(31 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Ahmad Othman
  • Latest reply from Ahmad Othman
  1. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

Been a while since I've been around.. I hope you are all well.. recently I had a trip to Dubai, in which I decided to stash on baccy since it is getting awful in Egypt and finding any is a hard task, so I got that awesome collection from Dubai Duty Free. And I also had some tea pairing for them from the awesome TWG shop.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul. Good to see you made in back safely and scored some good stuff. Is it hard or impossible to do mail order in Egypt?

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul Ahmad. The Davidoff Flake Medallions are one of my favorites.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul. Good to see you made in back safely and scored some good stuff. Is it hard or impossible to do mail order in Egypt?

I tried once from 4noggins, and Egyptian customs savaged me on taxes and fees. there was a whole thread about it here.. I had to pay 50$ for a 46$ order.

Nice haul Ahmad. The Davidoff Flake Medallions are one of my favorites.

They became one of my favourites instantly,alongside the Danish mixture

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. I'm not familiar with Bentley. Let us know how those are.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Good. I didn't know that Bentley had pipe tobacco blends.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bentley blends are made by Dan Tobacco.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul! Not many duty free shops have anywhere near that selection. May I ask about what did you pay per 50 or 100 gr tin?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul! Not many duty free shops have anywhere near that selection. May I ask about what did you pay per 50 or 100 gr tin?

Sure thing..~9$ and ~13$ respectively

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad this all got back home through customs. Nice supply!

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks.. and yeah, so am I

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice score, I had a sample of Viginia Honey years ago, but its hard to find (reasonable price) in the US

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice score. I just went to the Bahamas and all I saw was cigars in the duty free shops. So. Stocked up on Scotch instead.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Buster good plan.. Dubai is mainly cigar oriented as well, there is rarely any good baccy other than Duty Free

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice score, I had a sample of Viginia Honey years ago, but its hard to find (reasonable price) in the US

Which one of these is the virginia honey?

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Why does the vanilla cream have a picture of a cigarette on it?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why does the vanilla cream have a picture of a cigarette on it?

Vanilla Cream is the only baccy I bought from inside Dubai, rather than Duty Free, so it follows the regulations of putting labels on tobacco products saying you'll totally die

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

On one of the latest Inter Tabac fairs I took a sample of Bentley The London Pine with me. I smoked it at home and it was one of the foulest latakia blends I ever smoked. Chemical with a strange light off-putting pine cone topping..

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On one of the latest Inter Tabac fairs I took a sample of Bentley The London Pine with me. I smoked it at home and it was one of the foulest latakia blends I ever smoked. Chemical with a strange light off-putting pine cone topping..

ouch..that is sad news.. I really enjoyed The planters sweet, and was looking forward to trying the other two

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

strange light off-putting pine cone topping

That's Lysol. Keeps it germ-free. It's good for you citizen so learn to like it! haha

it follows the regulations of putting labels on tobacco products saying you'll totally die

The way this is going, they're going to start claiming that you'll be struck by lightning if you even think about smoking, or that it will make you go blind or put hair on your palms.

Nanny states!

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The way this is going, they're going to start claiming that you'll be struck by lightning if you even think about smoking, or that it will make you go blind or put hair on your palms.

Nanny states!

Yeah.. And especially Dubai.. they are trying to be "smoking free" No smoking allowed anywhere except in select cafés and pubs.. and soon this will be eliminated

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have been to Dubai once, smoking there is a huge dilemma. Either you have to smoke outside under 50C (122F) or you have to sit in a cool cafe and breath air.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahmad, how do you find Dubai? I'm not likely to travel there. The travel stories I've seen on it look bizarre, the extravagance, the ski slopes in an air conditioned dome, the condos on breakwater networks, the pools on penthouse roofs, etc. My sister has friends who relocated there with a newborn. It looks/feels like a settlement on another planet. How was it in person?

