PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My friend Donnie Pitchford has released Year One of his Lum and Abner newspaper strip. The book retails for $9.95 plus three dollars postage, and you can order it here: http://www.lumandabnersociety.org/Comic-Strip-Home.html If you'd like your copy personalized, ask Donnie, and I'Grannies, he will be happy to oblige. For those of you who may not know who Lum and Abner are/were, the series lasted on radio from 1931-1954, and was very popular and spawned seven movies. The humor is good ol' down home country folks ala Andy Griffith, but they were not only first, but were a major source of inspiration to Andy for his TV show.
I'm an unbashed fan of the radio series. I've listened to the approximately 1,300 shows in circulation, and I think Donnie has really nailed down the characters.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Jim I got into those old tyme radio broadcasts when they came out on cassette in the early 80's, I especially like the tobacco commercials. "Winston Tastes Good Like A cigarette Should", Lucky Strikes Tobacco Auctioneer and who could forget Phillip Morris little Johnny Roventini who lived two houses down from a friend of mine who grew up in Brooklyn! Too bad I've never heard any for pipe tobacco. Great link thanks for sharing, I just might jump on that.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Lonesome Gal was sponsored for some time by Bond Street tobacco. The show is so bad that it's good in a Plan Nine From Outer Space way. Some of the commercials suggestive for the time and worth hearing. https://archive.org/details/LonesomeGal_431

May 31, 2012
Wow, that's good stuff. Nice art and they totally nail the dialect.

I love the old comics for all of the dialect talk.
Thanks for the link.
Page500_231_6.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
In the Early 70s I was a disc jockey at a local radio station. On Friday nights we used to re-play old broadcasts of "Fibber & McGee"...

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Thanks for that link on the commercials Jim, you're right about that show maybe that's why it was never put on cassette!

Status
Not open for further replies.