(31 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by Kevin Godbee
  • Latest reply from bigpond
  1. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

We have two brand new write-ups.

James Foster has detailed coverage on what will be happening with the two new separate ownerships of the Peterson Pipes brand, and the Peterson tobacco brand.

At the end of James' article is a link to Fred Brown's Q&A with Sykes Wilford.

Start here:
    Changing of the Guard: The End of the Dublin Era at Peterson

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 11 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent articles.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 11 months ago #
  3. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It'll take some time before they win back my business. Horrible QC has always been my main bitch (continued dipstaining even when they claimed they stopped doing it, poor drilling, and yes it's been seen even in their high end pipes. I'm glad to see Palmer leaving. I'm looking forward to the change and hoping for some much needed improvements.

And I guess it's too much to ask to end the ugly, awkward and dreaded looking p-lip and make more stems in fishtail vulcanite. But one can dream.

from the article; grammar nazi alert, "phrasing" the bowls? I think it's fraised/fraising.

Fraising Machine: "A pipe-making machine that shapes the bowl, shank, and heel of the pipe by turning the block of wood while a chisel cuts the wood automatically"

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I look forward to reading them later when I have more time. Naively I thought Peterson made the tobaccos as well, but they were sold separately?

Posted 11 months ago #
  5. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the heads up on the article

Posted 11 months ago #
  6. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome article, just finished reading it.

Posted 11 months ago #
  7. morgansteele

morgansteele

Login to Send PM

Great article. Thanks. I'm excited to see how Peterson moves forward into the future.

Posted 11 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Good article,just finished reading it.

Posted 11 months ago #
  9. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It'll take some time before they win back my business. Horrible QC has always been my main bitch (continued dipstaining even when they claimed they stopped doing it, poor drilling, and yes it's been seen even in their high end pipes. I'm glad to see Palmer leaving. I'm looking forward to the change and hoping for some much needed improvements.

And I guess it's too much to ask to end the ugly, awkward and dreaded looking p-lip and make more stems in fishtail vulcanite. But one can dream.

from the article; grammar nazi alert, "phrasing" the bowls? I think it's fraised/fraising.

Fraising Machine: "A pipe-making machine that shapes the bowl, shank, and heel of the pipe by turning the block of wood while a chisel cuts the wood automatically"

Good catch on the fraising. Now when it comes to quality - Mark Irwan can talk at length about the perception of quality you got in say 1970 or earlier and how it was just the same as it is now, it hasn't changed at all and they grade all bowls the same as they always have. American sensibility has grown more towards that of Germans when it comes to looking at a pipe and are more scrutinizing than we used to be.

Posted 11 months ago #
  10. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

QC has to improve, hopefully it is being recognized internally. The way I read this article is that everything is A-OK

STG did not add much either but seemed more realistic to the current events. We will continue what has been selling well, otherwise...we have no idea yet.

For me I hope for a substantial improvement overall.

Aim high!

Posted 11 months ago #
  11. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plenty of typos and redaction mistakes there. Please, do edit the articles. I understand that maybe the writer is in a rush/deadline to publish them, but such sloppiness make them appear very unprofessional. Not trying to be a grammar black shirt here, but I do care about the site and want it to be and look top notch.

Regarding the subject, interesting read. I might buy a Peterson system pipe after all. I've always wanted a P-lip.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 11 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds as if there are good relationships for the future on both the pipe and tobacco sides. Both sides are being bought by outfits that have a primary interest in the products involved.

Posted 11 months ago #
  13. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice article.

Plenty of typos and redaction mistakes there.

Yeah, my high school English teachers would be screaming.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  14. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's only a 120 year fad.. it will pass

Posted 11 months ago #
  15. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

70, 000 pipes produced per year-OK, I'd expect a few clunkers QC-wise. But, then again, I wouldn't use that excuse to rest on my laurels but rather would strive to reduce the "flaw-rate" even further.

Posted 11 months ago #
  16. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My main beef is the dipstaining.

And if they make that many pipes a year? They need the right amount of QC people hired on. One guy just ain't getting them all checked. Maybe hire two ?

Yeah wow, 120 years of the p-lip. Yeah, prehistoric Professor Pepperwinkle basement physics to shoot smoke upwards away from the tongue. And a design to look fugly. Tradition is a strange thing sometimes. Even the name is odd, Pee-lip.

OK, pot stirred. Go !

Posted 11 months ago #
  17. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah wow, 120 years of the p-lip. Yeah, prehistoric Professor Pepperwinkle basement physics to shoot smoke upwards away from the tongue. And a design to look fugly. Tradition is a strange thing sometimes. Even the name is odd, Pee-lip.

