PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Ok, I’ve had a chance to smoke both the Grabow Royalton and the Cob pipe. The Grabow has a more sophisticated look to it but the Cob, in my honest and very limited opinion, just smokes a whole lot better. I decided to have my weekly smoke this morning after the house cleared out, I started work at 10am, and had a heck of a time keeping the Grabow going. I had to light it 4 or 5 times. When I smoke the Cob I can light it once, smoke it slow and it just keeps going until the tobacco is gone.
I tried the Sweet Briar from Sterling Tobacco today and admit the room note was probably the best I’ve had the chance to experience. The taste wasn’t there though, it seems like a tobacco that is smoked for the benefit of those in the room, not a bad idea if you’re convincing a spouse of your new hobby. The Montego Bay that Twin sent me has the right combination of taste and room note.
Just a few thoughts, love the cob.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
A cob and Sweet Briar make a perfect afternoon, jaybird--a nice, uncomplicated smoke. You'll really start to appreciate the flavor of the quality leaf and delicate casing that Jack uses after trying dozens of others in that flavor profile. Enjoy them!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Starting exploring VaPers in-depth a few months back. Found several I really like.

Odd thing for me is that most of them taste best in a cob. AJ's VaPer works for me in any pipe but aside from that one, most blends that contain an appreciable amount of Perique don't taste good except in a cob!
Oh yeah, there is certainly love for the cob.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I love cobs and use a couple in my rotation. There is just something simplistic about them and a an air of sweetness in the first couple of smokes that is hard not to appreciate.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
If a cob smokes good for You then smoke it. I like them and not a thing wrong with smoking them.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I'm also a big collector of grabows but i do have a few good mm cobs and they all smoke great.Loading a cob and loading a grabow or whatever brand you prefer are different and the tobacco will taste different,guess what i'm trying to say is a cob ain't briar and a briar pipe ain't a cob,but smoke what you enjoy i do and to hell with the rest.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am especially fond of cobs in the summer,with "codger burleys" - Prince Al, Kentucky Club. They just seemt o go together.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i smoke whatever moves me at the time, pipe wise--the same with tobacco--
(but i can safely say that mix 79 will never move me again--)
the cob is natures gift to tobacco--IMHO

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
more often than not i find myself looking forward to and wanting to smoke the cob more than any other pipe i have, its old reliable.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I almost always smoke my MM Legend with the unclearthur stem in "The Officer's Club" at work and I have a MM Great Dane Egg that I have started picking up when we take our little doggy for a walk in the park. It will soon become my first "Cobwarden" once my unclearthur stem gets here for that one. Perfect walkin' around pipe.
Don't get me wrong. I love my briars and absolutely adore my Meer, but MMs are just damn good smokin' pipes. They're like that old ratty t-shirt or flannel you wear on weekends until it falls apart because it's so damn comfortable.
A $5 MM pipe + a $4 bag of baccy + a scrounged 16 penny nail + 99¢ lighter = Pure bliss that most any man could afford. Makes me proud to be an American!

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Since cobs outnumber briars in my two rotations 21 to 3, it does my heart good to hear that someone elae has discovered the joys of cobbing.

Jul 15, 2011
I own 6 MM Generals. I love the bowl size. For me, those are my "initial taste test" pipes. Cobs offer such a pure, dry, clean smoke, they allow to enjoy the taste of the tobacco the way it should be. After I know what the tobacco is supposed to taste like, I will move it to whichever briar will become its new home, or hell, sometimes, I just keep smoking it in a cob! I find that Half and Half in a cob with a glass of Lemonade is heaven on Earth!

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I love my cobs also. I have 7 Country Gentleman, a legend,a Washington and 2 Freehands.....I really enjoy the Country Gents everything smokes nice in them. :puffy:

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Anyone smoke a free hand cob? From the pictures online the bowl looks bigger.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I love my cobs and I'm planning on getting a MM Country Gent next since it looks a little nicer than the average cob.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.