Luxury Bullseye Flake, a Muted Disappointment

(32 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dhizzy
  • Latest reply from smokeybear
  1. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got my hands on a sample of this from a kind lady at the NASPC Show in Columbus. I am a big fan of VA's/ VaPer flakes and thought that this smoke was going to blow me away after all of the fanfare that it gets here. It has the flavor I enjoy but it is just too weak for my taste. I have really begun to be able to discern those sweet VA flavors but this one is falling short. I have tried it in several different pipes as well. I'm just glad that I was given a sample and didn't buy it blindly.

The same thing happened with a couple Two Friends blends I thought that I would love. Two Friends English Chocolate is one of my go to blends. I tried Redwood and Bed and Breakfast but was unimpressed with both.

Just the world according to Hoyle, YMMV.

Edit: I should have added that a VaPer that I really enjoy is Rattray's Marlin Flake. This blend has the much bolder flavor that I am looking for in this type of flake.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Both LBF and Marlin Flake are regulars in my Virginia rotation. I agree that LBF is more mild than Marlin Flake, but I also must say that I think it's subtle flavors are exquisite.

It seems like you're well aware of what you do and don't like, and just as was quoted in another thread recently "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke." Sorry LBF wasn't for you. Luckily, there are thousands of other blends to try! Happy smoking

-Home At Sea
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yessir, I am definitely honing down to specific blends within certain categories. I wanted to like it and the flavor is great but it just doesn't "pop" in the mouth like others I have had. I wish it did because it sure is affordable!

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like that chocolate stuff then maybe something like Middleton Cherry might be more up your alley, lol.

Seriously though, LBF does taste much better after it has aged 2 or 3 years, but maybe it will never work for you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think LBF needs some age on it to really begin to shine. Try St. James Flake, its pretty full bodied but is a pain to get a hold of. One thing I tried and had success with was adding a bit of McClelland blending Perique to LBF. It kicks up a notch or two.

Another couple good ones are Escudo and Solani 633.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently had the same sort of let down with University Flake. I seem to be finding that flakes aren't my thing. I've had several, and used every method in the book for smoking them, and haven't found one I enjoy yet. Same with Virginias, I just don't care for them. I have had a few Va/Pers that were OK. I think I'll stick with my 1Q, C. C. Cavendish, and McClelland Englishes! I currently have about 30 open blends, out of which, there are about 12 I really like. I have 3 or 4 that are OK, and the rest will probably sit there for years!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

LBF vs other VaPers may not be a fair comparison if you were expecting them to be similar. LBF contains a center of fermented black Cavendish (with "who knows what" kind of flavoring). LBF is very dependent on how it's prepared for smoking. I get the most enjoyment by scuffing the coin, careful to avoid crumbling the center. Keep that intact for a flavor blast(s).

I like everything you mentioned except Two Friends' English Chocolate, which I haven't had, and Bed & Breakfast, which didn't do anything for me. Their Redwood has a darker, softer sweetness that, while not as fruity as some Vapers, is more fruit-like than Bull's Eye's brighter, grassier sweetness. A second point of departure is that Redwood's Perique is more peppery. While its musty, stewed fruit plumminess integrates well with the Red Va.'s, it is less subtle than that found in Bull's Eye. Finally, Redwood's unsweetened black Cavendish produces a chocolate, or perhaps carob flavor that defines this blend's individuality; in Bull's Eye the black Cav is a mere tint.

Perhaps 4noggins' Weybridge would be more to your liking. The next time you place an order, use the message box to ask Rich for a sample.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm of the same mind as the OP. LBF just doesn't cut it for me.

I've smoked it in the past, but I actually enjoyed it most when it was fresh. While I agree that the VAs sweeten and mellow after a year or so, the best thing about LBF for me is the fruity Cavendish center, especially when you pack somewhere about mid-bowl. I thought the Cavendish came through more when it was fresh than when it had been aged. To each his own, YMMV, etc. Still, I'm glad so many here enjoy it, because you can't beat the price.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dhizzy, if you have not tried Escudo, you might want to. It is one of my favorite vapers. I also second SG St James and Solani 633, both regulars in my rotation. I am also not a fan of LBF.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice rib their peck but Ill pass on the cherry blends. It is kind of funny that one of my main go-to's is I guess, technically an aromatic ( because i dont care much for most of them ) but man the VA's are splendid in that blend and the Latakia is used how I prefer it, as a condiment. I have a spare jar, I am going to put what LBF I have remaining in there and try to let it age.

