PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
On the weekend I scored myself a 1935 Winchester Model 68, which is a sweet little single shot 22 rifle with some decent aperture sights. I spent most of Saturday cleaning it up as it obviously hadn't been shot in years, took me hours to get all the crap and gunk out of it. Sunday was an absolutely beautiful day at +13 and little wind so I loaded up the new shooter, a jar of tobacco and a pipe and headed for the woods. Spent a great day looking for squirrels and crows with the combination of a 81 year old rifle, a pocket full of shells, and a 100 year old CPF oompaul filled with Red Cake 5100. Great way to spend the day.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Love it! I didn't get the chance to hunt any this year, but we have land out in a small town in MS, Port Gibson, and last year I hunted with a cherry vanilla blend made by our B&M and a rossi I had bought. Wonderful time just enjoying nature while waiting on a big 'ole buck :)

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I enjoy smoking while I hunt upland birds. I've never done it while deer hunting as I'm not sure if the smell would scare them off or not. I only ever use cobs though because I've dropped a few as I pulled on a pheasant.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Have a picture of the CPF? HERE is one I acquired a short time ago...
Edit: Added link to another shot - HERE.

Sounds nice. I harvested my deer back around Christmas, but it is never anything to brag about. The new developments down the road push the deer up to my side of the river. It's more about just having my rifle handy. I really wish I had the time to take on dove and duck. But, as it is, I barely have time set aside to get my fishing in. Sounds like fun though. You should try hunting with some GLP Laurel Heights. It strikes a primal outdoorsy rustic nerve in me.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Armadillos are in season. SigSauer 22 with suppressor and laser sights. Always a cob. Never a Barling.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Love some wandering around the woods with a rifle myself. Although I'm looking for hipsters. I see a beard, I shoot. The .22 only wounds them, so I have to listen to their cries while I reload, and then go to finish the grim deed. But I always come home with a smile on my face.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Love some wandering around the woods with a rifle myself. Although I'm looking for hipsters. I see a beard, I shoot. The .22 only wounds them, so I have to listen to their cries while I reload, and then go to finish the grim deed. But I always come home with a smile on my face.

Be careful..... I'm bearded, wearing a wool jacket..... and I shoot back.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
that is very nice, lots of people don't experience those moments, but hunting with a tobacco pipe always sounds like fun.

Jun 4, 2014
Sounds like a nice way to spend a day. I have a little Stevens 22 single shot that I'm going to start my son shooting when he gets a little older.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Just beautiful, reminds me why I loved Hemingway's Nick Adam's stories, and inspires me to someday go fly fishing with a smoking billiard clenched, filled with--you guessed it--Red Cake. Thanks!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I had a big bowl of McClelland Navy Cavendish after I got this guy field dressed and hung up
image_zpsgw6sdb4r.jpeg

image_zps3ihduto5.jpeg

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
deathmetal:
No one would call me a hipster, but as you can see I do have a beard. Don't miss with your first shot; my .270 would retort with 150 grains going about 2900 fps :)

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I had a big bowl of McClelland Navy Cavendish after I got this guy field dressed and hung up

Good looking deer! I don't hunt deer anymore as the wife isn't a fan of venison but I'll be going after wild hog this summer and Elk and Moose in the fall.

my .270 would retort with 150 grains going about 2900 fps

I'll see you .270 and raise you with some 220grain 30-06 coreloks lol

butsushin

Lurker
Jul 16, 2015
Always wondered which is more likely: a hunter also to be a pipe smoker or a pipe smoker also to be a hunter?

I always hunt with a pipe in mouth - even learned to shoot my 12" Beretta with the pipe burning even during driven pheasant and rabbit hunts and shot deer with my .308 smoking :)
As for the smoke deterring or attracting deer... my 2 cents: if deer (or any other game for that matter) can smell your pipe than he can also smell you. Now which one is a more natural smell in the woods: the smell of some burning leaves or a sweaty, unshaven hunter? At least where I hunt, if the wind is with you you may stalk game up the distance of being able to hit it with the end of my rifle and if it is against you, all game will leave within a 10km radius the moment you get out of your 4x4 :)

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
"Lunting" is a horrible, horrible word. It should stay hidden in that ancient, backwards dictionary-from-hell from whence it came.

Status
Not open for further replies.