Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Mac Baren makes some pretty good blends and a lot of people really like their tobacco.
I like the taste of quite a few of their blends. But I am one of the people that get bit by all of their blends, so I don't smoke them that often.

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
Hello Paulo. The only Mac Baren tobacco i've tried is Virginia Flake. Not wildly impressed. I will try a few others before I pass judgement! Many people seem to think that Mac Baren tobaccos tend to bite. In fairness, I can't offer an opinion based on just one of thier products except to say that VF will probably bite unless you smoke slow and easy!!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
If you like a Navy flake style, try:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/mac-baren-navy-flake-pipe-tobacco-review/
If you like Latakia, try:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/mac-baren-hh-vintage-syrian-pipe-tobacco-review/
Also, the HH Acadian Perique is excellent.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
I really dig the Navy Flake. I'm working my way through Kevin's reviews of their products actually, smoking a tin and comparing my own results. So far, he's been pretty spot-on. ;) Done the navy, mixture, HH syrian, and have a new tin of the Club waiting for me.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
The Mac Baren tobaccos I have tried are Va#1 : good smooth va tast, very mild. Didn't notice any bite, I didn't rub the flakes out that may have helped.

Mixture : I really enjoyed this one, several layers of flavor. I did notice that in the beginning the Va's would jump up and threaten to bite. You had to really watch your puffing. About a third of the way into it, the cavendish would kick in and really mellow it out. It was a really good smoke
Wes, smoking Frog Morton in a Carey st. pot / sandblast finish

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I have tried their navy flake and dark twist. I don't get any bite from them, I really like the navy flake.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
When I first started smoking a pipe, I tried a few Mac Barens. Of course, I got tongue bite, from some of them. Now, I sip my pipe, instead of chugging, and I've learned to appreciate Mac Baren blends. They are rather pricey, here.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
The flavor always reminds me of grapefruit for some reason. Not sure why. It smells like honey and plums in the tin. Room note is sweetish, probably more fruity than nutty. There's a good bit of Virginia in there. I think that either Kevin or Bob did a review of this a while back. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/mac-baren-navy-flake-pipe-tobacco-review/#more-2118
Scottish Mixture is much more subdued in flavor, in that you get more tobacco taste, I think.
The Club is somewhere in between the two of them, flavor-wise, I think.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for posting that link Peter.
I have not tried very many Mac Baren blends. Here are the blends that I have tried:
Vanilla Cream Loose Cut – Decent, but lacking in flavor

Plumcake - Quick Review

HH Vintage Syrian - Full Review

HH Mature Virginia – Good blend

Golden Dice – Good blend

Bulk Vanilla Chocolate – Did not like it, no flavor at all

All of the blends that I listed were, IMO, good or decent blends except for the Bulk Vanilla Chocolate. That one had no flavor at all to me. All but the Golden Dice bit me to some extent. The Golden Dice was pretty good and I guess that it didn’t bite me because; in my notes I wrote that I would buy it again.
Kevin really likes Mac Baren blends and he doesn’t get bit by any of them. Here are the ones that I know he has tried:
Club Blend - Full Review

HH Vintage Syrian - Full Review

Navy Flake - Full Review

Mixture Scottish Blend - Full Review

Don’t be afraid to try Mac Baren tobacco just because it bites some people. Other people never get bit by them. It is all about the individual.
I will probably re-visit some of their blends in the future. They have quite a few blends that sound very good.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I have read that some tongue bite is cased by a persons PH response to certain blends. Go figure --(_|_)--

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Scroll down to the bottom of the page on the Plumcake. That is an old thread and there was a technical issue back then that put that error on the page. The page is still there, just down towards the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.