PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not as bad as losing a wheel on the highway, but it is an eerie feeling when a crown

comes rolling off in a mouthful of food. This one was the first crown in my head, but

had been replaced, and was done on top of a root canal. My dentist booked me the

same day, and set me up with a temporary crown while the new permanent is being

crafted. There seemed to be nothing to anchor it onto, but my DDS found a way. I

don't ask, just hope the magic lasts. I think he has five sons; I've been a faithful

"contributor" to all of their educations.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I had a crown on a back tooth come off after being on 2 years. I was able to have it glued back on the next day at my dentist. The following day it came off again and was swallowed while eating lunch. I had to pay for a new crown to be made. Later on it came off again and the root canal posts etc came out as well. Eventually had to have the tooth pulled. Should have done that the first time
Be very careful eating for a few days and I hope you have a good experience overall.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Yikes...
I had a filling fall out in a back tooth, and didn't realize it for longer than it should have taken. I've now got a new dentist, and a new crown to replace that particular tooth - there wasn't much left to anchor a new filling to once it was all cleaned out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have one crown but now appear to be getting a 2nd. I broke part of an old tooth repair last week. My dentist appointment is set for Thursday and I'm sure he'll want do do a crown now. My wife goes to the same guy and he always does a root canal before the crown, so I'll look forward to that as well. She says it isn't that bad, but I assume I'll be without the pipe for a few days at minimum?

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Al:
I would worry more about your wallet missing $1000+ than your pipe for a few days. Root canals and crowns are still expensive even after your dental plan pays its share.

I had a molar crack and split in my sleep while camping, and woke up to daggers in my mouth. It was perfectly fine tooth, with no cavities that we knew of. Doc said that it was sleeping with my mouth open in very cold weather. I'm still not sold on that reasoning.

I hope you get the new permanent in with no hitches.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I had a root canal and crown on a back upper left molar about twenty years ago. About a year ago, the crown fell off and a week later, I had the dentist glue it back on. A couple months later it fell off again. It's still sitting in a drawer somewhere. Doesn't really bother me not having it, but I might get it fixed one of these days.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I once met a guy who lost his finger and had it re-attached 3 times in a row... Can't claim any crown knowledge, Been fortunate enough to not get a cavity for 15 years.

ascarypotato

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
I had a root canal last week, and have to have a crown fitted in a few months. Was I supposed to put my pipe down? I didn't. I left it 24h, but that was it.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
My dentist told me some of the older dentists still in practice use "Jujubes" gummy candies to pull crowns off - he told me this while re-attaching a crown that came loose while eating Milk Duds. Those things will pull the fillings right out of your teeth!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Oh my. I hope the temporary holds up until the permanent one is available. I hope I never have to go through that as I love my jelly beans.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just got back from the dentist. Jury is still out, but not so bad. He was able to make a repair, but he's not sure how long it will hold as there wasn't much left. The dentist says since this is my 1st molar, there's nothing to gain by trying to save or cap it, should the repair fail. He said I'll never miss it and will pull it if the repair fails. So, no root canal!

justin

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
In my opinion consult a good dentist before deciding on anything. Dental crown can be easily placed on your tooth, but the main issue is, till how long it will hold. Consulting a good dentist will ensure what is appropriate for you.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Probably for the best, the old fashioned way. I detest the dentist, haven't been in about 10 years. Got sick of paying £150+ for fillings I know I don't need. Unfortunately, dental work isn't free like the rest of healthcare in the uk, so I'm damned if I'm paying for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.