PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Sad news from Baton Rouge. Bayou Tobacco is closing at the end of the month. This has nothing to do with the FDA and deeming rules.

The shop has been in business for 50 years. Mike, the owner died a couple of years ago and his wife Sarah kept the place going but they had planned to retire. She just feels now is a good time.
When my son was living in Baton Rouge, I visited the shop on a monthly basis. Sorry I haven't had the time to make the drive over there for the past 3 months.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1864472250512829/

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The world that a lot of us grew up in is slowly dying around us. Terrible news about the shop. Best of wishes to Sarah though.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Sorry to hear.

I get to Mississippi once or twice a year so will try and visit her new shop when it opens.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>"world that a lot of us grew up in is slowly dying around us." -- Way2trudat, embers. :(:(:( In my biz (medical libraries), "B&M"s have been dropping like flies for over 20 years with no end in sight. I'm *used* to there not being anywhere near as many B&M pipe shops as there were BITD, but it always saddens me to see another go, especially if it's an institution. Glad for the lady, though -- she can do what she's earned now; just wish hubby were still there to do it with her. :cry:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I do hate to see them go, but all good things must end. 50 years is a great run. I have 2 favorite pipes from Bayou. First time I went in there, I didn’t have a pipe with me, but they kept a box of tiny corncob pipes that they gave out for sampling. Always felt welcome there too, as seldom as I was able to visit.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Sad to see another one go.

I remember stopping in there 4-5 times over the years. While I didn’t get to BR too often from S.TX, it was a nice place to stop in and peruse what the coonasses were smoking.

There’s a bit of MacBaren VA#1 purchased in ‘99 still in a jar from them. Back in those days I could barely imagine smoking 15-20 year old tobacco.

Have some fun, it’s later than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.