PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Beginning my biannual saga through Middle Earth via the extended DVDs of the trilogy. In my opinion the most profound series of movies ever made.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
In the 2nd and 3rd movies, every time there's a scene with Sam and Frodo talking and (usually) crying, I hit Chapter Skip to get back to the action.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
If you like the movies, try the audiobooks by Robert Engel. He does all the voice acting, sings EVERY SONG, and recites every poem.
If you travel in the car, you will thank me.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I had the complete Silmarillion on CD in the car. I think it was 12 discs. I can't imagine how many LOTR would take up. Still, well worth it. Can't wait for that movie!

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
If you like the movies, try the audiobooks by Robert Engel. He does all the voice acting, sings EVERY SONG, and recites every poem.
If you travel in the car, you will thank me.
This is a fantastic idea! I'm going to do it. Thanks ocpsdan!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Next time I get on a reading binge, I'm gonna do LOTR and smoke a Warden. Right now, it's guitar and the pipe of the day, though.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Baron, I like the new picture. I also have a grey tophat. It goes well with my hair and beard.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
The first real books I ever red I skipped picture books and stuff like that xD Was 4 when my grandma gave me all four of them still have them with their beautifully cracked spines :D

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
@profpar

@stogie37
I make a point to listen to it once or twice a year. Takes a few months... but addictive as heroine. Beware!! :wink:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Tolkien was a gifted genius. I read the books as a boy, and then again prior to the movies. I think the movies were just about as good as was possible to make them...very well done.
As a mythologist, Tolkien knew deep truths he was writing about, both in an esoteric/symbolic sense as well as actual real, hidden (occult) history. He definitely did not just conjur it all out of his imagination.
And, of course, you just gotta love the prominent place pipe smoking has in the stories. :puffy:

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I don't know about the States but In Canada, when his books were fist sold here they were in plain brown wrappers basically one step from being banned. Back in the day he was considered very much the radical.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I bought the extended version box set for my brother for his birthday one year. I have to say I love the extended versions better. Definitely would have preferred the movies done that way with a twenty minute intermission. So much of what was left out ended up being my favorite scenes.
Tolkien was definitely a great writer.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@barkar: HA! Tolkien in a brown wrapper...how insane. As far as I know, I don't think that ever happened anywhere in these formerly united states. I guess it shouldn't surprise me though...the "powers that be" are certainly under the spell of the ring of power, and would react very Gollumishly to any suggestion of tossing their precious back into the cracks of doom from whence it was forged.
It must be remembered that although LOTR became very popular during the conscious awakening period of the '60s, Tolkien wrote them long before that. The Hobbit goes all the way back to 1937.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just finished re-reading those books,for the first time in perhaps 25 years. (I have probably read the saga a dozen times.)

I noticed with great amusement in The Hobbit that, although Bilbo smokes a churchwarden,Gandalf smokes a short clay. Much more practical for a wandering wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.