PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I purchased an unsmoked Weber horn/Zulu from eBay a couple of weeks back, and have enjoyed it quite a bit.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-Weber-39-Filter-Smoke-39-Bent-Horn-/262404171915?txnId=0
Recently added another to the herd, and after cleaning it up, it is a great smoker as well.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WEBER-DEEP-GRAIN-IMPORTED-BRIAR-015-SMOKING-PIPE-14K-1-10-RG-BAND-/282036300368?txnId=0
There's something quite freeing about smoking a pipe that isn't one of your collection's jewels and you don't have a whole lot of worry about damaging it. Sadly, both of these are such great smokers that I think they may be reaching the lower level of my favored smokers and worry of damage comes with that. So is a beater that smokes great still a beater, or just a lower ranking royal in your collection?

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
I am running into this as well. I've begun favoring a set of yello boles lately. My artisan pipes are even getting bumped to the lower shelf on the rack.
I think it all comes down to enjoyment, and it's possible the "lower end" pipes in a collection can be as enjoyable as any other.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
After such great results with my two Webers, I believe I will be adding more to my herd. Very impressed, and my normally reserved for weekend artisan pieces haven't even been touched this weekend. Really loving the Zulu shape as well. Effortless clenching.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
A fairly large part of my pipes are what you would consider beaters. I'm less inclined towards pretty or high end pipes than I am towards any pipe that smokes well, but looks average. I've recently sold some of my "nicer" pipes that I just wasn't finding myself reaching for that much. Some of my best smoking pipes are pretty sad looking pipes that I have restored to look less sad, and once cleaned properly I find I keep smoking them more and more. That's just part of what makes pipe smoking enjoyable to me. :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
In Texas visiting my son I brought some good Dry and light pipes,5 in all an a Old Tom Howard Bulldog, smoked the hell out of that old sucker. Didn't realize how good that old beater was. We sometimes don't appreciate the old worker bees.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
After 25 years in, I'm developing a greater appreciation for the old work horses.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Webers are my faves. Now check the orifice, the ones marked "para (over) english" on the right of the stem have great oval opening that mirror what artisans should try mirror. These aren't on all Webers so you have to watch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try not to talk about this too much. I'm glad there are crown jewels that cost a great deal and represent the finer aspects of craftsmanship and materials. But sometimes you wake up from the trance of one of the best smokes of your life, and friends, it isn't one of them.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I don't have any extremely high end pipes. My crown jewel at the moment is one old ASPC pipe that is from the 80's. I have an old Parker and an old Stanwell Sterling in rotation. Working on a Dunhill Zulu. All are great smokers. I picked up a Kaywoodie Fine Line recently at a flea market. Not the most sought after Kaywoodie by any means. I cleaned it up (it took a great deal of work because the stem was taped on) and did some small modifications to it and this thing smokes Va's like nobody's business. Not bad for under $4. I actually can't wait until it comes back into rotation after I smoke it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm with you C.M.! Beaters are VITAL part of any collection. Smoking ones "Jewels" on any regular basis makes them less special. I value the special times with special pipes, but having pipes that you can freely beat the crap out of and not cry... It's necessary. I try to always have at least a pair of such pipes.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
When you purchase an artisan pipe you expect it should smoke very well. Finding an oddball beater that does is like mining a gem. I get a lot of satisfaction looking for that diamond in the rough.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I try to spread the love to all my pipes, beaters, delicate oldies, and all in between. Had to learn and relearn to not wander out the door with a pipe I need to be careful with.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
From my beat to hell Comoy's Grandslam to my Toku and everything in-between all my pipes get the same treatment. They're all beaters and are all the better for it. Pipes are functional art, but art all the same. The guy with rack after rack of gleaming closet queens gets the same respect from me as the crustiest, one pipe codger. We all love pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Duane-
The photos on the second pipe are way better than the ones on the first. How identical are they?
Very nice finds.
s-l1600.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The first has a slightly smaller bowl and takes a 9mm filter, but both have the same bend. The first was unsmoked, and the second was very well taken care of with only a couple of minor dings. I call both of them car and work pipes, but both are really great smokers!

Status
Not open for further replies.