PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ordered an unsmoked estate pipe, a Sav 404 zulu/yacht unfinished pipe, from smokingpipes.com,

but oops, someone else had already ordered it ten minutes before I did. SP is really fast in removing

pipes from the online site, but in this case, I was caught in the middle. This pipe was $45, and I

jumped on it, but not fast enough. They offered me a credit or a refund, and I asked for the refund.

Don't expect to see that pipe at the price, unsmoked, again any time soon. The estate market must be

really hot.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The estate market is very hot. If such a thing is possible, I think it is becoming a bubble. People are flipping pipes now like folks were flipping houses back before 2008.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Although the pictures are no longer available to give us a sense of the pipe's condition, I think this listing provides perspective on how the market has heated up of late. I hope a buyers market will reemerge.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
mso489, When I first saw your OP I thought this thread would get quite a bit of interest.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Same thing happend to me about 6 months ago, added a Peterson Patent System to the cart, then went back and added some tobacco. When I was checking out, the Peterson was no longer available, :crying: this was in a time span of about 5 minutes. We win some, and we lose some. :puffy:

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I know sites like ticketmaster will temporarily hold concert seats when you place them in your cart. If you don't pull the trigger within a certain window (a few minutes) the seats are again made publically available. This would be a nice feature for our favorite pipe and tobacco websites, both for the above-mentioned problems of having pipes purchased out from under you and also for those hard-to-get tobaccos that might get snapped up quickly.
The cost/benefit might not be there from the companies' point-of-view based on how infrequently it happens and the unlikelihood of it causing customer loss, but in a perfect world it would be nice!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had I been a newcomer at SP, I might have been put off, but they have been excellent over so many purchases over years.

They gave me free shipping on my next order when a gift didn't get to the recipient on time, and brought a pipe to my local

pipe show to save me shipping, and so on. From observation, I know the estate market has really heated up. I think all the

online retailers know it's good customer relations to get those sold pipe off the site (or marked SOLD) as soon as possible.

I have been spoiled in some instances by being able to brood over a pipe for years (literally) and finally bought it. Some pipes

just don't sell. But an unsmoked Savenelli estate pipe on a well-respected site like SP, buy now or bid it farewell.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Same thing happened to me with a gorgeous Castello on Briar Blues not too long ago. I almost pulled the trigger, then thought I would go run a few errands and if it was there when I got back then that meant it was mine. Looked an hour later and it was gone. It showed up in a post here shortly after, so it went to a forum member (Pruss, if I'm not mistaken), so that somehow made it slightly better, haha. You have to act fast with these estates, or forever hold your peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.