PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
I've been smoking some Wessex Burley Slice and Solani Aged Burley Flake. LOVE IT.

I have only tried burley in flake form and wanted to try some straight non flake burley. I'm not a fan of Kentucky. I don't like the spicy. I'm not a fan of lets say... Old Dark Fired or Solani Silver Flake.
Americans tend to relate burley to cigarettes however in Canada, cigarettes are mostly Virginia based, that's why I find Virginia tobacco reminds be of cigarettes.
Any favorite straight burley that's not a flake? How about Burley blends with some Virginia, (without Kentucky). Looking for that rich burley taste.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
+1 on Pegasus, and SPC has it 20% off on bulk.
http://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=138729

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
One could search far and wide, and not find better than the two you mentioned.
C&D has a series of burley flakes that are comparable. Not a loose cut, but the flakes are soft and rub out easy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe it's in its own category, but burley lovers should try Tobac-Manil Semois, the Belgium single-leaf burley variant. It's polarizing; some love it, and some find it awful, but if you like burley a lot, this may be for you. It comes quite dry in a paper package and smells rather barn-like. It goes best in a deep pipe like a MM freehand or a briar that is fairly deep. It burns fast but has no bite (for me). Several of our sponsor retailers offer Semois.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
C&D Big 'n' Burley was recommended to me a while back and I liked it. It only comes in bulk, I think.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I like Mac Baren Symphony, Golden Extra and the Burley London. Also like to mix C&D blending burley- White, Dark or Cube Cut with Mac B. VA #1 or McClelland 5100 Red Cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.