PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I ran across this news. Does anyone know if this is true?
Mac Baren Tobacco Company acquires Pipe Tobacco Division of Altadis USA

The 125 year old Mac Baren Tobacco Company of Denmark has announced the conclusion of its agreement to acquire the Pipe Tobacco Division of Altadis USA located in Richmond Virginia. The completion of the purchase will be finalized within the next several months. The “new” entity being acquired will operate under its original corporate name of Sutliff Tobacco Company, which prior to being owned by Altadis USA, has had a long history in the U.S. Pipe Tobacco Industry since its founding in 1849.

This acquisition continues to build on the considerable reputation of Mac Baren Tobacco Company being a world leader in the Pipe Tobacco Industry. In addition to being a perfect strategic fit for the two companies, Sutliff Tobacco Company will act as the importer and distributor of Mac Baren products in the Western Hemisphere. This acquisition will not only strengthen the Pipe Tobacco Portfolio of Sutliff Tobacco Company but will also bring the significant knowledge, strength and commitment of Mac Baren Tobacco Company’s expertise and leadership in the Tobacco Business into the US market.

Sutliff Tobacco Company will continue to manufacture Pipe Tobacco in its Richmond Virginia Factory, and Paul Creasy has been named as President of the new corporation. Further information about Mac Baren Tobacco Company can be found at www.Mac-Baren.com and about Sutliff Tobacco Company at www.Sutliff-Tobacco.Com.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
hmm ... interesting. I don't know if it will change anything much but I like a couple of the Mac Baren offerings I have tried. Haven't really tried the Sutliff stuff besides Molto Dulce and that was way to sweet and wet for me at the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, a lot of big chess moves happening in the pipe and pipe tobacco industry. I think the players

sense pipes are in resurgence. I hope these moves bode well for pipe smokers themselves. It could

go either way. Certainly, pipe prices have notched up in the last three or four months. Is there a

an investment move for us here?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It's odd that you are just finding out now.
I published this 7 days ago:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/mac-baren-purchases-altadis-pipe-tobacco-division-returning-co-to-sutliff-roots/
I also sent email about it to the entire membership base at the same time.
I guess the email didn't come through, which is really a bummer.
I put it on Facebook and made a post in the forums as well.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Anyway, you might want to read the piece that is published here - link above - as it is a custom piece, exclusive interview with Paul Creasy - not a copy / paste of the press release.

Status
Not open for further replies.