PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My FiL and I are going moose hunting this fall and he was asking if I will be smoking my pipe? I told him of course. "No, I mean while actually hunting" he said and it made me think. I have hunted gophers and crows often with a pipe in my mouth, I've even shot at the range with my pipe between my teeth. But I think hunting moose, who have a reputation for bad eye site and good sense of smell, might not be a great idea.

I have always imagined that if I hunted upland game I'd be doing it with a pipe...... Maybe filled with some Troutstream or some other "themed" tobacco?

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I don't see a problem with it as long as you are downwind and hunting into the wind.
I can't tell you how many Whitetails I've harvested with a bow while smoking cigarettes in my climber.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I wouldn't be smoking while hunting big game. They have noses. I'd save the smoke for the campfire.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...also, I like to have my mind on my pipe or my firearm, but never both at once. Maybe personal preference,

but all of the studies on "multi-tasking," like texting and driving, have shown that people don't do it well, even

when they think they are doing it brilliantly, and the students used as subjects are young and extra alert, and

they still don't multi-task worth a damn. Your hunting rifle knows whether you are giving it full attention, and

the game can smell you coming before you get up that morning (a joke, an image, there).

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It depends on the animals themselves. I've hunted populations of whitetails who couldn't care less if you are puffing, and I've hunted them who spook at the tiniest hint of some thing that might possibly maybe not be right.

I wouldn't chance it myself on a moose hunt.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
What if he doesn't care for your smoke, isn't fond of latakia, or the burley reminds him of the bullwinkle that ran off with his love interest and looks to settle the score?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shaintiques +1, bring the pipe and your favorite leaf for the photo and a rest before

you get into the really heavy work of butchering a moose.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Yeah.... gave it some more thought and puffing away while firing a .22 or a .17hmr is one thing but my H&R Handi rifle in 30-06 gives a pretty big boom. Chances are I'd bite through the stem from the recoil or worse get smoke in my eye as I line up for the big one. I think I'll wait and fire up a bowl of Three Blind Moose during the skinning. It just seems like the right tobacco for the job. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.