PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

oudis

Lurker
Feb 17, 2012
Hello everyone,
This is my first “official” questions to you all (I am not counting the self-introduction I posted), so first of all I’d like to say hi and thanks for letting me be part of this online community.
A couple of days ago I received a gorgeous churchwarden pipe I bought on eBay; it’s classy and yet has a rough quality that I love. As it often happens with eBay purchases, despite the fact that I checked before buying it and there was no mention to mortise/tenon problems in its description, it has a loose tenon.
Now, I’ve been through this before and at that time I did my homework: I checked on You Tube, the place I always went to for pipe-related matters before joining this forum. Its advantage? You see what those guys are doing.
Basically I learnt that there seems to be only one way to deal with this: to warm up the tenon with either a) hot water, or b) a lighter, and then 1) push it against a table or 2) introduce the little poker of the 3-in-1 cleaning tool, or a screwdriver, inside it, to stretch it.
I tried both methods on two different pipes. When I used the a-1 technique the hot water touched the tip of the shank and produced a discoloration that’s still there. When I used a-2, I stretched the tenon too much and thus got myself another problem to solve.
The question is, does anybody have any idea or alternative technique to suggest? Or should I simply wait? I’ve heard that when you start smoking a pipe after a long time (this one was an estate pipe) the briar swells, expands, and that gets rid of this kind of problem; but it might be a pipe smokers’ urban legend ;-)
Thanks in advance.
Oudis
Post Scriptum: Why can’t I see my avatar next to my messages when I uploaded one?

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
There are several ways to cure this problem, the safest is to apply beeswax or carnauba wax to the tenon, another is to lightly coat the tenon with clear nail varnish, I have always used the heat and push way, if you over enlarge the tenon you can reheat and work it in gently or roll it between your fingers before it has hardened. I hope you have success with one of these methods.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
A quick easy fix is a little carnauba or bees wax on the tenon. Its surprising how often it works.
I've seen people talking about small layers of clear fingernail polish.
The wax thing has always worked for me. I've never had to try anything else. :wink:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I use wax too. Also important to note is that when you smoke it it will expand too. Not necessarily permanently but It will tighten as you smoke it, depending on how loose it is.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Hot water,especially if it's near boiling will make a vulcanite stem oxidize almost instantly. Vulcanite does have some memory. If you re-heat the stem,using something other than hot water,like a heat gun or even a hair dryer it may shrink up some as it cools. Failing that, a little LIGHT sanding may be called for.
Sometimes smoking will tighten up a loose stem,sometimes not. Try the beeswax or nail polish as suggested.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Or should I simply wait? I’ve heard that when you start smoking a pipe after a long time (this one was an estate pipe) the briar swells, expands, and that gets rid of this kind of problem; but it might be a pipe smokers’ urban legend
This is no urban legend, most pipes that haven't been smoked for some time will lossen up. Nearly all will tighten up after a few bowls. Any time you make an alteration to a pipe there is a chance of doing damage. Why take the risk when it usually isn't necessary?

oudis

Lurker
Feb 17, 2012
Or should I simply wait? I’ve heard that when you start smoking a pipe after a long time (this one was an estate pipe) the briar swells, expands, and that gets rid of this kind of problem; but it might be a pipe smokers’ urban legend
"This is no urban legend, most pipes that haven't been smoked for some time will lossen up. Nearly all will tighten up after a few bowls. Any time you make an alteration to a pipe there is a chance of doing damage. Why take the risk when it usually isn't necessary?
Then I will probably smoke it the way it is for a month or so and if the problem is still there use the fingernail polish approach. Thanks to everybody that replied.
Cheers,
Oudis.

saint

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
First have a glass of ice water close at hand, then heat up the tenon of your stem,(I use the heating element of my electric kitchen stove)until you just start seeing smoke comming off the tenon. Then plunge it in the ice water and leave in for about 30 seconds. Wipe it off and try putting it back in your pipe. Repeat the process until the sten fits tightly. Depending on how loose the stem was you might have to repeat the process 2 or 3 times. learned this from a old time pipe smoker and it has always worked for me.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
About the bees wax method. Do you just rub a little around the tenon and stick it in the shank or what? Does it last a long time or wear out? I once got an estate pipe that was pack with something in that area. I bet i was bees wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.