PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I have a briar pipe, an expensive one, that I have not enjoyed smoking. I haven't been able to finish a bowl before the tobacco is a wet mess at the bottom of the bowl. I admit that my technique is poor I suppose because I have an impatient appetite. I prefer the open draw of my MM corncob pipes, and this pipe has a tight draw.
I was about to return the pipe to smoking pipes.com...even wrote a letter and had it boxed and ready to send. (The pipe is a billiard Castello Old Antiqueri) But I gave the pipe one more try, this time with the codger blend, Half n Half. The bowl was enjoyable. I did it again tonight, this time with Prince Albert, and the smoke was good.
I'm thinking the difference is the cut of the tobacco. So my question is are there other, more sophisticated blends cut the same way?

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
What was you smoking in it that was giving you a wet smoke? Some tobaccos I smoke, certainly some of the flakes I smoke, do benefit from some drying time before smoking.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Drying your tobacco seems the obvious thing to try, particularly if your other blends are relatively new and stored properly and your codger blends were lying around for a while in the pouch (and drying out).

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Boy, so many variables here. I think the big question is what were you smoking before, and how were you preparing it?
One thing about the "old codger" blends is that they do tend to be very forgiving to smoke....I find there is a lot more to blame in my technique than in my pipes!
I used to a pretty active competitive pistol shooter- lots of guys blamed their pistols for accuracy...I found you had to be a pretty dang good shooter before you could blame the gun!

May 4, 2015
The new Dunhill stuff is cut in a way that's about as forgiving as possible. If you can't smoke their ribbons, might be time for some self-reflection.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Far from pipesmokingtom- I was shooting Production Class in United State Practical Shooting Association. Its a "tactical style" run and gun- all about getting shots on multiple targets quickly while moving/navigating. I shot a straight stock Glock 17, nothing fancy.
I've shot one Glock GSSF match....it was fun but you wait forever to shot a 30 second string, then wait forever again.
Between cost, children, and work....I don't really do it anymore. Sure improved my skills though.

May 4, 2015
That does sound way fun.... But you don't get to dress up like a cowboy, so -1 there :)
As far as cost - Yeah - outside of owning a horse or yacht racing, pretty sure competition shooting is the most expensive hobby on the planet.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is either your technique or it is maybe a Castello that was not drilled properly. Castello's are known for their wide open draws as many of their loyal customers buy them specifically because they are drilled normally at around 4.5mm. If there is anyway for you to measure the inside shank dimension? If there is, I would recommend measuring so you can find out if it is the pipe or you that is causing you problems. Since you bought it at SP, I would ask them to let you ship it back so they can measure it for you, and if it is indeed not drilled properly, they can fix it for you.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I jar all my tobacco in small jars, even the codger blends, after I open the tins and pouches or when I buy in bulk. I'm pretty conscientious about keeping tobacco fresh. I had tried a lot of my good tobaccos in that pipe (I've lost my mind like some of you and have about 10 pounds of about 50 blends) and I've tried them fresh and dried to a crisp.
Part of my problem is that the pipe has fairly good sized bowl, so I guess a lot of water can accumulate in it.
anyway, this pipe is my most expensive one and I want to smoke some good vapers and English tobaccos in it. Maybe I need to prepare my tobaccos so they approximate the cut of the codger blends.

May 4, 2015
Maybe a forehead slapper here, but are you smoking with pipe cleaners handy? Maybe running one down the stem/shank every ten minutes or so will help you soak up the excess moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.