Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

Love/hate blends that you love or hate, and why?

(41 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by puffthemagicpiper
  • Latest reply from rmpeeps
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

I’ll start: Sutliff’s 523 Voodoo Queen. This seems to be a love it or hate it blend.

I love it! Delicious chocolaty burley, a touch of smoky Lat and cool sweet Va! 3 pounds in the cellar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

Hate: any Old Joe Krantz. Odd, b/c I’m a burley lover, but this blend in any three of its incarnations is just awful IMHO. I’d rather enjoy a good cigar! (I adore Runowski’s Morley’s Best & Haunted Bookshop however.)

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Royal Yacht! And 1792 Flake! I am not man enough to smoke them daily, so they are special treats to go with one of those beverages that man you up.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one I hate the most and always have since I first started smoking a pipe 50+ yrs ago is John Middleton's Cherry Blend. That blend bites me terribly. I've tried sipping it and smoking it in different pipes, but I get the same results. Must be a body chemistry thing.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No loves or hates so far, though Lane's BCA seems to want the Olkofri's First Hated Blend badge.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Germain's Balkan Sobranie - This isn't the old stuff, not by a long shot. I find it disgusting. I can't finish a bowl. The first puff just makes me want to hurl.

Penzance - I find this a very badly balanced blend. I thought I'd age it for a few years and give it another try. Hated it just as much, so I bring it to pipe club meetings to be enjoyed by those who like it.

Orlik Golden Slices - I simply hated the way it tasted. Period. It should be renamed Orlik Golden Showers. So, I sent the tin to someone who likes it.

I love Haddo's, Dunbar, RO Perique Series GP-11, Sixpence, Telegraph Hill, Dorchester, Tilbury, Union Square, GL Pease Renaissance, Bohemian Scandal, McClelland 40th Anniversary, Christmas Cheer, McCranie's Red Ribbon and Flake, PS-LBF, A&C Peterson Escudo, McClelland 2015 and 2010, and a whole lot of others.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

thefishguy

Login to Send PM

Virginia blends. Yuck, why in the world do you people like smoking dried up grass clippings? I’ve tried a bunch of them, McClelland’s, C&D’s, S. Gawith, and several others. Where are these sweet flavors I keep hearing about? I’m not giving up on them but they’ all ferreted away in mason jars in the hopes that my tastes will change eventually.
    I love Dark Birds eye.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Love: Chelsea Morning - IMO the perfect morning coffee blend. Not too strong, but very flavorful.

Hate: 95% of American Aromatic blends. Those wet goopy blends composed entirely of cavendish that taste like hot air.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a love/hate relationship with Motzek Strang. I love the way it tastes, but it destroys my throat.

I love/love Klondike Gold and JA Luxury Flake. Perfection in flake form.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

Oops - I probably should have put this in the tobacco discussion thread, not review.

My bad. New to forum, but that no excuse - I’ll be more careful in the future

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love John Cotton's Smyrna. I get a floral/incense type flavor that I find hard to describe. The room note reminds me of camping/campfire.

Hate Tinder Box Mango Tango. One of the first aromatics I ever purchased. I only bought an ounce and it's the only tobacco I actually tossed in the trash.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m taking this as a “what is a love/hate blend that you either love or hate”? Meaning blends that are in the love it/hate it category and nowhere in between. I usually end up loving the love it/hate it blends just because a lot of them tend to be odd and I’m a fan of odd flavors, I appreciate odd foods too.

Here is my list of polarizing blends:
    Dark Fake Scented - Love it! The scent adds the perfect nuances to this bold Smokey Olde Worlde Tobacco it’s like a strong black tea with a splash of rose water.
    Condor - Love it! A lot of Americans seem to hate this one but I think it’s exactly what pipe tobacco should be, the Plug cut is absolutely perfect in every way (my holy grail).
    1792 Flake - best breakfast blend ever made, pairs well with a cup of black joe.
    Ennerdale Flake - Just a beautiful medley of flavors, truly unique.
    Royal Yacht - honestly don’t know why this one is so polarizing but it is, I really like it but not any everyday blend for me.

Would also mention Daddy Gefftl & Sisinghurst by HU but I don’t think those two are popular enough to be in the love it/hate it category

Man, I could probably sit here for hours coming up with blends but I’ll just leave you with this for now.

