PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumotaki

Lurker
Aug 29, 2015
Hi,
First post here. I've been smoking pipe for several months and never considered "the tobacco side" of the activity, meaning that I buy what's available in my town. Actually, there's a sumptuous tobacco shop here famous throughout the French-speaking part of Europe that regularly sells me their various and delicious home-blended "Danish mixtures". Never looked further until a week ago.
Knowing that I favored their "danish" to their "english" (from the room note point of view), I was seriously thinking to be an aromatic smoker. Actually, room note matters to me because I sport a fine-looking 'stache and I have my room note under my nose all day long even when I'm not smoking. Oh, and my wife cares a lot about our place not stinking of "english blends" odors. I like english blends, but that's another matter. My only real experience is Peterson Wild Atlantic. It's an english blend, right? Love it's peaty side, but it's not welcome at home.
On a whim, I bought from the said shop rather praised "aromatics" as Peterson's St Patricks Day and Gawith Celtic Talisman. On the first bowl of each, I was disgusted. Something between cheap air freshener and dishwasher soap. Totally chemical in flavors. How can I inflict that to myself?
Thus I'm lost. Am I an aromatic smoker? What is a "danish blend" if not an aromatic? What kind of tobacco should I try that doesn't offend bystanders? Any recommendations would be very welcome. Those recently bought two tins were a waste of money.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Well, for starters, the Peterson St. Patrick's Day was awful. I just didn't get it at all (and I really like good Aromatics).
I've found Aromatics to be the least forgiving when the blend isn't perfect. A lot of those blends need some drying time before you smoke them too. A danish mixture is is always an Aromatic (that I'm aware of), but "Danish Style" isn't necessarily Aromatic. If it's a mixture, you might want to see what the topping is. Maybe it's the type of flavoring that you don't like?
Peterson blends seem to vary wildly for me. For instance, the Summertime blend for 2014 was spot on, but this year's isn't. Like anything, you will sometimes come across a good batch and sometimes not.
All that being said, if you're trying to get okay room notes without chemical taste, try Savinelli Brunello Flake. It's my favorite blend to smoke around non-smokers. Just give it plenty of dry-out time first.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
First decide what you mean by an aromatic. If you mean copious amounts of topping applied to disguise second-rate tobacco that burns hot and goopy and has about the same nicotene content as air, then your choices are almost unlimited. Although if you buy in B&M's you're likely to find the same short list of wholesale aros with different labels.
If by aromatic you mean a tobacco that has a nice aroma when lit, and doesn't taste spicy, sour or smoky, then the choices are more limited. I happen to like Erik Stokkebye's 4th Generation 1931 Flake. It's a burley flake with a good nic hit, burns slow and cool, and has a nice honey taste and aroma.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Trying to coach someone else on blends tends to be futile. As you suggest, besides personal taste there is the consideration of how others react to the smell. I think you have to try various blends and see what works for you, with all the considerations. In your situation, buy only in small quantities until you have a few years of experience. Your tastes will change and develop, and keep even blends you don't like in case you try them again later and like them. Welcome aboard!

kumotaki

Lurker
Aug 29, 2015
Thanks a lot for your input.
About keeping the blends I don't like, there's a line to be drawn I guess... I kept that Peterson Wild Atlantic (first reaction was "no way, too smokey") and I am happily coming back. I keep some Dunhill 3 year matured Virginia even if that one smokes like cigarette tobacco. Still there's a charm to it as an easy smoke. I still dont get some Gawith Chocolate flake, but its not unpleasant once properly dried. St Patricks Day and Celtic Talisman, it's out of question. It smells like hookah tobacco or those little trees hanging from rear-view mirrors.
I could smoke my usual mixtures, but I want to learn some in the process. I have to educate myself a little indeed. My problem comes from the pipe tobacco fancy terminology. All I can say is that what I like is a loose cut mixture with virginia and plenty of black cavendish in it. It smells somewhat of honey out of the pouch and when lit, it's rather mild and people say that it reminds them of their grandfather smoking a pipe. But no strong flavoring additive to be detected. See, I really need some education.
Well, what I know now is that I don't like when the taste of tobacco is hidden by the flavouring. But still, there's a long way to go...

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Diversify a purchase of a number of different types. You may like certain blends but not many of the same type.

