Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Love/Hate Tobacco

(13 posts)
  1. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Angles's Dream is a nice tasting no frills easy smoking blend and I love it. Except for one tiny flaw. For the first time since I picked up the pipe in the early '90s, I've run into a blend that doesn't agree with my mouth PH. After a few days of puffing, it starts to bite. Nothing terrible just a minor bite. In fact a mosquito bite is more annoying. I guess its the cinnamon that's causing this.

Are there any blends you've run into that you love but for one reason or another such as cut, smokeability or whatever, you also hate?

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A lot of aros, especially OTC aros, are like that for me. Like the flavor of some of them, but they either bite, burn too wet (related problems), or make a gooey mess of my pipes, which bugs the hell out of me.

Being an outside smoker, I have some problems with flakes, as well. I hate to take nice flake tobacco and completely rub it out, but sometimes the wind gives me little option.

I guess with me, my love/hates come down to smokeability issues, not so much pH issues.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of blends that I enjoy only once in a while. If I try to smoke them on a continuous basis my taste buds rebel. The short list would include Butera's Royal Vintage Matured Ribbon, McClelland 5100 Red Cake, and H&H's Capitol Stairs (and other deertongue blends).

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. drennan

drennan

Login to Send PM

I find certain burley blends have an incredibly rough feeling on the back of my throat and it tastes like rough dry cheap tobacco and can leave my throat sore for a couple of days. McQuaid plug has a wondeful snork but after a minute or two it feels like I'm swallowing sandpaper. Such a shame as I'd cellar this tobacco.

My other complaint would be GH tobaccos. They have a generic background lakeland flavour that's present on unscented tobaccos and towards the bottom of the floral tobaccos, I really dislike that generic flavour but love the florals. I'm convinced that GH would sell tons more tobacco if they could stop the contamination.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nightcap.

I love the stuff. The past year, however, it has started setting the very tip of my tongue on hell's fire and, when smoking, there are only so many places one can put a tongue.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Three Nuns - By far the worst tobacco I've tried, and I've tried Dark Star, so that's saying something.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. robwoodall

robwoodall

Login to Send PM

Anything with perique in it. I love the taste. Nightcap, Escudo, Anniversary Kake. It all burns my tongue and the inside of my lips. Bummer, 'cause I really do like the taste.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have this problem with most aromatics. I can smoke some kick-ass full strength tobacco and feel little bite and not much nicotine, but when I enjoy a full bowl of aromatic low-nic blend, I can barely stand to brush my teeth, the peppermint in the toothpaste stings so badly. I do a little aro now and then, but just for a change, and in modest amounts.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. maxx

maxx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't run into any love/hate blends, only blends I love, those I like, those I dislike, and those I hate. The latter category includes Royal Yacht and many OTC blends. Prince Albert and Carter Hall go into the like (at the low end, in a pinch). In the dislike, I'd put Half and Half. Nothing, so far, would be in a like/dislike group; but low end likes could be viewed that way.

"Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect."
    ~ Samuel Johnson ~
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. smokinfireman

smokinfireman

Login to Send PM

I couldn't agree more with some smokes being a love hate relationship. There are days when Carter Hall can taste like a wonderful raisin-chocolate medley and then there are days that it tastes like a burn pile smells. I've found that if you smoke stronger tobaccos in between bowls of Carter hall, the ghost in your mouth can cause a foul reaction. For example, Prince Albert soft vanilla and Carter Hall go well together, but smoking it after a bowl of something stronger like Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic can make for an awful tongue bite and flavor ( I agree with Leacha about the Ph factor). Carter Hall is on the bottom of my rotation (less than two bowls a day). It's comparable to drinking lemonade while eating chocolate ice cream. Gotta remember, tobaccos are like relatives. When they're good you love them and when their bad you can't stand 'em.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are there any blends you've run into that you love but for one reason or another such as cut, smokeability or whatever, you also hate?

Some blends just bite no matter what you do. I'm that way with Middleton's Kentucky Club Mild and Middleton's Cherry Blend. I don't hate the blends, I just can't smoke them for the reason I stated.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My medical friends tell me the human body is basically a pump.
    That said there is a marvel of chemistry going on constantly in our systems. It seems natural that either over time or with continuous use our bodies are adapting and changing up to meet different demands placed on them. Throw your tongue as a sensitive muscle combined with all its nerves such as taste buds into the mix, and it would seem reasonable that tastes not only could but would change given the proper time and circumstances. Just saying.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

skulltula

Login to Send PM

That said there is a marvel of chemistry going on constantly in our systems.

I had just made a post the other day considering the pH differences between the tobacco smoke and our saliva, and how they would play a major role in the intensity of tongue bite; not only tongue bite, but how affected one is by a certain blend which receives praise from plenty of others would depend entirely on their reactivity to the particular blend. This quote boldly supports my thoughts, okiescout.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   charf, sparrowhawk, mityahicks