Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
I have my eyes on two new pipes to expand my small collection, but have some questions about the shapes. If any of you knowledgeable gentlemen have an opinion to share on either, it would be most appreciated.
1. A Lovat - I have a billiard shape and from what I read the bowl shape of the Lovat is the same. Does the longer shank produce a different smoking experience, or is it purely aesthetical? Anything else, pros or cons?
2. A Blowfish - this one is (to my eyes) a very good looking pipe in a shape much different from what I have. Anything I should consider about this shape before pulling the trigger?
Thanks in advance for any input :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
No, the shank being longer with increased diameter doesn't change the smoke. Just a different shape. In fact the shape is irrelevant, including churchwardens. What matters is your attraction to it. Some find that the material from which the pipe is made, briar, morta, meer, cob, clay, impacts the smoke, but I never found this true. Blowfish come more or less convoluted. "chasingembers" has one by Bruce Weaver that I've often admired.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have two from Bruce, and love the asymmetrical shaping!
The fugu.
687_9734blowfish5-600x462.jpg

The Ivarsson style.
687_9743fish3-600x308.jpg

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Saltedplug, thank you, that cleared things up a lot. I will then steer by attraction only when I acquire my new pipes.
Chasing Embers, those are gorgeous pipes. I think my hopefully soon-to-be Blowfish is a little more modest in make and appearance, but still very charming.
Jaytex969, haha good one. I'll just rest my case :puffpipe:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
If my house was burning down, the Lovats would be first out the door. It is very (very) hard to have buyers remorse when buying a good lovat. Whereas I’ve had failure to launch with prior blowfish, I’ve never sold or traded a single lovat. I say that only because you are just starting to expand your collection, so a classic lovat is a solid choice. But the blowfish sure are pretty.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Thanks Neal, that's some great advice. I'm also just as intrigued by the look of the Lovat, so I think I'll splurge and get both of these.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Some people do argue that the Lovat, Lumberman, Canadian all the longer shank shapes do cool the smoke down. The theory is that with more wood to pass through more of the moisture is absorbed by the wood giving a drier cooler smoke. I've personally experienced it to a small degree, but I haven't sat down and done experiments to test moisture levels or anything so it could very well be a placebo effect.
I will say many people I've talked to who have the reverse calabash style do mention it is considerably a drier cooler smoke in them.
As for a blowfish I'd say maybe make sure the chamber is to the measurements you want.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Now now, gentlemen, I assure you this is not a case of PAD. I simply realized how empty my life would probably feel without these objects of my desire, hence making the perfectly rational decision to purchase both.
Lordofthepipering, that's an interesting theory about the Lovat. Can't wait to give it a try myself, and I'm beginning to have quite high expectations of the experience.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Weezell, now that is one impressive collection, I'm struck with admiration. Some very cool looking meers there. Mmmm meers. I surely need to look into those as well... 8O

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I surely need to look into those as well...

Jfred, your quotes are golden. Stay gold pony boy. I know we are joking, but these are like classic PAD anonymous quotes.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Npod, however much this deserves a more thorough reply, I'm currently busy researching how one would go about obtaining one of those wonderful yachtsman mentioned earlier by Chasing Embers :D

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I'm currently busy researching how one would go about obtaining one of those wonderful yachtsman

This is getting fun. Deeper and deeper we go.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm currently busy researching how one would go about obtaining one of those wonderful yachtsman mentioned earlier by Chasing Embers
I'll help. Those are Savinelli's 904, the pre '70s 9004, and GBD's 9613.

Status
Not open for further replies.