PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
When I drink coffee, it's with half-n-half and 4 packets of Splenda (I believe that's equivalent to 8 or 12 packets of regular sugar in sweetness). When it's not coffee, I usually drink those juice blends by Dole and Tropicana (chock full of sugars) and such.
So then when I light up my pipe with a blend that's supposed to be "sweet" or have certain flavors, I get annoyed and frustrated because I can't discern it. But when I think about it, how could I? My tastebuds are used to the "bright sunlight" of ultra sweetness of foods and drinks and I'm stepping into the "dark" with the very subtle flavors of tobacco! My eyes/tastebuds must adjust!
And so, beginning today I am going to start transitioning myself to using and intaking less sugars so that I might be more keen to it. I've begun by having a cup of Earl Grey tea just now, with only 3 packets of sugar...And by god it tastes like kitchen sink swill, but I WILL persevere!

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Good for you namuna! I have been trying to cut down on the sugar in my coffee. My philosophy was why drink something if it tastes like sh*t. I still drink my first cup of the morning with cream and sugar, but I fill my to go cup with only black. Still tastes like sh*t to me, but it sure goes nice with my morning bowl on the ride to work. You are on to something and I know you will see (taste) the difference. Hang in there.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Also, part of the problem you may be experiencing with blends not being sweet enough is your expectations. Maybe not you, but I know when I started, I'd read about how a blend was "sweet", so I'd smoke it expecting a sweet taste on my tongue and was severely disappointed when there was no sweet taste at all. I eventually came to realize that it isn't a sweet TASTE that others were talking about, it was a sweet SMELL which reminded their olfactory sense of something sweet tasting. After that, I started to "taste" the sweet in those blends labeled as such. One of my favorites, W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage is like this. It is a very heavy fruit smell from the tin, and smoke, which makes me think sweet when I smoke it. YMMV
-Jason

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
half-n-half and 4 packets of Splenda
WOW!
get yourself some good coffee (not expensive coffee) force yourself to drink it black for a week and you will never go back. or if you are only going for the caffeine kick consider Mountain Dew.
mountain-dew-kickstart-events-page-2.jpg

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Since I began pipe smoking almost a year ago I have tried to find the perfect beverage to go with my smoke and I have found (so far) that very lightly sweetened brewed iced tea. Gives me the caffeine I like and makes my baccy flavors come through. JMO

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have found that black coffee pairs better with Virginias and Virginia/Periques. Like 05venturer, I prefer sweetened teas with the pipe.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I'll second the iced tea. I brew a pitcher and add a table spoon of honey while it's steeping. Makes for a great smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
namuna, interesting idea, adjusting diet to improve pipe tobacco flavor. Keep us posted. One thing to note,

as you "mature," it's a good idea to keep a steady input of snacks, especially high protein like nuts and cheese,

etc. Why mention this? The epidemic of diabetes affects nearly all demographic groups. If you're like me, you

were brought up on three meals a day, at which you chowed down big time. Worst thing you can do, especially

as you age. Little incremental doses of nutrition, not big feasts, are the way to go. Just saying.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Okay, I couldn't start right off with straight, black coffee...So instead I decided to take it in steps, instead of a big leap.
First day was the coffee, no creamer and not as much sugar. Not bad, I can swing that.

Next day, no creamer, only a single spoon of sugar.

Finally, right now, I'm drinking the coffee au natural and what's usually the wincingly bitter taste I can't stand, I'm starting to comprehend is actually the character of the coffee and worth investigating further.
Reminds me of when I used to have my steak well done and with LOTS of A1 sauce on it. It was good, I liked it. But as I got older and had the opportunities to visit some fine steak houses (on expense account, man I miss those days!), to which having a steak that way in their establishment is tantamount to sacrilege, I tried the steak cooked to medium or medium-rare and no A1!...WOW!! It was like getting punched in the mouth with pure savory flavor!
Unfortunately I'm not working in a very scientific environment with this theory of lessening sugar intake for baccy flavor, as I continue to smoke the varying kinds of baccy I have in the varying types of pipes (to which they're all basically new and require break-in), and as my lighting skills get better and my tongue adjusting accordingly.
Still, the lesser intake of sugar has other good implications (obviously), so I think I'll still continue this trend of training my taste buds.

Aug 14, 2012
Might I dare to suggest no sweetener in your tea or coffee? After a while you might get to like the taste of those beverages without sugar. I started cooking without salt some years ago. At first everything tasted awful. After a while I began to actually taste the food, and it was an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.