PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Reading numbersix's post about refinishing a Barclay Rex. I realized I have a few pipes laying around that needed some attention.

They were basically sotting unused due to some small issue.

I had bought a BR on Ebay that had some nice grain, but smoked very wet and the finish was just a little redder than I liked. When I was restoring it I got a drop of alcohol on the briar and so much red finish came off I thought I had cut myself.

I went to a new Ace Hardware that opened by me. While I was looking for some stain I remembered that Old Cajun had said I could find fire place morter there so I picked up a tube of that. I would be able to use that to build up the bowl of a four dot Sasieni that was drilled to deep. While I was at the hardware store I decided to pick up a new index of drill bits that I could use to open the tenon of a Royal Soverign that was giving me some gurgling problems.

Three projects in one trip not bad...

When I sanded down the Barclay I noticed that it must have had a coat of brown stain under it's red finish. It looked good and showed the grain nicely. I liked the satin finish and the way it felt in my hand so I just gave it a wipe down with mineral oil.

I'll attempt to post a pic but this is being written on my smart phone and I am just not that smart...

I also got a layer of mortar in the bottom of my Sasieni and am just waiting for it to dry enough to smoke a bowl and really get a heat cure.

Drilled the Barclay and the Royal Soverign and I am happy to say the draw is much easier.

Three more pipes back into the rotation.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I can't fix the pictures. You can't upload pictures from the forums. You have to upload the to an image hosting site such as photobucket, and then use the links from there.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats twangthang. That's great. My Barclay-Rex was a great smoker, but the exterior burn bugged me enough that I didn't use it much - a lot like your pipes. Now it's one of my favs.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
When I sanded down the Barclay I noticed that it must have had a coat of brown stain under it's red finish.

It looked good and showed the grain nicely.

I also had a couple of pipes that looked wonderful when the finish was removed. Makes one wonder why some

companies bother with the extra layering. Maybe it's just a fashion thing. Today, less is more, I guess.
Anyway, thanks for the post. :clap: Let us know how that fireplace mortar works for you.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Okay finally got home and here are (hopefully) the before and after pics/

I got one smoke in her and have to say it really smokes well with the better draw.

Cheers

Jim

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Wow,I thiink that was a great improvement! I love it when you sand down a pipe bowl and find something amazing underneath.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Great job looks much better. Briar does darken with age and taking off the outside finish left you with a nice grain. I would advise against using a mineral oil polish on the outside as it will soak into the briar, and you don't want to be smoking that. A good buffing, even by hand with some carnauba wax will give you a nice finish. If you want to coat the pipe with something you can take shellac and mix it down about 50% (or more) with isopropyl alcohol and just use a pipe cleaner and apply it softly.

Status
Not open for further replies.