Cortez, I will definitely check into Weybridge, thanks.

Mr. English, I have so far not enjoyed any of the McClellands that I've tried. But I will possibly give that one a try. I have considered it in the past.

Pete, Don't say that! I have a tin of UF that I'm waiting to crack!

Harris, I have a tin with about 4 months age on it that I'm waiting a bit to open, thanks. Does anyone know how to decode that date code on Escudo tins?

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

LBF does taste much better after it has aged 2 or 3 years ...

I totally agree with Peck and other posters here who much prefer LBF with some age on it -- my take on LBF is the same and have said so many times.

I also agree that LBF is a mild, light blend whose nuances may be difficult to detect and as such, may well not be for everyone.

FWIW, I'm also a fan of many of the other blends mentioned in this thread, including the two that are terrific and, suprisingly, don't get much mention: Rattray's Marlin Flake and 4 Noggins Weybridge.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. pipebow88

pipebow88

Login to Send PM

I'm also not a fan of LBF, I do find the LNF quite nice however. For vapers my favorites are Escudo and Orlik Golden Sliced. I have a tin of St, James flake waiting to be opened however.
    B

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dhizzy, keep in mind that maybe its not time for you to really enjoy VAs and VAPERs. When I first experimented with them I unimpressed. Tried a bunch of different kinds and it was not for me. Went back to English blends and stayed with those for a few more years.

Then we could get our hands on Samuel Gawith and was hooked. Suddenly I found an appreciation of what a good VA or VAPER was like and smoked nothing but for a few years. That love affair ended and I went back to my English tobacco and pipes.

It wasn't until Peterson released their 3P's that I got that bug again and have been smoking nothing but VAPERs and VAs since.

I guess what I am trying to say is there is nothing wrong with not liking them, just maybe revisit them again down the road. You may end up being surprised.

Oh, I was referring to St. James Flake made by Samuel Gawith. I am with you on the McClelland, for some reason they bite so I stay away from them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're a fan of Va/Vapers then the SG trio of BBF/FVF/SJF should already be in your rotation. MC 2015 is also a hardy Vaper if the brands "tomato" tin note doesn't bother you. When you compare Vaper coins all will benefit from ageing, LNF has a Cavendish center that brings a sweetness which is probably turning you off.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

chervokas

Login to Send PM

I will say, I bought some LBF and the first time I smoked it -- in a narrow tall cob which tends to impart a little sweetness to everything smoked in it, and I was somewhat disappointed -- I found it too sweet and I though the perique to be MIA, but I've been puffing it lately in a Peterson's churchwarden and getting a lot more spice and balance out of it and enjoying it every much. It won't replace Escudo as my go-to VaPer flake, but I've come around on LBF, in the right pipe I've found it to be very nice and balanced but certainly more polite, I suppose thanks to the Cavendish, than some VaPers.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While everyone's tastes differ - and should - I just have to go on record as being a huge fan of LBF (and of LNF). LBF is clearly not what you reach for when desiring a Perique-forward blend. And it's not even a VaPer, really, but rather a VaPer hybrid.

It's made in the same factory, and probably with the same Virginias, as other more highly regarded flakes and coins. It could be that some just find the core distracting to the subtleties of the Virginias and antagonistic to the Perique.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel like shouting "off with his head!" LBF is truly amazing stuff, but only if you like the milder Virginia blends like I do and straight VA blends.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's just it Mr. English, I have been enjoying most all of the VA's and Vapers that I've tried. I love GLP Triple Play, MacBaren HH Acadian Perique, Marlin Flake, Lousiana Red and the list goes on. I've been at it for a couple of years now and my tastes have definitely changed. It just didn't deliver the flavor that the others I mentioned did. The type of flavor I desire was there it is just too weak. I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't know where to go from here. I don't enjoy aro's or Latakia forward blends either but I do enjoy burleys in addition to Va's and VaPers.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and feedback guys. You all are ok, I don't care what they say about you!