Good subject by the way.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love: Many A few favorties, F&T CVP and Vintage; GLP Union Square, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, Maltese Falcon; SG FVF, BBF, SJF, Balkan Flake; Astley's Artisan Blend; numerous HU Blends.

Hate: Haddo's Delight, Royal Yacht, anything with the soapy Lakeland essence.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

hawkey454 - that’s what I was going for but I was kind of vague about it

ETA: it took me a bit, but I got to where I love Haddo’s. I’ve got 8oz that’s aged for close to six years. I’m curious to break into it but I’ve got a current stock of it which keeps me honest.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That aged Haddo’s gonna be mighty fine my friend. I love me some Haddo’s!

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I second absolutely hating Haddo's Delight. I purchased an aged tin (8-10 years), the tin was puffy so I was excited. Such a letdown!! It tasted and smelled like I was smoking someone dipped in Hawaiian Tropic (think Bay Watch Port-a-Potty)

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Haddo's Delight is a blend I picked up about a year ago. I remember trying it and thinking it had a strong booze topping and was too peppery for my liking, so I jarred it up and moved on. This thread got me thinking about it and I dug the jar out (dated 2/18). I'm smoking it right now and honestly, I like it a lot. Sweet and peppery but not overly so and I don't detect the over the top boozyness that I thought I remembered.

Tim
    Posted 4 months ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

Escudo is a blend that tastes toxic to my chemistry. It’s a well loved blend, but I just can’t get my taste buds to behave.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate soapy smelling aromatics, the reason being that I can't stand the artificial smell. They don't taste as anything also, in my opinion. Other than that I can't say I ran across many blends that I can say I can't stand. I found some that I am not particularly fond of, but can't say I hate them.

I simply love Royal Yacht, as some people may know. Not enjoying it as much nowadays, since cellar stocks are dwindling, and I can't easily resupply.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 4 months ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love: Tabac-Manil Semois thick cut (and medium cut). I don't hate it, but I can't taste anything with Sir Walter Raleigh, though I like SWR Aromatic very much, because they add Virginia as a condiment and it's flavored with three liqueurs. If I don't enjoy something, I either give it away or age it to see if I like it better later, and sometimes I do.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I second absolutely hating Haddo's Delight. I purchased an aged tin (8-10 years), the tin was puffy so I was excited. Such a letdown!! It tasted and smelled like I was smoking someone dipped in Hawaiian Tropic (think Bay Watch Port-a-Potty)

Love that description! Have you tried a fresh tin? Maybe it just didn't age well or wasn't stored properly. I didn't realize that Haddo's was such a polarizing blend, I'm seeing a lot of dislike for it lately. Interesting.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love Irish Condor Long Cut and Plug...unfortunately it is a thing of the past...the new iteration is an abomination so that Polish mess is something I hate.
    War Horse Bar and Plug (Green) is also on my love list, as is Royal Yacht and a host of others. Red Va's tear up my mouth unless they have 5 years age on them...fortunately, all My McClellands have 5 years in the can or more.
    Lakelands also are a love item...as is Butternut Burley which is at the top of my love list...can smoke it all day every day and not get tired of it.
    That would be most of my list.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate Granger and modern version of Half and Half. I have some 70's Half and Half, love it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Snag, aged Granger is fantastic as is aged Half and Half.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Samuel Gawith Grousemoor: Love it! Most among us probably hate it.

Dot
    Posted 4 months ago #
  26. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

Love anything that’s a Flake but they drive me crazy trying to smoke them. Rub this, fold that, twist this way, dry for this long...

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I loved the flavor of the discontinued Mcquaid plug but smoking it would tear up the back of my throat, must have been a chemistry thing

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, I never imagined someone not liking Haddos; however, if you hate Haddos, avoid his Virginia Cream, because it has that same bourbon topping.

But, all of my hate/love blends have been mentioned. I don't really hate any blends, except maybe a few that have that rose geranium topping. I can handle most of the other Lakeland essences, except that one, as they smell like grandma soaps to me.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't hate any blend, as if I don't like it I don't buy or smoke it. Most disappointing: Pembroke. (Don't like the topping)

I don't love any blend, but like most English and Balkan blends. With the probably exception of a few with more Red Virginia than I can tolerate. TBD.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I didn't hate Haddo's but I was still pretty new to perique. Plus the topping in a fresh tin is pretty bold imo. The bowl I had yesterday from a year old jar was excellent. That's probably because I've become a fan of perique in general as well as the liquor being more in the background.

As far as blends I hate, I don't know if I hate anything as far as ruling it out forever. But I do know that at this time, I don't enjoy in the least latakia forward blends. The only blend up to this point that has made me stop smoking a bowl and dump it is Plum Pudding Special Reserve. It's in a jar for later testing.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. orthodoxpiper

orthodoxpiper

Login to Send PM

Love: Royal Yacht. I actually didn't think the topping was strong enough to overpower the tobacco. This is one I have a hard time understanding when people hate it, to be honest. I haven't tried any 1792 Flake yet, but I have this feeling I'll like it whenever I can get my hands on some.

Hate: Haddo's. I smoked my way through a tin over the course of a year and regretted every smoke. Tasted like someone dumped a load of grape soda over the tobacco. Also hate Edward G. Robison's blend, but I wasn't surprised about this - I'm no real fan of Latakia, and an aro blend with Latakia didn't make sense to me to begin with. I got it for free though, so I finished the tin eventually. I also used to see Trout Stream bandied about as a decent aro, but it just tasted like steam to me. No flavor at all, but the wife liked the room note.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

No mention of Mixture 79? Can’t say that I like this one. Pretty much a hate relationship.

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. whitebar

whitebar

Login to Send PM

One blend that I love is Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Brown Flake Liquorice. I know for many just the name is a turn off but this is really good stuff. The liquorice is subtle and just lightly accentuates the brown flake taste. I don't get a lakeland taste from this one and it has really become a favorite.

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

@hawky464 have you been raiding my celler? My loves match yours almost exactly.
    Dark Flake aromatic,irish condor,dark birdseye, ennerdale & bosun cut plug are my favourites

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love: (this is just a few that would fall in that category and still available) Marlin Flake, Anniversary Kake, Barbary Coast, OGS, Capstan

Hate: 1792 Flake (there’s a petroleum taste there I just can’t get around), anything Lakeland floral.

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. tabakpfeife

tabakpfeife

Login to Send PM

I love Old Gowrie. I actually tossed 4 Noggins Bald Headed Teacher. Not sure why; I don't object to any of the ingredients but I couldn't stand the blend, aged it a couple of years, and still didn't like it. I stay away from burley blends generally, but I like it when used as a condiment; i.e.: Old Gowrie.

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Love it... Gawith Hoggarth No.7 broken flake, great taste and a proper pipe smokers aroma.

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Love:

• Pirate Kake
    • Escudo
    • Capstan Blue Flake
    • McClelland Frog Morton on the Bayou
    • Blackpoint

Hate:
    • McClelland Personal Reserve: Blackwoods Flake. It tasted like ketchup. Horrendous.
    • Haunted Bookshop. Second puff and I dumped out the pipe and rinsed with mouthwash.
    • Orlik Golden Sliced. Couldn't get into the citrus flavor at all.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Orlik Golden Sliced. Couldn't get into the citrus flavor at all.

I had a similar experience. OGS was one of the first tobaccos I purchased. I loved it at first light. After exploring numerous straight Virginia flakes and va/pers, I returned to OGS a little less enthused. I now find the citrus casing/topping to be a bit too over the top. . __.

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have anything except for goopy PG soaked aromatic blends.
    I love haunted bookshop and ps bullseye flake.
    Haunted bookshop is like baseball, there is something romantic about it lol

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

The tag on this thread is “controversial”, so here’s my take.
    There’s not really any blends in my Hate category, but those I really dislike are:
    Rattray’s Exotic Orange - chemically altered Tang flavored urinal cake (too harsh? too bad)
    Wessex Campaign Dark Flake - just don’t like the dark VAs
    Dunhill Dark Flake - just don’t like the dark VAs
    Most of the Lakeland Essence blends - I appreciate the Empire Leaf , just not the added essences.
    Stonehaven and Penzance - OK, but prefer not.
    Anything with a high DFK content.

As far as my Love list:
    McC 97 CC, McC 2000 CC, aged GH&C BSC, McC 2025-2015-#24-#25, Brunello Flake, SG B.S.Flake, GLP Cumberland-Haddo’s-Union Square, and on and on and on.
    I do really appreciate Dunhill’s Royal Yacht.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tbradsim1, ashdigger, ormazd, johnscs, civilwar, lestrout, andromeda, captpat, cigrmaster, prairiedruid, redone