like a fine, imported European chocolate. The both have the same characteristics, but the Golden Extra has a much better overall taste and is a bit higher quality.

Jul 15, 2011
Eh, I think you might have that backwards. I'm reading the back of the tin of Golden Extra as I type this and it states that it contains a "touch of Virginia."
Strange. I don't have the tin handy. I was quoting the tobaccoreviews website. Maybe theyre the ones that have it backwards. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=G&TID=3446

soylentgreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2011
I think the confusion about VA in Golden Extra might be that Golden Extra is actually Golden Blend renamed. Not sure about that. Maybe someone can confirm it.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Strange. I don't have the tin handy. I was quoting the tobaccoreviews website. Maybe theyre the ones that have it backwards.
Or perhaps Mac Baren has it wrong. It wouldnt be the first time a tobacco company messed up the tin description. Orlik Golden Sliced for example, states that its a straight Virginia with a touch of burley on the back of its tin. Yet, it was later confirmed by Orlik that it was mistake. Its Virginia and Perique.
Ultimately though it matters little. Golden Extra is a wonderful blend and Im looking forward to trying London blend as well. :D
I think the confusion about VA in Golden Extra might be that Golden Extra is actually Golden Blend renamed. Not sure about that. Maybe someone can confirm it.
I've heard that as well. In Europe it was called Golden Blend and in the states it is called Golden Extra. Though I have no idea why they would change the name. But as far as I know, its the exact same blend.

Jul 15, 2011
Ultimately though it matters little. Golden Extra is a wonderful blend and Im looking forward to trying London blend as well
I just wondered if there was some sort of Illuminati inspired tobacco swapping conspiracy going on. Perhaps I should just pop both tins, smoke them, and quit yacking. :mrgreen: :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Burley London is to Prince Al like a fine steak is to cheap hamburger. (And I like Prince Al.)
Tin description of Golden Extra, from TobaccoReviews.com:

A Ready-Rubbed tobacco made from carefully blended, cask mellowed Burley tobaccos.
Tin description of Burley London,from the same source:

Introduced in 1965 and consists mainly of carefully selected Burley tobaccos. Just a little Virginia has been added to give the blend a natural sweetness. You will notice the slight natural chocolate note, which is found in all good Burley tobacco. The very special top flavor in combination with the tobaccos gives you a very distinct smoking pleasure.
I haven't smoked Golden Extra, but am fond of Burley London.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've smoked most of one tin of Golden Extra and really like it. Haven't tried any other Mac B. burleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.