Here's an easy solution; don't buy one.

Posted 11 months ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rewrite! I'll probably not add to my Petersons at my age. Never had a bad one, never had to toss one. Purchased a dozen over the last 55 years.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  19. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, prehistoric Professor Pepperwinkle basement physics

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 11 months ago #
  20. witchofthehollow

witchofthehollow

Login to Send PM

That was a fun read thank you !

Posted 11 months ago #
  21. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great read. Sounds to me that it's a win for everyone... Peterson, Laudisi, STG, and the consumers.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 11 months ago #
  22. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 24 Peterson pipes (doesn't count the one I just purchased ) roughly half of them are p-lips and I don't mind them at all. Having said that....every shape and style of Peterson that I own has the option of P-lip or fishtail. Pick your poison.

Long live the p-lip.

Posted 11 months ago #
  23. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great article full of terrific info! Thanks to both James and Kevin for keeping us so well informed.

Pipestud
    Posted 11 months ago #
  24. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting article, it looks like exciting times at Peterson, and there is much for enthusiasts to be excited about too.

P-lips are like anything else in this hobby, a point of personal preference.

Posted 11 months ago #
  25. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, pot stirred. Go

I was so hoping we could put the p-lip argument to bed way back in chapter 583 of the debate, but it looks like we'll have to go another couple hundred rounds...

BTW, I wish I could have my non Petersons somehow converted to p-lips...gauntlet picked up...go

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 11 months ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Argument? Some of us will argue over any detail! I have a few p-lips and like them, though not enough to seek them out over fishtails.

Good article, with spots of bad phrasing, and some typos concerning fraising.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  27. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BTW, I wish I could have my non Petersons somehow converted to p-lips...gauntlet picked up...go

Interesting note, Mark talked to me about how the p-lip quality has changed if you look at a recent p-lip vs one from 30-40 years ago the plip has gotten rounder and harder to clench. WHere back years ago you could easily clench them. The supplier of the stems has gotten, lazy or cut corners. It's something that can be fixed because the p-lip and a system pipe are so perfect together, using a fishtail on a system is an abomination!

Posted 11 months ago #
  28. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a fan of the P-lip? Nearly every pipe Peterson makes is available with a fishtail, so get one of those. Don't like The System? Ditto.

For the record, I am well established as a devotee of Petersons. In part it has to do with cultural affinity. In part it has to do with a passion for traditional shapes executed beautifully, and with telling detail. More than half the pipes in my rack are Petes, and I would say 75% of my smoking is done in Petes.

That said, I don't much like The System, and have only a few of those, as they were pipes I found or wanted for other reasons.

I think the Laudisi acquisition of the pipe-making arm of the company is simply tremendous news. To see this 150-year-old national treausre in the hands of people who love, respect and understand it is a relief, and brings much excitement.

{And without wishing to stir the pot, I'll say I'm bedamned if I can understand the Pete-hate that often rears its head here. Don't like 'em? Well then don't buy 'em. Don't like the p-lip? Don't buy one. But what in heaven's name is it in some censorious people that makes them wish to see ALL people limited by their particular taste. What arrogance or sanctimony must they hold to think their personal opinion is imbued with some universal authority? What twisted, rocky, path of tyrannical thinking leads from "I don't like p-lips/rap music/rocking chairs/whatever-the-hell" to "I think p-lips/rap music/rocking chairs/whatever-the-hell should be gotten rid of."}

Posted 11 months ago #
  29. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I LOVE Peterson pipes. That's pretty much all I smoke. I've stated that here on the forum multiple times.

The few little things I don't like about them, I openly post my opinions. I sure do appreciate the tips on avoiding buyng pee-lipped Peterson pipes. The thought never crossed my mind. So enlightening.

Remember, it's just an opinion, and only hurts a person if they let it. Be strong, soldiers of the pipes. Breathe and scroll on.

Posted 11 months ago #
  30. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tslex, my screen name was chosen due to both cultural affiliation and the fact the Peterson is my favorite pipe maker.

Posted 11 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

James, thanks for taking the time to put the article together.

To the jerks that criticize his editorial skills and proofreading; chill out.

You know how every artisan pipe site makes mention of superior engineering to ensure the highest level of smoking perfection, right? Well, it turns out drilling a straight line and smoothing things out doesn’t really involve much engineering. After all today’s artisan pipescan trace a pretty straight line back a good. three hundred years or so.

By contrast, the system approaches the Venturi effect and accommodates for byproducts of combustion using...drumroll....engineering

Posted 11 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cshubhra, lloydcole, clickklick, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow