PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I went to one of my favorite coffee shops today to enjoy a breve and a pipe on their patio. Turns out that they have come under new management and they don't allow any smoking on the patio any more. What a shame, I used to love that coffee shop.
376cd047db3d3e4d2d7172d86124c971_zps52ca459e.jpg

On a bright note, I added a flake of MacBaren's Old Dark Fired to some Boswell's Northwoods to make a strangely satisfying mix.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
Sad to hear it. Times change, and not always for the better.
Then again, as a friend once told me, after storm there is always calm. Your old smoking spot will rest safely in your memory, perhaps you will get many a good smoke while walking around looking for a new one. Good luck.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Be sure to let the management know that they have lost your business and why. Any commercial venture is driven by the bottom line. Does a change in policy result in more profit or less? If you remain silent about your displeasure, they assume that their new policy is the correct one. Be polite, but tell them firmly that their decision means that you will no longer be a client. It may not make a difference, but if enough people complain they may rethink their policy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That was a lucky break, to have that patio for smoking. I'm so used to smoking being verboten, I would

never think to take a pipe to a coffee shop, bar, state park, etc. It's even tricky at campus hookah bars,

since I don't want to smoke a hookah, just my tobacco in my pipe. If you are smoking with others who

are paying for hookah, it might be okay. So it goes. I'm old enough, I go back to when I was a non-smoking

teenager on a bus from Chicago to Ft. Myers Florida with a busload of cigarette chain smokers. I had to get

off in Florida and walk around several blocks to get the nicotine-sick out of my blood. It wasn't a complaint.

It was what you did then. No questions. So I've seen my life from both sides now. But outdoors on the patio?

Seems a sad lose.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
What a shame. I would let them know just why they are losing business. Best of luck finding a new place.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
That is indeed unfortunate. The irony of course is in promoting a "cafe society" without the tobacco. Something inevitably is lost in the translation. I was in Europe a few years back, Portugal, Spain and France, and everyone was smoking in the cafes and pubs. I met quite a few pipe smokers on that trip, many sitting at outdoor cafes. Most were older gentlemen and, despite the language barrier, I was able to turn quite a few of them on to the GLP blends I was toting at the time.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I am still pretty lucky. There are still plenty of places for me to smoke my pipe, including indoors at few bars, the local tobacco shop, and ironically Starbucks patio. If all goes well I will be closing on house in the end of June thar has a massive front porch.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
That's a bummer; there are now two municipalities that only allow smoking on your own property in my city. I avoid them like the plague; I'm just waiting for the day when they say I can't smoke in my car while I drive through them. the world is definitely on it's ear.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That sucks. I would definitely tell management they have lost your business and that of your 50 smoking friends. Luckily here in Florida, we can still smoke outside at most places.

Status
Not open for further replies.