PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
I was surprised to see that my neighborhood Kroger grocery store had Amphora Original Blend( along with a couple of Super Value blends)in their secured tobacco bunker. The price was right so I picked up a pouch. The reviews on Tobaccoreviews.com seemed quite favorable for an OTC pouch Blend, so I'm looking forward to it. Anyone here have any experience with this blend?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never tried it but some have mentioned it as better than most. A grocery that sells pipe tobacco is pretty nice. Drugstores and groceries have pulled out of tobacco products in many areas.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like the Amphora Original enough to cellar a bunch of pouches. For several years, it was my go-to OTC, and then it disappeared from the US market. Here's my review of it:
The rich chocolate topping is obvious without overwhelming the tobaccos. The burleys have a toasted nuttiness along with earth and a little molasses, and takes a little more of the lead than the grass, earth, and citrus from the Virginia. In a support role, the Kentucky has a little smoky woodiness with a bare hint of spice. The Oriental is lightly floral with a little smoke and wood, plus a very minor sour note as it playfully lingers in the background. The strength and taste is mild to medium. Won’t bite even when puffed fast. The nic-hit ranges between mild and moderate. The tobaccos are ribbon cut with a little broken flake. The blend is subtly complex with a very cool, clean and smooth, fairly consistent flavor from start to finish. The only change in flavor I have ever noticed is that the burleys and Kentucky seem to stand out just a little more after the half way point. Has no dull or harsh spots. Requires few relights, and leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a nice after taste and pleasant room note. An all day smoke that is very easy on your senses.
If you give it any dry time, you will find the tobacco flavor more noticeable without totally losing the chocolate topping. I dry it, and my review reflects that experience. Fresh and moist, you will find the tobaccos are mildly sublimated by the topping as I previously noted.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
The current Mac Baren version of Amphora is quite different in taste presentation than the original Douwe Egbert's (Netherlands) version that the old timers (and yes, I am one), raved about back in the 1960's and 1970's when it was readily available at the local supermarket. They came in pop top tins and twist canisters as well as pouches. Again, very different in presentation than the current' Mac Baren's pouched offering, which is a lot more aromatic and does not have as much strength. Not better or worse, IMO, just different tobacco.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with you, Steve. I still like it, and find if you dry out the new stuff a bit, it's better and a little closer to what I smoked in the 1970s though the mid-80s. I was able to get it from Synjeco from 2001 to 2005 (and then they dropped it) and it was very close to what I used to smoke. I still recommend the new stuff, but I dry it out first.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I like this stuff a lot and have recently purchased a dozen pouches for the cellar. Full Aroma ain't bad either!

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
Thanks for all the input guys. I read all the reviews on tobacco reviews and that made me feel better about taking the chance on this blend.

I had my first bowl this afternoon in a Cob while doing some yard work. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. Not an in your face flavor bomb but just a really nice smoke. The aroma was really nice. Probably one of the most mild mannered blends I have tried so far. Not a benign "nothing but hot air" smoke. No tongue bit at all. No discernible moisture in the bowl(I was smoking it in a Cob though, will try it in a briar next) and very little dottle left in the bowl. There was some flavor albeit very subtle but I really liked it. I'll probably pick up a few more pouches next time I'm at the Kroger and jar it up. How well does it cellar?

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
MSO, yes you can still get some pipe tobacco from the local

stores here but it's all kept under lock and key and you have to ask for it like a shamed puppy. The blends mostly available are the usual Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half, Captain Black etc. Sometimes Carter Hall. But the Amphora label caught my eye as something out of the ordinary when I was at the check out so I decided to get a pouch. I'm glad I did.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I have.Three pouches of it.Nice,real tobacco taste.My battered pallet will not allow me to pick up the chocolate note that smokers write about.(my bad).were I to marooned on an island somewhere with nothing but this,There would be no disappointment.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I never smoked the original - not sure why I never tried it, I smoked Sail and Troost - but I enjoy it now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have to ask for it like a shamed puppy? Pipe tobacco? Well, you could go in an ask to buy some extra large condoms, and then say, oh, I mean some Amphora pipe tobacco, please.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
MSO, I kid you not, but one of the grocery stores in my neighborhood actually keeps the condoms and associated merchandise locked up with the tobacco products.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
^^^ Sounds like the beginnings of a good weekend.
“Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.” Major Kong

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Here in France the Amphora Full Aroma works very hard, in red joke, it is the most acclaimed by almost everyone.

P

pipebuddy

Mac Baren has been doing a much much better job than Imperial tobacco, I find. The Black Cavendish is almost, if not identical to the DE version; and the Original, despite being less deep in tasteand dark in color, is till very decent. At least the cut is much closer to DE's...But, yes, as mentioned, DE's leaf was top notch and all Amphora tobaccos available back then were among, if not, my top favorites.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
It was JimInks who got me appreciate this very Amphora Brown, and today It is my everyday number one along with St Brunos, and Yes,The Red one ain't bad either,though I may need some additional time to get accustomed to it,Give them some time to breathe prior to smoke.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
PipeBuddy, I agree,Mc Barens does a way better job compared to Imperial,on any given brand,

Armonts,Am I right with my assumption,The Red One is amongst the most popular Otc Blends in France? Yet do they(Civettes)keep Mc Barens Golden Blend or this very Amphora Brown in their assortment?

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I do not know about the other Amphora, I have not really explored, but the Full Aroma in red plastic joke

(not very aromatic actually) is available everywhere even in small coffee / tobacco because it is

a classic enough asked, all the guys on the forums smoke at least from time to time !

Status
Not open for further replies.