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

In Dubai, you are either very poor or very rich. There are two sides of Dubai which is connected through a highway. If you go to Deira you will see immigrant Indians, Pakistanis, etc working under 40-50C (110-120F). That was one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life. That's the real part of Dubai working and making money. They work so hard to earn few hundred dollars a month and send it to their families. If you go to Jumeirah beach or Burj Khalifa or a mall you will see an Arab with his 4 wives and 14 children behind walking in the brands like Louis Vuitton or Chanel.
    Interesting things I have seen there: some of the places are equipped with automated water sprayers. Those devices spray water droplets onto you to cool you. Drinking water is free in Dubai, if you ask for a water while sitting in a cafe or restaurant, they won't charge you for that. They don't turn off the engine of the vehicle if they are leaving the car for 10-20 minutes (to let the air conditioner work).

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been to Dubai once, smoking there is a huge dilemma. Either you have to smoke outside under 50C (122F) or you have to sit in a cool cafe and breath air.

True.. and it's getting worse.. they are soon preventing smoking anywhere, even in bars and pubs.

Ahmad, how do you find Dubai? I'm not likely to travel there. The travel stories I've seen on it look bizarre, the extravagance, the ski slopes in an air conditioned dome, the condos on breakwater networks, the pools on penthouse roofs, etc. My sister has friends who relocated there with a newborn. It looks/feels like a settlement on another planet. How was it in person?

It is extremely extravagant as you said.. And all these are true..I stayed there for a week and my conclusion was "It's an amazing place to live, for all the excellent infrastructure, facilities and luxury.. But not much of a place for tourism" as it has no soul, no character and EXTREMELY expensive...But my friends living there are enjoying the benefits as salaries there are considerably high.. And yes, in any given residential tower, there is a gym, a Sauna and a pool... mostly penthouse pool.. And there is a huge ski dome with live penguins and Metro stations that look and feel out of a sci-fi film. with trains to match

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In Dubai, you are either very poor or very rich. There are two sides of Dubai which is connected through a highway. If you go to Deira you will see immigrant Indians, Pakistanis, etc working under 40-50C (110-120F). That was one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life. That's the real part of Dubai working and making money. They work so hard to earn few hundred dollars a month and send it to their families. If you go to Jumeirah beach or Burj Khalifa or a mall you will see an Arab with his 4 wives and 14 children behind walking in the brands like Louis Vuitton or Chanel.
    Interesting things I have seen there: some of the places are equipped with automated water sprayers. Those devices spray water droplets onto you to cool you. Drinking water is free in Dubai, if you ask for a water while sitting in a cafe or restaurant, they won't charge you for that. They don't turn off the engine of the vehicle if they are leaving the car for 10-20 minutes (to let the air conditioner work).

I have rarely seen emirati people there.. Mostly indians, and Philippines.. And they stack throughout the whole job market, from garbage collection to bank management... Followed by Lebanese, Jordanians and Egyptians.. then Europeans and Americans.. As out of the 9M inhabitants there, there are around 900k Emirati.

And true, there is a stark difference between people in Dubai.. It's either filthy rich or aspiring to, who are basically living in HUGE malls.. and believe me when I say HUGE...and then there are the outskirts poor..

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the massive development, skyscrapers and malls, were based on oil profits. I'm not sure how Dubai will weather the fall in oil prices. Maybe the infrastructure is at a place where it can sustain itself as a financial and marketing center, but the extravagance seems a lot to carry on that alone. I assume Dubai is interested in relocations from London after Brexit.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the massive development, skyscrapers and malls, were based on oil profits. I'm not sure how Dubai will weather the fall in oil prices. Maybe the infrastructure is at a place where it can sustain itself as a financial and marketing center, but the extravagance seems a lot to carry on that alone. I assume Dubai is interested in relocations from London after Brexit.

Surprisingly Dubai is the poorest part of Emirates in terms of Petrol.. It nearly has none.. However, it positioned itself as a global business hub and touristic attraction. And this is how they get most of their GDI... I assume that the extravagance will recess once the Emirati petrol dries out, but I think Dubai will be the biggest survivor of the whole country..

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. fafnir

fafnir

Login to Send PM

Didn't Abu Dhabi bail out Dubai after the financial crises in 2009 and now owns/ pulls the strings, if I recall correctly Dubai was on the verge of bankruptcy and the other Emirate nations had to supply cash as Dubai's sovereign wealth funds got smashed?

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. fafnir

fafnir

Login to Send PM

Oh the joys of google.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8382275.stm

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is true. And it was because the mortrage crisis savaged Dubai. And they were building the longest pencil in the world

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigrmaster, ben88, renfield, szconrad, paulfg