PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are a fan of Louis Armstrong -- if you like music and have a heart -- don't miss

his home in Corona Queens NYC, which is now a well restored museum. It is not a vast

mansion, but is a comfortable and spacious home, and it has been outfitted with sound

in several rooms that bring you both his music and his conversation. The staff is conversant

in his music and life history and is extremely welcoming. You get the feel for the person

and his times. He was a mentor and friend to neighborhood kids. When we arrived a bit

late for the last tour, the guide invited two neighborhood kids, about eight or nine years

old, to join us, which added to the spirit presence of the former owner. To me, in his

interpretations, Armstrong was a sort of improvisational composer, building on standards

but creating whole new pieces from the material, a jazz trumpet Mozart would not be

too grandiose. The home is a bit out of the way, so leave time, and savor the atmosphere.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'm an old Louis Armstrong fan from way back. My favorite recordings are the 1928 recordings with Earl Hines. The Columbia recordings. Some blissful tunes from that year. In those days, Louis had something to prove. And boy, did he ever. Caught the world by the collar and gave it a great big tug. Ain't been the same since. Those were his "viper" days, if you know what I mean. Louis blew his lip out in 1933. Never sounded as good as he did back in '28. But Louis was so good, the world never took notice. And after a few years healing, he was back on his game. All the way to the end. One the most pleasurable things for me is to listen to those early recording while smoking my pipe.
Louis Armstrong Vol IV with Earl Hines ~ Louis Armstrong
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000026T8/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_IZoQsb1EM9G6J

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"What a wonderful World" is my cell phone ringtone & what people hear when they call me. He is an icon...to me.

Aug 14, 2012
Kashmir: I believe all his days were Viper days. Do you know the piece "Laughing Louis"? It was done after the intermission.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Louis Armstrong was a special man. He was many things to many people, but, you're right foggy, he was a viper all the way to the end.
d49033595cba0e2e8210b15177181.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
It's a slang term from the 1930s used in the jazz world, in which Louis Armstrong was part of, front and center.
If You're a Viper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_You're_a_Viper

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Yep, he was a huge advocate of cannibus, and was a daily smoker. I have a book that has a copy of the letter he wrote to Eisenhower trying to get him to legalize it. Louis and Paul McCartney( who holds the Guiness Book of World Records as the great composer in history are both users of the natural plant. It's a shame the public is so brainwashed into believing that it is so harmful, the products which hemp could replace are too numerous to mention, all the while improving our world.
brainwashed Sheeple :crying:

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I will plug Terry Teachout's fantastic biography of Armstrong, released a couple of years ago, called Pops: A Life of Louis Armstrong. It is extremely well-written, engaging, and a joy to read. It's not too technical for the non-musician and is one of the best books of its kind I have ever read.
Amazon has it here, and it's probably in your local library (that's where I found it).
(Teachout has a new one out, by the way - a biography of Duke Ellington. I can't wait to read it.)

Aug 14, 2012
I find most music just plain annoying, but not Pops. It is always a special occasion for me when I hear his music.

Status
Not open for further replies.