PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
So, first I burn out my taste buds through years of eating spicy-hot SE Asian food - now I seem to have destroyed my sense of smell through too much retro-haling of perique blends.
So, what shall I do? Swab it out with Everclear? Use a retort? A bristle pipe cleaner? My poor nose has been broken three times, partially severed once, but up to now I've retained an excellent sense of smell. Now I can hardly smell anything. Anyone else had this problem? Any advice?
My guess is that time will resolve the problem, but I'd welcome any suggestions. No more retro-haling for me for a while. :cry:

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Roth, no, I'm not 100% sure it's the Perique, but I have been smoking a lot of Peterson's Irish Oak recently, the only blend I smoke that has Perique in it, as far as I know. I think I'll stick with Latakia blends for a while, for a nice cool smoke. Hopefully, this, too, will pass, but it's really weird to suddenly lose the ability to smell.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yes, my advice would be to stick with the Latakia servings for a while. In the days when I was principally a VA or VaPer smoker, on occasion I thought, like you, I'd loss my sense of smell. Invariably it would come back after a week's abstinence. But for the last five years I've subsisted principally on a diet of Latakia and never has the problem returned.

Aug 14, 2012
So now you can Visit Venice without suffering from the stench. The natives say winter is the best time. I have not been there but always wanted to go. It is a preview of what is going to happen here in Manhattan soon.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I knew there must be an upside! Thanks for pointing it out, Foggy - I'll book my tickets immediately (but I hate Italian food).

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I tried a very small bowl of blending perique to learn its attributes.
Just once.
I retro-haled a mouthful.
Just once...
Time is a great healer, as they say.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I am happy to report that my smeller is smelling again. I conducted a short service today, and realized that I was able to smell the incense burning.
So apparently this was only a short-term phenomenon. I was really worried; even thought it might be some sort of mini-stroke, although there were no other symptoms. At my age anything can happen. But, it seems this was only the result of exhaling too much strong smoke through my nose.
So I think I'll lay off retro-haling for awhile, especially the Perique.
Oh, shucks, Foggy, I guess this means I can't go to Venice after all! :laughat:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ol' Doc Lawrence recommends that you get a tin of Perique, break out a small bowled churchwarden... and smoke a bowl.

A little "hair of the dog"'ll fix you right up.

Mmmmmm good stuff.
Dang! Now I've got to smoke a bowl of Perique.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.