PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
A Facebook friend asked me if I could fix a hole in a Lucite stem. The pics didn't look bad, of course the hole was worse than the pics showed. But in the process I found an alternative to Stew-Mac's accelerator locally and it worked like a champ.
The whole article is here, with photos and all http://rebornpipes.com/2014/09/13/repairing-a-hole-in-an-acrylic-stem/ (I've not had the chance to upload them to the Bucket yet to post in this thread.)

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Here are the before and after photos of the stem:

And a picture of the bottle of accelerator:

EDIT: He didn't want all of the minute scratches polished out and I obliged (considering the small reparation I received!).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
From Greg's blog, I picked up a bottle of the accelerator at Hobby Lobby yesteday. I redid the stem on a GBD Originale that had a Black Superglue (Stew-Mac) repair on the button. The accelerator made the material work ready in an hour and it dried even harder than a day later without the accelerator. Previously, with out the accelerator, the black super glue would frequently gum up and ball off, which was frustrating.
The product from Stew-Mac was close to $20 shipped, so I never picked up a bottle $2.50 at Hobby Lobby using the 40% ever-present coupon. I did have some fun with the clerk and asked if it was true if a customer had a contraceptive receipt, they get an extra 20% off. She didn't laugh and my wife wasn't super happy....

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Greg, nice work as always.
What are you guys using as a block for the draught hole? I'm working on a really problematic stem and am thinking about using a thick gauge wire or solder to plug the draught hole prior to using Stew Mac to fill.
Thoughts?
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I grease up a fluffy fat end of a cleaner with some lithium grease (car stuff). And, that reminds me to run an alcohol cleaner thru that Originale! That would be a rude awakening in a few weeks....

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks, guys. It's always fun. for me, to find and share a new idea/product to work with.
@samcoffeeman

I'm practicing my super glue technique. I haven't had good luck with it. I bought a new glue to try. I had Starbond brand and I just bought a new kind that is "rubber toughened." If that works any better I just may make my first contribution to the blog.

I've had mixed success with different glues and "filling medium". I like Gorilla brand (original) super glue (its a rubber-added type of glue) mixed with powdered activated carbon. It sets fast and really hard, too, and that is without the accelerator. Hope to see your addition to the blog soon!
@pruss

What are you guys using as a block for the draught hole? I'm working on a really problematic stem and am thinking about using a thick gauge wire or solder to plug the draught hole prior to using Stew Mac to fill.

Like Al, I use a pipe cleaner. I bend it once, twice, however many times it takes to fit the hole well, and grease it up. I was using petroleum jelly and mad mixed results with that. Then I tried "Bag Balm" and it was slightly better. The last couple of projects I used vegetable shortening and had the best success thus far - and it was easier to clean up, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.