PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
Do I treat LBF like regular flake? Rub it out, cube cut, or can it also be folded and stuffed? Does it fold OK once it's been drying for a while?
Thanks,

Matt

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I usually half rub it out and half stuff it. Sometimes I'll pop the cav center out and sprinkle it on top! It does need some dry time though.
I think any method will work.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my not so humble opinion, if you do not cube cut it, you are doing the tobacco a disservice. I have tried all the methods and the cube rules. I would take the black center and cube that into 1 mm squares and then sprinkle them every so often as you gravity feed the pipe, this has to be done in such a way as to make sure you have the proper amount of black stuff at every level. If you have read this far you have probably figured out I am full of shit, so just do what ever floats your boat.
Seriously though, I would try cubing and folding and stuffing to see which one you prefer, not a fan of rubbing out unless you mean breaking it apart into big chunks with your fingers. Rubbing it out into a ribbon cut in my opinion defeats the purpose of smoking a flake.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
You can do all of the above.
As Harris points out, though, you do not necessarily want to rub it out completely into a fine loose cut. If you just fluff up the tobacco in your hand a bit for broken flakes then you will still have greater concentration of flavour and slower burning speed than if it were completely loosened/ribboned...
If you do choose to rub it out all the way, watch your smoking speed - things could get hot, fast. Whatever sweet casing they use for LBF really revs up the bowl temperature IMO.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
In reading the last two posts, it's occurred to me that there are varying definitions of "rub it out". I'm a fan of the rub out for most, though not all, flakes. But I suppose what I do is more of a light rub out, maybe a "crinkle-apart and stuff". In other words, I don't rub the shit out of it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
"Light rub out" is all that is needed, sothron, but there are times when more drastic action is in order.
A particularly hard to burn flake probably needs to be rubbed out finer than usual - or on occasions where you just want a quick and hassle free smoke, even if the flavour suffers a little. (Sacrilege, I know)
LBF falls apart of its own accord so one only needs to apply a bit of pressure to break it up nicely.
I have to say that I'm not fully converted to the cube cut for coins - I still rub them out to some degree on most occasions.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
One of the things I love doing with LBF is keeping the cav center more or less intact and packing it somewhere around mid-bowl (folding and stuffing accomplishes this almost automatically, but various degrees of rubbing out will also do the trick). With the center in the middle you end up with a really nice burst of fruity sweetness midway through the bowl.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Oh yeah, what roth said about aging is spot on. Even 6 months in a jar will make a real difference.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
I bought four ounces and immediately stuffed a little 4oz. jar full and tucked it away. If I like it, I'll buy some more right away and put it away, too.

I'm going to try the lightly broken up method, first. I've had some drying out for about an hour, so it should be ready.

Is this tobacco considered an aromatic?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
It's a VaPerCav.
Kidding. But I don't think of it as a true VaPer anymore.
Hope you enjoy it. I prefer mine a closer to moist then dry. I think it adds a fullness to the sweet hay flavor. I get almost a "buttery grass" taste the drier it is.
I fold and stuff most days, it almost rubs itself out into strips.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I always fold and stuff this tobacco, paying special attention to the dryness and care with the black center to keep it together during the folding process. I keep just enough moisture in the flake so it can be folded without falling apart, but dry enough to keep it from smoking wet. I love that VaPerCav catagory! That's what I'm calling it from now on lol!

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'm glad to see this question. I just purchased 8 ounces of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye flake. Mine was somewhat too moist as well so I let it sit out about an hour to dry. I've seen video after video on how to properly prepare a bullseye flake. After the hour drying time I looked at these two small disc shaped objects and wondered how I would prepare them. I used cigrmasters suggestion and cut them into little small cubes placing the Cavendish at various locations within the bowl. Everything worked out perfect and I didn't even have to do a relight. Loving this stuff. Peter Stokkebye makes some great products! I'm also a cigarette smoker and have been using their Amsterdam and Danish pipe tobacco for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.