PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
One of my favorites so I decided to dedicate one of my old favorite pipes, a thick walled free hand and that got me thinking. Not too long ago I was surprised to find there's a light topping applied. So seeing if that's why I like it so much. I'm not really an aro smoker... anymore.. So.. does anyone know what this mystery topping is?

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Honey seems like a contender. I can't tell my taste buds have been to hell and back. Several times...

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Oh jeez, I never noticed that. I been avoiding that place as well so where I got it last said no specific thing. And inalways thought it was just Va. Anyway it tastes and smells nothing like rum to me. And I was a rum guy for many years. I wonder if anyone tastes the rum specifically... although I've found quite a few errors in their info, one of the reasons I went elsewhere..

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Luxury Twist Flake is similar to me. Topping is such a minute detail it was not an issue.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The topping is rather pronounced to me, but I like it. I have no idea what it is, and is most likely a combination of several commercial flavorings.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
One of the many mysteries of life I guess. Id like to hold onto some long enough to age it. Those flakes seem to disappear like potato chips...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most (all?) blends with Navy in the name have rum as flavoring. Rum was the default alcoholic beverage of choice for sailors of old, pirates and naval people and anyone else aboard. When you see an old square rigger plowing along through the seas, think rum. Bizarre as it may sound, aboard my U.S. Navy minesweeper, once after an underway replenishment with rows of guys (including me) lined up on the weather decks hauling in lines pulling goods across from a much larger supply ship, we all got soaked to the skin continually for about two hours in cold sea water. When we were working, this was okay -- young guys working hard. But afterwards, we were all pulling off our soaked dungarees and got pretty cold. Here comes the corpsman with a case of airline size bottles of rum! I don't think this was official, just a morale booster done sub rosa. I quietly approached several of my Mormon and other conservative religious shipmates and inquired about their rum, and soon had a handful of bottles, which I happily imbibed. Now I know that wasn't intended. But it warmed me right up, for sure. Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Yeah my father's beverage of choice as well, he worked on te flight deck of An aircraft carrier off the coast of Vietnam. My wife's father was in the navy and went to Korea (wife's ten years older than me). And my exes father was an engine mechanic on a destroyer, he still goes to his ships reunion every year. I can't seem to escape Navy ppl, haha.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Pretty sure Luxury Navy Flake is just your typical navy flake; a mixture of Virginia and Perique with a touch of rum added.
To me the rum isn't really heavy handed. It's noticeable, but not really a star flavor profile.
I've heard it does age really well. Recently Shane Ireland posted to his Instagram account that he had a bowl of some that was 22yrs old and in his opinion it was absolutely sublime.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"Navy" doesn't always equate rum.
Wikipedia
Eventually all twisted tobacco, and then pressed tobacco, became known as "Navy" "because of the convenience for sailors and outdoorsmen who favored its compact size "and long-lasting, slow-burning qualities." [1] Navy Flake tobacco is pressed into bricks and sliced into broad flakes.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
While navy flakes have typically had some rum topping, I've never tasted even a hint of topping with PS LNF. Certainly neither SP nor TR mention anything other than Virginia and perique.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So how often do you see people posting “I just smoked this exceedingly overpriced, vintage blend and it sucked!”
I could be wrong, but I think someone just shared a bowl or two worth of it from their personal cellar with him. That's what I love about the pipe shows, guys are always opening up vintage tins and sharing a bowl with anyone that wants a bowl. This past West Coast Pipe Show someone let me have a bowl of some old Bell's Three Nuns with Perique. Personally I don't think I'll ever buy vintage tins. I'd rather just cellar stuff myself. If I find a blend I like at a B&M I will check the production date though and pick the oldest tin(s).
I have heard a few people say they aged a blend for 10yrs or whatever and that was too long for them. When they finally cracked the tin it had mellowed out too much for them and they didn't like it nearly as much.
Just an observation, it seems to me that any kind of Va will improve in 5yrs, but from there it depends on the person as to how long keep aging. I think that's why some people say buy enough to try at each benchmark; two years, five years, eight years, ten years etc..

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So how often do you see people posting “I just smoked this exceedingly overpriced, vintage blend and it sucked!”.
I think there is some placebo affect taking place, certainly in some cases. I've smoked a lot more long aged cigars than I have pipe tobacco. In some cases, the cigars were really good. In some cases, it was like smoking air. Some tobaccos stand up or improve with aging better than others.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was (and still am) a fan of Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Twist Flake however I couldn't enjoy Luxury Navy Flake until I tried it in a pipe with a larger bowl and filter.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Lordofthepiperings: yes, luxury navy flake has perique, I'm a schmuck though because all this time I was talking about luxury twist flake. I'm not even much of a fan of p.s. luz. Navy Flake. Oy. Sorry everybody, I get them mixed up. Really a catastrophic error and I should be disciplined in true navy fashion. So will I be peeling potatoes or cleaning the oil tanks (from the inside)?

And chasing embers you are correct as usual, Navy really refers to the flake aspect more So than rum. Really Rum was more of a Royal Navy thing dating back to before our country even existed...

I am not that crazy about LNF by itself either, and LTF can be tilted a little on that coconut-y casing side. It is rather one dimensional, IMO. I like to take a flake of LNF and LTF and twist them together and stuff them. The casings on both really work well together, and it makes for a more balanced smoke IMO. It reminds me of the aromas of new cowboy boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.