PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So a few years ago, the stem on my Stanwell became loose. Out of no where. I kept hearing stories about if you smoke it and leave the stem out afterwards, that it would become too tight. So I tried that many many times without any luck. Then I heard that you could heat up the end of the tenon, and smush it down, and kind of flare it out.
That sort of worked, for the first 3/4 of the way in, but it was still loose when it was fully inserted. And I managed to mess up the airway, pipe cleaners would get stuck, etc.
So I deleted with that for a long time untill I couldn't take it anymore. And googled, and googled and googled some more, untill I found this video. Not only did it work, but he goes into details about why it works.
Many people probably already knew this, but I thought this could be helpful to those who deal with loose stems.
It worked like a charm. My favorite pipe, is once again back to normal.
loose pipe stem

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hmmm. Glad it worked for you. The link isn’t working for me at the moment.
Edit* never mind, finally got it to work.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Another great fix is the stem tightening kit from Pimo but it wouldn’t work on pipes like Stanwell filtered pipes. I honestly don’t know if Pimo is still around anymore? Didn’t they combine forces with Vermont Freehand? Not sure if they still sell the kit though??
Ha yeah you must be fast, it took me three edits to get the link to work.
Lol. I didn’t realize you had just posted this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm too impatient for videos. Is there a brief summary?
Heat the tenon and set it with cool water. Ebonite has a shape memory, and will return to its original shape when heated. I've used this method for years now and it works great. That kit from Pimo can easily split a tenon if you're not careful. Walt himself posted a thread about his method a few years ago.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/suffering-from-chronic-loose-stem-syndrome

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I kept hearing stories about if you smoke it and leave the stem out afterwards, that it would become too tight.
Well.... The mortise hole will become a bit larger as the briar dries, but is likely to feel too tight as the moisture that's there and acts as a lubricant will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.