PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
hey guys, back in ~1997-1998 I purchased a savinelli Achilles favorite- I can not locate the certificate that came with this pipe. I think this pipe is somewhat rare, it is the sea coral capri straight classic natural-rusticated with a ebonite stem. it also has a (925) silver band with and id number of A054. does anyone on this forum know anything about this pipe?? I have emailed savinelli with no reply as of yet. this really worries me because I know that not having the proper documentation could affect the pipes value. I plan too leave all my pipes to my daughter someday, I have a few very nice hi end pipes. any help you guys may have I would very much appreciate. thanks.
mike.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hi Mike,
I have a similar Savinelli Achilles Favorite and have sold several of them (heck, probably close to a dozen) on consignment on my eBay site over the years. Depending on the condition they can sell for upwards of $175.00. I've seen some at pipe shows for sale, too. The $175 mark is also about what they sell for at shows (if in good condition.) An unsmoked piece can sometimes bring more, especially if the box and paperwork are included.
Pipestud

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
thanks pipestud. it retailed for about 300 us dollars back in the day. do you know how rare this pipe might be? can I get a replacement certificate for this pipe? I heard only maybe ~15,000 where made total, do you know if this is ture? I think I have purchased a charatan from you. anymore info I could from you is greatly appreciataed.
mike.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
you have to excuse me kevin. this issue really bugs sir. I need info on this pipe. I think I can get a new certificate, hopefully.
take care.

mike.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I need some help guys, that's all. I am not educated. yeah maybe I did forget the shift key. oh well.... I am being serious here guys. thanks for your help.
mike.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Relax Mike, Kevin and numbersix were just bustin' your chops a bit. Happens to me all the time.
I can't answer your question as to when exactly those originals were produced. I just looked at the nomenclature on mine and on the wood at the base of the bowl (which is smooth while the rest of the pipe is a deep tan rustication) are the words "Savinelli, Italy," and and nine stars. On the Sterling Silver band is stamped "La Mia Pipa, .925 in an oval, and the letter and numbers A059." Getting a replacement certificate would probably be impossible. Owning the original box will probably enhance the value a little.
I have my original box and the certificate which indicates the shape is a straight classic and the finish is a special rustic "Sea Coral-Capri" On the back of the certificate it says, "REGISTRATION NUMBER, Your pipe has stamped on the silver ring the following registration number that makes it unique and identifiable. The registration number is A059." And then signed in original ink by Giancarlo Savinelli (one of the sons of Achilles Savinelli.)
The certificate does have printed the Savinelli internet website as well as the Savinelli email address, so the original series had to have come out in the 1990's at some point. I do know that there have been subsequent Achilles Savinelli II and Achilles Savinelli III series since the original long stemmed Capri Billiard shape/finish.
As for the number of these original pipes produced, I have no idea, but if your number of 15,000 is correct, then the pipe isn't really rare at all. That's a lot of briar!
Perhaps you could email Savinelli with your registration number to see if they might send you a replacement registration number, but I suspect they may be reluctant to do that for a variety of reasons.
Hope this helps a little bit, Mike... and I hope you get that shift key fixed soon. :wink:
Pipestud

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
thanks pipestud. I have spoken with a customer service rep at savinelli, and sent an email as well. I do have the original box. my pipe I think is one of the originals made with id # A054. my certificate sounds just like yours. thanks for your response. damn shift hey....
mike.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Hey Pipestud, I am not sure how many pipes where made in this line. Perhaps only 1,500 instead of the 15,000 number. My Number is A054.... With that said I contacted Savinelli @ their website address. I contacted the USA Distributor. To make a long story short, The USA Distributor contacted the folks in Milan Italy in regards to my request. The folks in Milan sent a copy of the Certificate to the USA Distributor (laudisi.com). They sent me a copy of the Certificate Via email. I printed out the copy and took it to the UPS Store. I described what the certificate looked like to them. The printed copy was white in color. The original certificate was a vanilla color. The UPS Store was able to make me a copy of the certificate which I consider to be 95-100% Authentic. Meaning that the information and color and thickness is the same as the original certificate. I plan on leaving this pipe to my daughter when I pass. Perhaps she could obtain the most value possible with the certificate and box. None the less I fell better having something to show Authenticity.
Take Care All.
Mike.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Thank You Sir. (rothnh).. Maybe I should try to post some pics. I do feel better.
Mike.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
The code number A054 is stamped on the bottom side of the silver band. I am very pleased with the results.
Mike.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As many pipes as Savenelli sells, their tracking the number on your pipe and coming up with a copy of

the certificate is astounding. I wouldn't have had the optimism to ask. Congratulations on tracking this

down, mlyvers. Like, a refrigerator manufacturer, major name brand, can't even come up with a source

for a replacement crisper drawer for their $1K product three years after they sell it to you, and this could

mean more $ for them. So all honors and plaudits to Savenelli. They are clearly devoted to the pipe smoker,

not just to selling pipes. It's a whole different attitude from nearly every other manufacturing business.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Hey guys, great news here. I found the original certificate for my Savinelli Achilles Favorite Pipe. I found it under one of my pipe racks. I was in the process of relocating my pipes from my computer room to a new display case. when I picked up the rack there it was my certificate, I was very happy too have it here with me all the time, I thought I had thrown it away mistakenly. I am not sure, but I think this pipe will be worth a pretty penny at some point. I still have the original box along with the certificate. I love this forum, take care piper brothers.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
mylvers, I had guessed the outcome before I got to the pertinent post. You dumbass :rofl:

shit like that happens to me all the time. What a waste of energy. I'll learn, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.