PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
God gave the ultimate gift today for my 85 year old grandmother , he gave her peace. She had 6 kids, 14 grandkids and 20ish greatgrandkids. Lived majority of her life on 300 acre horse and tobacco farm. Worked her fist wedding band in two pieces just from wear on her hands. Left TN for only 6 years in her youth to serve our country. Never seen her in shoes except in church. Dipped snuff all day. Was the best cook ever no contest.She also could out fish me. She will be missed.
OK now to the point. I always buy a pipe when someone close to me dies, part PAD but part kinda dedication of it to their memory. Could be weird, but anytime I smoke "their pipe" I am overjoyed with good memories of their life. Anyone else out there do something similar? If you don't I reccomend it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sorry for your loss Dervis. It sounds like your grandma was a heckuva gal. I haven't considered bringing in a new pipe when an old friend goes out of the world. It's an interesting thought, and certainly I can see how it would add to your smoke each and every time you light up a bowl.
Thoughts and prayers with you and your family, pal.
-- Pat

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sorry to hear about your grandmother but it sounds like you have a ton of memories with her. She sounds like quite a woman. I hope you find peace and comfort in having her for so long. I think dedicating a pipe to her memory is a very endearing touch and something that will bring her back to you whenever you smoke it.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
OK now to the point. I always buy a pipe when someone close to me dies, part PAD but part kinda dedication of it to their memory. Could be weird, but anytime I smoke "their pipe" I am overjoyed with good memories of their life. Anyone else out there do something similar? If you don't I reccomend it.
My son was brutally taken from us almost exactly 1 year ago, Sept. 22/23, 2012. He was 27 and just getting his life together, signed up as an apprentice HD mechanic, enrolled in school, was getting to see his children, was working a great job, paying his bills, helping motivate friends to do better and being a damn good citizen all around.
I have purchased a Cheerywood Meerschaum pipe to remember him by and will be pulling out that pipe in his memory this weekend as I do for all special occasions/dates related to my son. I will also remember your grandmother as I smoke my pipe. Thanks for bringing this up, very interesting.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Dervis, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your outlook on your Grandmother's death is remarkable, I'd say she was a wonderful influence. Enjoy your pipe and your memories.

Rob

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
My condolences on the passing of your gramma, Dervis. You were fortunate to be able to spend time with her, and I'm sure her spirit resides in you. Take care, my friend.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Sorry to hear of your loss. She sounds like a really cool grandma.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Dervis, you will miss her forever, I do mine, yours was cool. Sorry for you loss, condolences.

PS. Both of mine were cool too.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My condolences Dervis. The remembrance pipe is a great idea.
@slownumbers: Very sorry for your loss...that’s really tough. Prayers for peace and comfort to you and your family.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dervis, what a great lady, what a great person. You were so lucky to have her until she was 85. This would

take a most special pipe as a memorial. The North Carolina pipe carver Jerry Perry carves a limited number of

pipes out of Mountain Laurel, and you might consider one of these. Anyway, you will know the proper pipe

when it appears. My condolences.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Thank you everyone, truley from the bottom of my heart thank you. Have no doubt it was a blessing. She was ready and went with a smile. We are all just passing time on this rock till we go home. She liked owls for whatever reason, so I'm thinking an owl meer as her pipe for my collection.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dervis:
What a wonderful way to commemorate a loved one or dear friend.
From your posts I gather it was time for her and I can appreciate the blessing you received.
I will remember you and yours in my prayers tonight, friend.
Fnord

latbomber

May 10, 2013
My condolences, I always like to think when people pass away that they are not gone, just somewhere else for awhile. Great idea on the pipe dedicated to them too.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Sorry for your loss Dervis. I purchased a pipe the evening before my mother had a stroke. It was duly named "Mother's pipe" and every time I smoke it I think of her. Godspeed to your dear Grandmother.
I am also sorry for your loss Slow. That has got to be so very tough to lose a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.