Mar 1, 2014
The most consistent trend that I've found in Aromatics is that the Alcohol flavored ones seem to be the most pleasant in general.
I would recommend Lakeland blends but you've already noted a dislike of one flower scented aromatics. If you're ever willing to give them a second chance Ennerdale is, in my opinion, the best blend in that category.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I personally loved the Peterson St. Patrick's Day blend and am very glad they've announced it will be a regular in their blend lineup.
I'd say give Lane Limited's 1Q and RLP-6 a try. They're quality aromatics at a nice bulk tobacco price.
Mac Baren aromatics would be a good go. They typically have a nice Va and Cavendish leaf with a casing that compliments the tobacco and doesn't overpower it.
Another thing to mention is that there are some Va blends and VaPers which can taste good and leave a tolerable to enjoyable room note. May want to give those a go as well.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Lost in 'aromatics'"
Do not panic. Do not move. Help is on the way!:
th

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I thought a Danish aromatic just meant it was from Denmark. I guess you can count me as confused as well. I know that there are tobaccos with the word "Danish" in them. Stokkebye has one. I also recall an article on here a few years ago about some WO Larsen aromatic that may have been "Danish".
You can always visit tobaccoreviews.com and read until your heart is content or your brain is mush, whichever comes first.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Please try Mohawk River or Central Park Stroll. Both have a great room note and I think they are fantastic aromatic blends. My fiancé likes them also.

kumotaki

Lurker
Aug 29, 2015
Thanks again for your help. I tend to be very partial with my likes and dislikes, but this is a reflection of my ignorance. Hope I don't sound aggressive, as I assure you I'm rather mild-mannered. I definitely didn't want to offense St Patrick's smokers, it's just not for me.
I gave my tobaccoes a thoughtful test, and here's what I can say. Straight virginias are okay, but lack something by themselves. Overtly flavored tobaccoes are a no go, especially fruit/citrus/floral scented ones. I'm not big on latakia except for those cold mornings outdoor, preferably with a fishing rod in hand or around the campfire. When at home, I like the sweetness of black cavendish. Now for the really stupid part. I tend to like dark colored (yet sweet) tobaccoes. Actually, I'm always drawn to sweet black stuff. Call it positive discrimination if you will. I love stout beers. Between two whiskys, I'll always go for the darker one. Jet black sugary coffee, overcooked spare ribs and so on... It's not that rational I admit.
Considering your suggestions, I ordered three tins: WO Larsen Signature, Mac Barren 7 Seas Black and Drew Estate Central Park Stroll. Web description and reviews seem to be spot on. I promise that I'll keep you updated.

P

pipebuddy

kumotaki, if you choose to smoke for others, because you are concerned about the roomnote, then you will never smoke what you truly enjoy. Besides, there will always be somene that will dislike your tobacco, whichever it is.

You must choose tobaccos you will enjoy for their taste. Celtic Talisman is, indeed, very chemical in taste, for having tried it. And most of the Peterson aromatic offerings are disappointing.

As I don't know which shop you are referring to, thus don't know what they offer, I cannot make recommendations that could be available to you. But if you tell me, I might be able to make some recommendations.

kumotaki

Lurker
Aug 29, 2015
if you choose to smoke for others, because you are concerned about the roomnote
I don't smoke for others, but I actually care about room note. First because my beard soaks in the room note and I can smell that all day long (let's call that beard note, then). Second because I like my home to smell of pleasant fragance rather than "charred pine wood", or worst, cigarette. I'm totally okay with strong english blends when outside though.
As I don't know which shop you are referring to, thus don't know what they offer, I cannot make recommendations that could be available to you. But if you tell me, I might be able to make some recommendations.
Sure. The place is called Tabacs Besson. Here's their website. Sadly it's in French only, but I love and constantly smoke their "Riquet" blend, the most black cavendish-centric of their "mélange danois" i.e. danish-type blends. It's said to be black cavendish and virginia only. In the same spirit, I also like their "Super Gin" (black cavendish, golden virginia, burley) and their "2000" (so-called "sweet" virginia, burley, no cavendish).
They also offer "english-type blends" in the spirit of Dunhill 965, Royal Yacht, Early Morning and Nightcap plus a balkan and a Perique blend. I smoke those far less, but I add them here to underline the fact that they are very "classic" and "gentlemanly" in their offerings. No super crazy aromatics, no strongly chemically sauced tobaccoes, etc. They address a knowledgable and rather elderly demographic. I'm 34 and definitely their youngest patron.
So all in all, I'm content with their offerings but I would like to pinpoint what they mean by "danish blend" if I were to move outside of my current town, which is bound to happen in the near future.

clangillespie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Ironwood Michigan
Celtic Talisman is actually a very good tobacco as is all Gawiths I have ever tried. Some tobacco needs air, I don't know why and I regret the days when I use to pitch whole tins after trying one bowl out of them. My first tin of Celtic Talisman almost went into the trash as well, now when I have a tobacco that is less than pleasing from the tin I empty it into a mason jar and let it sit till I get back around to it usually 6 to 8 weeks. One tin will not nearly fill a mason jar and I use a medium size so I end up with about half a jar, this leaves plenty of air. You would be surprised at how many tobaccos you didn't care for at first are surprisingly good after letting them get some sitting time using this method.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Lakeland blends are a hit or miss for some folk. Ol Shennadoah barrel 76 is an easy aromatic to enjoy, nothing complex there.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
@pylorns I didn't smoke last year's St. Pats, so can't make a comparison. It may be just my dislike of that cubed cut that held me back. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.