PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Recently I've started to get pretty into Mac Baren tobaccos. I got a tin of Black Ambrosia about a year ago, and after getting into Peterson blends it kind of got lost in storage. Within the last few weeks though I've picked up and rather enjoyed Vanilla Cream and 7 Seas Royal Blend. The Vanilla Cream is my favourite vanilla blend yet. Not too overpowering for me. I want to try it in the flake form though. Tonight I had my first bowl of 7 Seas Royal Blend. It was really good. It lit and burned very well and the casing was noticed pretty well also. I mostly tasted vanilla with some maple syrup or caramel. A very good blend. I still have to have a bowl of Cherry Ambrosia which I got today as well. I love these Mac Baren blends because they're good aromatics and most of them are only $15 for a 100 gram tin at the B&M I frequent. You can't beat that much tobacco for that price as far as tins go. What Mac blends have you smoked and what are your thoughts?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I like Mac Baren also I have smoked:
7 Seas Royal

7 Seas Gold

Vanilla Cream Loose

HH Highland Blend
I like the Royal more that the Gold...... All in all I have had good luck with them and I agree they are a good value!! My tins are bout the same as yours...

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i smoke and enjoy the Navy Flake, Mixture Flake, Vanilla and Cream (loose cut), Burley London Blend, and the Virginia No.1.

lately it has been mostly the mixture flake out of the above.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Club Blend and Burley London Blend are current favorites. I've also smoked and enjoyed Symphony. I just ordered Roll Cake, Dark Twist, and Norwood.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
They are a bit bitey and burney. I usually have to use a P-lip pipe with them.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Mac Baren tobacco blends are what I normally smoke more than any other, although some other blenders are making their way into the cellar.
7 Seas Royal is super tasty. Gold, is good, but I agree, Royal is better. I also have a tin of 7 Seas Regular to try yet. I have the Navy Flake and while I enjoy it, it is a bit pungent in the room note. I tend to smoke this outdoors when I can.
HH Acadian is great, along with HH Highland Mixture. I've only had a couple of bowls of each of these, so I'm not up to review worthy yet. However, I could almost do a commercial for their HH Vintage Syrian and HH Matured Virginia. That's some good stuff! I just bought the collector jars (16oz each) of these last two and I had some Syrian aged about 2 years. Very smooth smoker.

weevil

Lurker
Aug 4, 2011
Hi folks! Newbie here - only 'piping' for a few months but enjoying the new hobby!
I'm loving MacB's Vanilla Creme - well worth a puff and no problem with bite for me, and not too sweet either. When I've finished the bag of ready-rubbed I'd like to get a tin of flake. I've tried their Cherry Ambrosia but haven't made up my mind on that so 'no comment' but it didn't make me smile like the Vanilla Creme did when I lit-up! I've also tried the 7 Seas Gold Blend and was distinctly unimpressed; it just didn't have any 'body' for me and no real taste - maybe aimed at ex-cigarette smokers? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'm also a big fan of the Vanilla Cream Flake and the Navy Flake. I have a tin of the Scottish Mixture and Honey & Chocolate waiting to be opened.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
What Mac blends have you smoked and what are your thoughts?
This will be brief and of course subjective. :D
I received samples of the three main 7 Seas blends and tried them all but none sailed for me.

HH Vintage Syrian: I’ve had better and worse Latakia blends. Glad I tried it but don’t plan to purchase again.

Navy Flake: Excellent and can’t wait to smoke more.

Norwood: A good Burley/Virginia blend that I wouldn’t mind smoking again, someday.

Plumcake: Excellent. This may be my holiday blend this year.

The Solent Mixture: Another Latakia blend (nothing like HH Vintage Syrian) that was nothing special for me.

Vanilla Flake: Everyone else around me enjoyed it more than I did.

Virginia No. 1: Excellent. This is one that I want to have plenty of stock for aging.
I have some unopened Mac Baren blends I’ve yet to try:
Burley London

Golden Extra

HH Mature Virginia (This one screams above the others to be tried next but I'm eyeing the Burley London).

Roll Cake

Scottish Mixture

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
From McBaren - I like Plumbcake, 7 Seas Reg., Black

Ambrosia,and Vanilla Cream - I like perique in some blends, so I was anticipating the release of HH Acadian Perique and purchased a tin - I did not like this offering! Most of Mc's blends are very good! (haven't tried all) Gonna put aside the Acadian tin and try again later.

rafterman

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2011
I really enjoy MacBaren's Golden Extra and HH Highland Blend. MacBaren's must be smoked with care. If you do, you will be rewarded, imho.
-Rafterman

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Both Vanilla Flake and Vanilla Cream are really good blends.

HH Vintage Syrian is a very tasty blend also.

Status
Not open for further replies.