PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I recently revisited the game Assassins Creed 3. For those during the that don't know, it takes place in America during the revolution. Many of the characters in the game can be seen smoking a clay pipe. There is also one who smokes a cigar. I thought it was pretty cool. Also very historically accurate. Just thought I'd share this.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Right on Uber. I asked my son about that. He said yep there's an old grouchy Sargent that is always chewing on a cigar. Cool game though. I don't play but I do enjoy watching my son play.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Yeah, it's everywhere really. Walk up to talk to someone, and often they are smoking a pipe. Walk through city streets for a minute or two, and you will see sevaral pipe smokers. It has me wanting a pipe, but my mouth isn't entirely healed, so I'm not gonna have one yet.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
The sailing ship Naval battle sequences are my favorite parts in that game.
Give it a few more days to be safe and then you can get back to your pipes.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
The pamphlet said not to use a straw or smoke for 24 hours, but I didn't want to take chances. I'm using my ecig at the moment. It's been almost a week, so I feel safe with that. I've been using snuff until today.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Smoking the digital pipe as it were.
My flat-screen died and I havn't been able to jump on the Xbox in a while.
No pipe smoking in Skyrim...yet. 8)

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
In the MMPORPG Lord of the Rings Online, characters can have their characters smoke. There's even the option to grow your own pipe weed, and make your own tobacco. Some of the pipe smoking animations are very good, and some even have some good humor in them.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I haven't gotten a chance to play any of the Assassin Creed games yet but now even more of a reason too!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@ Spartan: There's a mod that adds pipe smoking to Skyrim, from nexusmods.com, here: Skyrim Pipe Smoking Mod
The modders say it was developed from their Cannabis Smoking mod, just without the cannabis! There's a long animation, with you sitting cross-legged on the floor, and they use the Lord of the Rings movies' churchwarden. You craft your own pipe from firewood at a blacksmith's anvil, and there's even a non-hostile spell you can cast on your NPCs to make them light up. There's only one pipeweed: Elves Ear (you'll need some to fill your pipe before you can smoke).
I might have to check that out; there's uninstall instructions also on the link if it breaks Dragonborn or something.
SkyrimPipeSmoking_zpsc1d81600.jpg

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Yeah, Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag is scheduled to be released for the PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PS4 in October 2013. The main character is the father and grandfather of the two main characters from AC3, and is a pirate and whaler on the high seas. I'm looking forward to it.
And though you never see it, Dwarves in the World of Warcraft game are dedicated pipe-smokers who are said to never travel anywhere without their favorite pipe.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I rember in Elder Scrolls Morrowind a game I still think is one of the very best games I have ever played I carried a skooma pipe around on my character all the time just so he had a pipe lol.The new AC looks very good and if you know any of the books at all the character you play as in Black Flag was trained by the guy you played at the beginning of AC3.I still have to finish AC3 long game. :)

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
This will be the next thing that video games promote, children smoking, yet again nothing to do with all the smoking in movies and TV. We can never point the finger at golden Hollywood for anything like that. I can see how shooting cartoon figures on a computer monitor can lead to killing, which never occurred before TV. But it’s ok to show actual people portray in the most realistic ways killing and dismembering people every night having no effect. I would just once like to hear at the end of a tragic story…”He watched violent television” instead of “he also played video games.”

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I carried a skooma pipe

Wrong pipe!(skooma is a drug in the Elder Scroll series)

PETA opined how appalling it is that Ubisoft would promote and graphical depict the hunting of whales. I loved Ubisoft's response.

PETA pisses me off. I' all for animal rights, I think if an animal is raised solely for slaughter, it should at least be killed as painlessly as possible. But they go overboard all the time. I mean its digital whale hunting. Whats the big deal?

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Bad Spartan! You don't want to end up like Caius Cosades do you?
A Skooma pipe, some moon sugar in the bowl, and the refined moon sugar (the Skooma) in the two purple potion bottles in the back:

Skooma_zps12c87733.jpg

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I'm playing through the Assassin's Creed games now. They're fantastic games, but get a bit repetitive after a while. I'm on number two, at the moment. The colonial-era game looks like it breaks the mold, so to speak, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.