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't know where to go from here. I don't enjoy aro's or Latakia forward blends either but I do enjoy burleys in addition to Va's and VaPers.

Dhizzy, have you tried some Va/Bur blends?

A few of the greats IMO:

Solani Silver Flake 660 (R. Will's masterpiece Va/Bur), 4 Noggins Weybridge (a Va/Bur with a bit of plum from Perique), Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Flake U/S (Unscented).

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, I love VaBur blends as well but I haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned. I have definitely got to try Weybridge. I am also interested in Solani blends. I tried Aged Burkey Flake and it was good but too much like my beloved HH Old Dark Fired.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I must admit that I like LBF fresh. I think I will like it even more after a couple of years in the cellar. Another plus is the price of this tobacco. It is a great deal and it won't break the bank to cellar away a few pounds.
    +1 to Roth on Solani Silver Flake.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I've reviewed both the Solani Silver Flake and the G&H Brown Flake U/S here on PM Forums, if you care to check it out.

The Weybridge is good fresh, but I was amazed at how much it improved after only 6-7 months in the jar.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will do Roth.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am really loving the Mac Baren Roll Cake right now, but i bought this tinned already aged 3 1/2 years i just hope it tastes good fresh but i will be buying more to age for sure.

I believe its a Va/Bur blend and it is heavenly.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always fun to read such divergent opinions. For me, LBF was one of those "wow" smokes - but LNF was a "muted disappointment" the first time I tried it. Taking notes on other Va/Per blends to try next...

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Phred, don't give up on LNF. Let it age. Come back to it. My first bowl of LNF was just "ok". But over time it became one of my favorites.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smokeybear:

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I just smoked a single bowl of MacBaren Roll Cake and was really surprised. For me, it started out with a strong burley presence, then, halfway down the bowl, exploded into sweetness. I couldn't believe how sweet this got. (Due, I'm sure, to the sweetened cavendish.) I did rub out the coins, so that may account for why the "explosion" didn't happen until the midway point.

FWIW, though, I can tell you that while an older version of Roll Cake apparently contained perique (judging from older reviews I've read), if there's any perique at all in the current version -- and SmokingPipes doesn't list it in their tin description -- it is a tiny, tiny pinch. I don't believe it's there at all, and I'm extremely sensitive to perique.

Nonetheless, it's a very interesting and even delicious blend, and I'm glad I've found it.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bob its funny you mentioned it that way as that is the exact experience i have every time while smoking roll cake. its starts off a robust Burley and exactly half way down (every time) the aged Virginia and Cavendish Just EXPLODE!! I figured you would catch this.

However the experience isn't as crazy with a fresh tin, the sample i sent was aged 3-1/2 years so i suggest if you like it you need to get on aging this stuff.

Andrew

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I've come to the conclusion I am not a fan of cavendish, at least as so far. I was not a fan of LBF, and though I liked my first few tastes of Roll Cake, I ended up giving the rest of the tin away. I have two more tins of this type I am going to try, one is the ES 1931 flake, the other is Marlin Flake. We'll see if they change my mind.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Phred, don't give up on LNF. Let it age. Come back to it. My first bowl of LNF was just "ok". But over time it became one of my favorites.

Funny this thread should pop back up - I've smoked a couple more bowls of cube-cut LNF, and it's definitely an improvement over my first impression. I still prefer LBF, though.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to share an update. (That'll teach me to judge a blend from a single bowl...)

After two more bowls of Roll Cake, I'm now convinced that there is a dash of perique in this blend. But it's a tiny quantity, and one I can handle okay. Kinda the "training wheels" version of a blend with perique. But after several bowls, its presence does build up a bit.

That said, I'm still enjoying it. At first light: burley and perique. Then, as I've said, midway down the bowl, the sweet cavendish and -- to a much lesser extent for me -- the Virginias come through. I'm not sure I'd make this a regular smoke, but it is very much worth checking out.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ya it isnt a regular for me either i have to be in the mood for it, and in the mood to work through the perique in the beginning. thats when i find its prone to biting the most. the bottom half of the bowl i think it is a reward for a bowl well smoked.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pitchfork, ashdigger, spartan99, 3rdguy, cshubhra, marc75, smudgersmissingleg, rodo, yohanan, jguss, bullet08, frankrem, darthvader, jiminks