PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
This flake is rarely talked about, or spoken of, especially in relation to the other two Stokkebye flakes. To be honest, I never really considered it to be something I would like. The assumed inclusion of Burley, or Cavendish- I'm not sure which one (maybe both), my mind created, had me consistently overlooking it.
Come to find out, the other day, that this is a pure Virginia??? Am I still wrong? Someone give me a run down on LTF. Comparisons and general observations would be helpful. :puffy:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I love Lux. Twist Flake!

I don't think it's pure Va, I'm pretty sure it's got a little Burley in it too. The topping is nice, not too strong, and still let's the tobacco come through.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Try LTF with just a few strips of Acadian Perique. It brings out the Virginia. It's my favorite combo.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
You won't be disappointed! I like LBF and LNF but LTF is surely my favourite of the three. :puffy:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I found the topping on LTF to smell wonderful, but tasted horrible. I smoked an ounce of it thinking something might change but it never happened.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I'll throw a couple oz. on my next order, but all this talk about toppings has me somewhat trepidatious.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's pure Va, the topping makes it a crowdpleaser, it's sweet but the main thing you taste is tobacco, it would be similar to amphora red imo

Mar 1, 2014
I bought some Luxury Twist Flake and Luxury Bullseye Flake in one of my earlier orders last year. Bullseye Flake didn't really taste like anything, so I bought some more Twist Flake after that. I didn't know the power of aging at the time though, so I had to pick up some more Bullseye flake later. This leaves me wondering how much the Cavendish process affects the aging process.

I'm confident the Bullseye Flake will be good in a few years, but I have no idea what to expect from Luxury Flake.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The twist is my favourite PS flake. I'll sometimes add half a flake of St.James to give it a little Perique pop.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I picked up 4 ounces because of the sale at P&C a while back. I'm just about done with two ounces - I'm going to cellar the other two. It's one of those tobaccos that only taste special, for me, in one of my regular flake pipes,and not special enough crack the regular flake rotation. I'd encourage folks to try it - it's definitely a pleasant smoke. :puffy:

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I'm going to cellar the other two. It's one of those tobaccos that only taste special, for me, in one of my regular flake pipes,and not special enough crack the regular flake rotation. I'd encourage folks to try it - it's definitely a pleasant smoke
It certainly benefits from aging. It tasted a bit flat and harsh to me fresh, but It's really opened up after spending a year sealed in a mason jar. The casing is nice too - its one of the few VA flakes that gets kind remarks from the wife.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This is about the last of available 'bulk' flakes I need to try. I didn't realize it had a 'topping'? I really enjoy Newminster's Superior Navy Flake's 'pouch note'. I've got lots of PS LNF, improperly aging in their original mylar bag, and I've had LBE, which, while acceptable, wasn't a big hit for me in my piping infancy. I started with a nicotine habit and thus found stouter blends more to my liking back then.

In fact, it's probably the strength ratings for Twist that put me off of trying it so far. Now I hear about this topping and I think about how I really enjoy the smell of the Newmie...and I'm sorely tempted.

As a nicotine hound I enjoy burley, but I still like flavors, including Latakia, Virginia, Perique, "Orientals", and some of the more organic flavor additives.

I have smoked a lot of different VA flakes, and they're all in their niche as uniquely enjoyable albeit similar, as are Latakia blends similar in their way, and I think that one must always remember about how the palate responds to changes and also how you yourself evolve as a piper.

I've got some tobacco that is considered to be aromatic, but they're really burley (or in the case of Autumn Evening, VA) blends with a flavor addition, but not the more foodlike comodities rich with propylene glycol and chemical smells masqurading as what have you.

I guess I should try some of Russ Oulette's monthly blends to see if HE can provide me with another genre to keep on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.