PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
In my opinion lovats are the perfect shape for a pipe. Besides these and the bigger bent pipes I call my "house pipes" I can't imagine buying anything else.
IMG_2380.JPG

Butz Choquin, new old stock from my local tobacconist.
IMG_2385.JPG

Peterson Killarny, I took the varnish off because it smoked hot. I've noticed that some varnished Petersons do not smoke hot at all though it improve this one.
IMG_2389.JPG

Genod with horn stem from Sebastian Beau at the Chicago show. He had sold it to a retailer after I looked at it. After expressing regret that I thought twice before buying he asked if I would buy it if he got it back. I said yes and he traded something with the guy and sold me it. You don't see horn stems being made often.
IMG_2396.JPG

Peterson DeLuxe estate from Chicago.
IMG_2397.JPG

Brebbia. This is my knock-around lovat.
IMG_2398.JPG

Dunhill Shell, a very special gift.
IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

Wessex from the Chacom table at the show. I am now in love with French and French-made pipes! One of the best values in a factory pipe in my opinion.
IMG_2393.JPG

Thanks for looking! I hope to see plenty of lovats posted!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That is a very nice collection. I envy you, being able to love just one shape so much.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
That is a lovely collection of Lovats. I only have one Comoy in that shape, but would like to collect more. Aside from the billiard, the lovat, for me, is the quintessential pipe shape.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Along with rigmedic1, I admire the ability to focus on one shape. It gives you a lot of variety around

that one characteristic. I have one Joh's Lovat, a nice smooth, lightweight pipe with a disproportionately

large bowl, really nice. I like the spareness and the fact I can clench it almost unaware. But I am a shape

variety junky -- billiards, Canadian, dipomat, bulldog, Rhodesian, poker, cherrywood, etc. etc. It's my

lot in life.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Beautiful! I have been trying to get one of those good looking wessex... no luck so far.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Thank you for the nice comments everyone!
Rigmedic and mso, it took a while until I discovered my perfect shape. About 5 years into smoking I spotted a lovat at a B&M that was a little too pricey for me at the time but I always thought about that pipe and looked for something similar. I got the Killarney in a trade with Uncle Arthur and fell in love with it and since then I have been adding more to the herd. I always considered myself a smoker and not a collector until I started to focus on lovats. It's very nice looking at a group that all fit together so well (like Harris's Rads) and it's easier on the wallet. I already know what my next 5 or 6 purchases will be and it's only a matter of saving up over time and waiting for them to cross my path.
Though variety is nice which is why I also purchase variations on the bent billiard. I know which ones I'm after as well.
Tbradsim, Canadians are very nice as well and I always admire them.
Dnietosi, I'm very pleased with the Wessex. How many pipes that come with a recommended retail under $90 have a hand cut brindle stem? Check Iwan Reis they were selling them for the Chacom table at Chicago.

jogilli

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
really nice collection. and I can't say I disagree with you regarding the shape
james

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice collection assaad. I like lovats too. I have examples from Peterson, Stanwell and Radice. I'm also a fan of the lovat's cousin the Canadian. There's something about the long shank of briar that really makes a cool well smoking pipe.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I have a Dunhill Lovat in a smooth finish. It is one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.